Skip to comments.Police: Man in critical condition after exposure to ricin
Posted on 02/29/2008 12:39:14 PM PST by SeafoodGumbo
A man who stayed in a Las Vegas hotel room where ricin was found is in critical condition at a hospital, where he has been since mid-February, said a Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department official.
A man is in critical condition after exposure to ricin at a Las Vegas, Nevada, hotel.
(Excerpt) Read more at cnn.com ...
The less info they give about the man, the more #2 seems likely.
We saw one in full blooms out near Pecos river in W. Texas and took some of the *beans* home to plant not knowing what they were. (never did plant them because we put them in the kitchen window to dry and they exploded). (think they’re related to Mexican Jumping beans).
Seen them in many locals in the Austin/San Antonio area.(mostly along waterways and in people’s yards). A lot of people use them to shade their gardens due to the fact they grow up to 15 ft.
Hmm.. missed that story. Must have been overshadowed by a Paris Hilton DUI or Britney Spears beaver flashing incident.
Well that clears everything up. Pass the salt please.
It would take a deliberate act to make ricin and use it to poison people. Accidental exposure to ricin is highly unlikely.
People can breathe in ricin mist or powder and be poisoned.
Ricin can also get into water or food and then be swallowed.
Pellets of ricin, or ricin dissolved in a liquid, can be injected into peoples bodies.
Depending on the route of exposure (such as injection or inhalation), as little as 500 micrograms of ricin could be enough to kill an adult. A 500-microgram dose of ricin would be about the size of the head of a pin. A greater amount would likely be needed to kill people if the ricin were swallowed.
In 1978, Georgi Markov, a Bulgarian writer and journalist who was living in London, died after he was attacked by a man with an umbrella. The umbrella had been rigged to inject a poison ricin pellet under Markovs skin.
Some reports have indicated that ricin may have been used in the Iran-Iraq war during the 1980s and that quantities of ricin were found in Al Qaeda caves in Afghanistan.
Ricin poisoning is not contagious. It cannot be spread from person to person through casual contact.
Deaths caused by ingestion of seeds are rare. Eight beans are considered toxic for an adult. A solution of saline and glucose has been used to treat ricin overdose.  The case experience is not as negative as popular perception would indicate.
Equally important, nobody but a a fide researcher, terrorist, or hit person wants to posses it.
Would that be in the butt, Bob?
"Ricin is the third most toxic substance known after plutonium and botulism.
Its recent discovery at a Wood Green flat in London marks the first 'specific threat' in the United Kingdom linked to Muslim extremists since Sept. 11, 2002.
Ricin's potential as a powerful terrorist weapon is high, as it is relatively easy to produce and has no antidote.
Indeed, it takes so little ricin to kill one human being that its use can be undetectable.
It also offers a method to instigate panic and disorder as a "disabling agent" if used to pollute water and food supplies."
Deaths caused by ingestion of seeds are rare.
Eight beans are considered toxic for an adult.
A solution of saline and glucose has been used to treat ricin overdose. 
The case experience is not as negative as popular perception would indicate.
CDI Fact Sheet: Ricin
"Ricin works by blocking protein synthesis at the cellular level.
It was discovered in 1800 by Hermann Stillmark, who uncovered the properties of lectins, a type of versatile plant protein.
While extracting oil from castor beans, he discovered ricin, the toxic protein making up 1 percent to 5 percent of the beans' weight."
"Ricin can be delivered to the human body via ingestion, injection, or inhalation.
Dermal, or physical contact, while not recommended, poses little danger due to negligible absorption.
Been trying to switch back to night-sleeping, but having to take it slowly! Hope you’re doing well!
L M A O
Sorry if posted already...
“Ricin is made from the waste left over from processing castor beans and can be extremely lethal. As little as 500 micrograms, or about the size of the head of a pin, can kill a human, according to the CDC.”
Extended Stay America
We really liked this hotel. For the price, we had a very clean room and the sheets were crisp and fresh. The TV worked nicely and the lady behind the front desk was very helpful. We were not able to use the pool because of the cold weather, but that was really the only problem we had. We would highly recommend this place if it weren't for one thing that I almost hesitate to mention. I suddenly became very sick one night and had to be rushed to the ER. The police say that the deadly poison ricin was found in our hotel room. We were very surprised. If I pull through I will write a more thorough review later.
Hmmmm. Weren’t the Dems doing a primary in Vegas during the last couple of weeks. Remember, this guy hit the hospital on the 14th, (just prior to the primary if memory serves). An interesting coincidence if nothing else.
Also, seems there was a dead dog in the room. As I recall, Muzzies aren’t terribly fond of pooches (unclean animals and all). Maybe a homegrown “nutjob”.
Just thinking out loud here. Odd that the cops aren’t releasing his name. They know way more about him than they’re lettin’ on, or they’d be asking for help from the public.
One do wonder.
Ricin is 6000 times more toxic than cyanide and 12000 times more poisonous than rattlesnake venom by weight. While there is no known antidote, the US military has developed a vaccine.
Death can occur 36-72 hours after exposure. If a victim survives 5 days, most likely it will not be fatal.
They mentioned 'a dog died'. He had a dog with him in this motel/hotel/suite or. . .what?
Meantime whatever; the lips are sealed!
test the Ricin out on the dog, then have a little work accident?
However did you know?
Unfortunately, it was in the butt, at a place now known for recycling its syringes.