Skip to comments.Jeering mob of children 'stoned father to death as he played cricket' (UK)
Posted on 07/31/2007 5:36:50 PM PDT by fanfan
A gang of children killed a father-of-two by stoning him as he played a makeshift game of cricket with his son, a court has heard.
They surrounded a tennis court where Ernest Norton and his teenage son had set up a wicket and hurled bricks and debris in a "completely unprovoked attack".
Mr Norton, 67, collapsed in a pool of blood after being hit by a piece of rock and died from heart failure, the Old Bailey was told.
The gang, some as young as ten, then ran away and allegedly a witness heard one say, "Did you get him?" and others replying: "Yeah I think so."
Five boys, all aged 13 or under at the time of the onslaught last year, are accused of unlawfully killing Mr Norton, a retired engineering draughtsman. None can be named for legal reasons.
The court heard that the boys, all from Kent, were members of a gang called TNE - The New Estate - who had planned to take part in a "gang fight" earlier the same day.
Instead they went to the leisure centre in Erith, Kent, where Mr Norton and his 17-year-old son James were spending their Sunday afternoon playing cricket on the centre's tennis courts.
David Fisher QC, prosecuting, said the boys carried out a "completely unnecessary, pointless and random attack."
He added: "A group of about ten to 15 youths gathered by the fencing surrounding the courts and began shouting abuse at Ernest Norton and his son. These five defendants were part of that group.
"As the abuse worsened, they began throwing stones and pieces of wood.
"Ernest Norton was struck at least twice on the head by these missiles and one of the stones hit him on his left side of his face, causing a fracture to his cheekbone.
"He collapsed and suffered a heart attack. Nobody relishes the fact that these five boys are on trial at the Central Criminal Court for the serious crime of manslaughter. But their youth is no defence.
"I expect they deeply regret the death of Ernest Norton and there is no doubt they did not intend that he should die. But it was their course of conduct, quite probably with others, that caused his death."
The attack happened on February 26 last year while Mr Norton's wife Linda was in the leisure centre using the gym.
He and his son went off to play cricket, entering the tennis courts through a gate and locking it behind them.
They set up the game and James started bowling while his father stood behind the stumps. Then James saw a group of up to 20 youths approaching.
"They started shouting insults, mostly saying James was a rubbish bowler", said Mr Fisher.
"To his father they were saying 'Go back to your old people's home'."
"While some of the boys left, five to seven began throwing stones, rocks and pieces of wood at the pair, with two attempting to climb the 9ft-high wire fence surrounding the courts."
When Mr Norton collapsed, his son ran to the leisure centre for help. A policeman and ambulance crews tried to revive Mr Norton, but he died at the scene.
One local woman saw a group of boys running away from the scene and heard one shout, "Oh no" and another exclaim, "He's dead."
Another witness heard one say "Did you get him?" and others replying '"Yeah, I think so."
A post-mortem found Mr Norton, who had a triple bypass operation in 1977 but was in good health, died as a result of heart disease alleged to have been brought on by the stress of the attack. He also left a 25-year-old daughter.
All the boys, who were each accompanied by a parent in the dock, are on bail. They deny manslaughter and violent disorder.
The trial continues.
Mr Norton, a retired draughtsman, was told to Go back to the old peoples home. One of the mob yelled, Im going to knock you out, and called Mr Norton a no-tooth c**t while others called James a rubbish bowler, the court was told.
As the torrent of abuse continued, Mr Norton approached the youths and was struck by a stone on the left temple, fracturing his cheekbone. Mr Nortons wife, Linda, returned from the gym to find him lying in a pool of blood as desperate attempts were made to save his life. He had collapsed after suffering a heart attack and, although his son and an off-duty policeman battled to resuscitate him, he died after being airlifted to hospital. Police found at least 17 stones in the tennis court and said that Mr Norton had been struck on the head by at least two.
The court was told that two of the boys spat at Mr Norton during the attack and that their DNA was matched to saliva stains on his jacket.
One witness, whose home overlooked the tennis courts, heard one of the group shout: Oh no. Another screamed: Hes dead, hes dead. As the mob scattered, they were overheard bragging: I got a shot and I got him with one.
David Fisher, QC, for the prosecution, said: This was a completely unnecessary, pointless and random attack by these five defendants. They are jointly responsible for this attack and jointly responsible for his death.
Mr Fisher added: Nobody, I hope, relishes the fact that these five boys, because that is what they are, are on trial at the Central Criminal Court for the serious crime of manslaughter. But, I am sure you will readily understand, youth is no defence.
They were quite old enough to know that to abuse Ernest Norton and his son was wrong and that to throw stones and pieces of wood at them was deeply wrong.
It was their joint course of conduct, quite probably with others, that caused his death. He said that Mr Norton had led a fit and active life-style and had been in good health on the day he died. But, he added, the stress and trauma of abuse and a physical attack would make him vulnerable to a heart attack.
A young girl had witnessed the attack and named a boy who had thrown a large stone, the size of half a brick, which hit Mr Norton on the head. The boy and at least one other youngster at the scene were said to be part of a gang called TNE, short for The New Estate.
After his arrest, one of the boys told police that they were waiting for a fight involving four local gangs at a park.
The five youths, who cannot be named, deny the charges.
The trial continues.
My Dad died when he was 64.
I was 17.
I miss my Dad, daily.
In the article reference is made to a “gang” or a “group”.
How about PACK?
Personally I prefer murder in the first. And no I doubt they regret it. They regret being caught but I doubt they regret the murder.
Given what you posted, I’m calling BS on the original headline.
There is just about no way a “fit and active” man would have a heart attack from being hit on the head.
Concussion, yes. Seizures, yes. Heart attack, I’m saying no.
As opposed to an honor killing, which is totally legal now.
What? No mention of the national origin of the perps? Oh, this is once-Great britain. never mind...
“Did you get him?” and others replying: “Yeah I think so. Allah Be Praised”
There i fixed it
Chris Dodd is 68 and his daughter is 5 or 6.
so we still don’t know if they’re islamic thugs or just plain ole thugs...eh?
Stonings and beheadings are Limey pursuits.
Wouldn't this be loverly?
As opposed to necessary, pointed, and directed attacks!
Every day the news out of the UK reads more and more like A Clockwork Orange....
Man robbed, beaten in 'senseless' attack
Tue, July 31, 2007
Man robbed, beaten in 'senseless' attack
By MEGAN GILLIS, SUN MEDIA
They even took his shoes.
A slight 20-year-old man faces a long recovery after being badly beaten by a gang of thugs who jumped him, robbed him and left him for dead.
Kevin Pelletier was heading home with his first paycheque from a new construction job at about 1:30 a.m. Friday when four to five men attacked and beat him with a baton.
They took his money, shopping bags and the six-pack he'd planned to share with his dad to celebrate his new job. They left him in a pool of blood on a side street near Cyrville and Ogilvie roads.
"They even took the shoes off his feet and left him to die," said his stricken mom, Kim Morris, 43. "(A police patrol) was just driving by. If he hadn't been driving by, we would probably have lost Kevin that night.
Perhaps he didn’t take the threat seriously until it was too late?
Requesting your presence. Is the Daily Mail a reliable source? I lived in the UK back in the late 80’s. Most of my fellow Airmen couldn’t get past page 3 of British newspapers.
" The five youths, who cannot be named, deny the charges. "
What sick pups. Prayers for this family and their father.