Doesn't matter what the amp rating of the supply is, it will only push so many amps into the battery at a given voltage. Perhaps you meant to crank up the voltage and touch to the terminals briefly, this would push more amps through the battery and, as you say, not to be tried by at home!
I understand. Voltage is potential.
I never tried the experiment. I only recently heard of it.
The main idea is to blow away the “memory” junction that is formed in batterys without blowing up the battery.
Upping the voltage a tad is a good idea.
The memory junction is the resistance that we need to overcome
NiCd cells which have developed internal short circuits can sometimes be "zapped" back to life by a high-current pulse, which burns out the metal whiskers which caused the short. This is usually done by charging a good- sized capacitor up to 5 volts or so (from a DC power supply, through a series resistor), and then "sparking" the NiCd cell from the capacitor... the sudden current surge will vaporize the whiskers. The cells should be removed from the battery [pack] before this is done... don't try to "zap" the cells while they're still connected to one another or to any other equipment.
BTW, speaking from personal experience, I would recommend against trying the pickle experiment.