Skip to comments.Joe the Plumber target of Arizona (his Drivers License is suspended)
Posted on 10/17/2008 6:04:32 PM PDT by machogirl
Joe the Plumber's' AZ driver license suspended Comments 6 | Recommend 4 Daniel Newhauser, For the Tribune
A plumbing license is not the only license "Joe the Plumber" is having troubles with.
The former Mesa resident has a suspended driver's license and outstanding court fines in Arizona, according to Mesa Municipal Court records.
"Joe," whose real name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, was referred to more than 20 times by Republican Sen. John McCain in Wednesday night's presidential debate for questioning Democratic Sen. Barack Obama's tax policy.
The man portrayed by McCain to be the typical, hardworking American revealed this week that he actually does not have a plumbing license, and now court records show he should not have a driver's license either, making it potentially even harder for him to get to work.
Wurzelbacher, who lived in Mesa in 2000 and had an Arizona driver's license, had his driver's license suspended by the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division on May 4, 2000, following a nonpayment of a court-imposed fine for civil traffic violations, according to court records.
America's new political icon, who owes nearly $1,200 in back taxes, according to public records, still owes more than $700 to the Mesa court system.
Records show he was cited for failure to stop at a red light and for failure to provide proof of insurance on Feb. 9, 2000, in a black Dodge truck at the intersection of Dobson and Baseline roads in Mesa.
After failing to pay his original fine of $627.50 issued in March 2000, his license was suspended and the fine was handed over to a collection agency along with a 16 percent surcharge. The now-resident of Holland, Ohio, still owes $727.90 to the Mesa Municipal Court, according to court records.
Nevertheless, Wurzelbacher's driver's license is still valid in Ohio, according to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and was renewed as recently as May 2005. Ohio law requires a license to be renewed every four years, meaning Wurzelbacher likely obtained an Ohio license in 2001, one year after having his Arizona license suspended.
With a suspended license in one state, it should not be possible to get a new license in another, said Cydney DeModica, spokeswoman for the Arizona MVD.
The only way "Joe the Plumber" could have slipped through the cracks is a clerical error in which his driving records were not entered into the Problem Driver Pointer System, the national database of information about people with a checkered driving past, said Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles spokeswoman Lindsay Komlanc.
Komlanc added if the Ohio BMV were to receive the information, appropriate action could be taken, including suspension of his Ohio license.
All this makes Joe the Plumber more endearing to more and more Americans. It also illustrates how important winning in November is!
The irony is that Joe the plumber, years ago, would have been a poster child for the democrats.
Taken in part from MW -- By Caroline Konrad -- September 1999
THE MALIGNANT PERSONALITY:
These people are mentally ill and extremely dangerous! The following precautions will help to protect you from the destructive acts of which they are capable.
First, to recognize them, keep the following guidelines in mind.
(1) They are habitual liars. They seem incapable of either knowing or telling the truth about anything.
(2) They are egotistical to the point of narcissism. They really believe they are set apart from the rest of humanity by some special grace.
(3) They scapegoat; they are incapable of either having the insight or willingness to accept responsibility for anything they do. Whatever the problem, it is always someone else's fault.
(4) They are remorselessly vindictive when thwarted or exposed.
(5) Genuine religious, moral, or other values play no part in their lives. They have no empathy for others and are capable of violence. Under older psychological terminology, they fall into the category of psychopath or sociopath, but unlike the typical psychopath, their behavior is masked by a superficial social facade.
If you have come into conflict with such a person or persons, do the following immediately!
(1) Notify your friends and relatives of what has happened.
Do not be vague. Name names, and specify dates and circumstances. Identify witnesses if possible and provide supporting documentation if any is available.
(2) Inform the police. The police will do nothing with this information except to keep it on file, since they are powerless to act until a crime has been committed. Unfortunately, that often is usually too late for the victim. Nevertheless, place the information in their hands.
Obviously, if you are assaulted or threatened before witnesses, you can get a restraining order, but those are palliative at best.
(3) Local law enforcement agencies are usually under pressure if wealthy or politically powerful individuals are involved, so include state and federal agencies as well and tell the locals that you have. In my own experience, one agency that can help in a pinch is the Criminal Investigation Division of the Internal Revenue Service or (in Canada) Victims Services at your local police unit. It is not easy to think of the IRS as a potential friend, but a Swedish study showed that malignant types (the Swedes called them bullies) usually commit some felony or other by the age of twenty. If the family is wealthy, the fact may never come to light, but many felonies involve tax evasion, and in such cases, the IRS is interested indeed. If large amounts of money are involved, the IRS may solve all your problems for you. For obvious reasons the Drug Enforcement Agency may also be an appropriate agency to approach. The FBI is an important agency to contact, because although the FBI does not have jurisdiction over murder or assault, if informed, they do have an active interest in any other law enforcement agencies that do not follow through with an honest investigation and prosecution should a murder occur. Civil rights are involved at that point. No local crooked lawyer, judge, or corrupt police official wants to be within a country mile if that comes to light! It is in such cases that wealthy psychopaths discover just how firm the "friends" they count on to cover up for them really are! Even some of the drug cartel biggies will scuttle for cover if someone picks up the brick their thugs hide under. Exposure is bad for business.
(4) Make sure that several of your friends have the information in the event something happens to you. That way, an appropriate investigation will follow if you are harmed. Don't tell other people who has the information, because then something bad could happen to them as well. Instruct friends to take such an incident to the newspapers and other media.
If you are dealing with someone who has considerable money, you must realize that they probably won't try to harm you themselves, they will contract with someone to make the hit. The malignant type is a coward and will not expose himself or herself to personal danger if he or she can avoid it.
It's not a perfect picture, but man you can see the 0's traits very clearly here!
I can’t believe you approve of eviscerating an average guy who asked a politician a question that said politician then answered stupidly, revealing his true intentions.
You are OK with all this?
That’s what this public hanging of Joe the Plumber is about. To destroy an instant icon that McCain could leverage. To turn Joe Plumber into “damaged goods.”
I know I’m posting a lot on this thread but I am damn mad about this.
The MSM has not told the truth, Joe doesn’t need a plumbers license, he is working for someone that has one. He works for a company not himself. But of course the MSM leaves that part out.
I’m not sure how to do this but if someone could establish some sort of a fundraiser to help Joe (I understand that he lost his job, correct?), I’ll be enough money could be raised to pay his back taxes AND his fine in AZ.
Listen, how many of you know folks or have friends or family or even yourselves that have unpaid tickets, how ‘bout each year owing taxes that they might hope could slide ‘til the next? Sounds like Joe is struggling his way through life trying to keep from being destroyed by the bureaucracies that we all deal with.
I’ve bailiffed for our County Court at law and you ought to see some of the C-S (figure it out) tickets I’ve seen come through court. Get real folks, this is not a child molestation or rape charge ok?
This media circus performs three functions:
1. Provide a diversion to write columns and avoid the “spread the wealth” discussion that started the whole thing.
2. Destroy the man who dared to ask the fake messiah a question that tripped him up.
3. Serve as a warning to any future questioners.
If this self-worshiping prig is elected we will be in a civil war within five years.
You forgot TX!!
I was blown away by Daniel Newhauser's hard hitting Pulitzer-level article about Joe the Plumber's suspended driver license. It must have taken months of digging, hard questions, long hours, thousands of phone calls, and dogged investigation of this hardened criminal. But with a little luck and some timely tips from Daily Kos and Democratic Underground, Mr. Newhauser has successfully exposed a dangerous man.
Congratulations! We are all a little safer tonight because of your journalistic integrity and fearlessness. You weren't intimidated by Joe, and you got him by the jugular!
Oh wait. Not really. You are all jackals.
Look up Alfred Dreyfus. J'accuse, Tribune. J'accuse!
The death of the "objective" media has been long in coming and painful to watch.
been saying this for some time
all conservatives need to move out of the liberal states like MA,RI,CT,VT and move to more redder states
makes no sense to give your tax money to liberal causes and anyway your votes do not mean anything in those states
If the likes of ,MA,RI,VT,CT wanted to join Quebec then I would not lose any sleep over it at all
But of course, Joe the Plumber's $1200 in back taxes is far more important to this election.
And this is the guy who tricked the Harvard Lawyer into admitting he’s a Socialist?
Note to self: DO NOT attend Harvard Law School.
Hey Manc, as a fellow FReeper and a potential FRiend, count me in. I liked your original post, although I live in the richest agricultural area in the world (the Central Valley of California) and think we could fight off the lefties from moving in. We need to secede from California!
In 1991 my now husband was on his way to senior prom and got pulled over for waste of a finite resource (10 miles or less over the speed limit). His mom paid the fines and he thought it was done. We were on a date in 1992 when he was pulled over for a busted tail light. THe officer arrested him due to a warrant, apologized profusely, and bond of 20 dollars was posted. He was given the wrong date to show in court (on a Saturday). He called and was told the 20 dollars was a late charge for the original fine, his bond covered it, and all is well on that front. Yet, he had no idea about the late charge or the warrant until he was arrested.