Skip to comments.So What's Next -- Why We Lost & What To Do About It!!!
Posted on 11/04/2008 7:55:15 PM PST by CWW
I have been a Freeper fo over 10 years, and here are my 2 cents for what it's worth.
--WHY REPUBLICANS LOST
1. Weak Candidate Cmon, be serious. If it werent for Palin, it would have been a worse bloodbath than it is.
2. Poorly Run Campaign McCain offered no alternative plan and chose the gentlemans course by unilaterally disarming on the most important issues, e.g., Rev. Wright, Obamas radical abortion position, immigration, Cap and Trade/Global Warming, Campaign Finance, etc.
3. Spendthrift Congressional Republicans -- squandered their capital by spending like drunken sailors and by supporting President Bush on liberal spending programs like No-Child Left Behind, Prescription Drugs, Immigration, etc. They also alienated conservatives by compromising on judicial appointments.
4. Unilateral Disarmament -- by voting for McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform, which Bush signed. McCain Was Hoisted On His Own Petard!! 5. Failure of President Bush to Use Bully Pulpit to Sell War and Explain Its Relevancy to Peace & Stability.
6. Economic Collapse on Republican Partys Watch -- the signs were there, but the public was kept in the dark. Blame at the 11th hour on Barney Frank, Chris Dodd, et al. was too little, too late.
7. To Much Compromise on Important Issues to Support President Bush Campaign Finance Reform, Immigration, Prescription Drug Boondoggle, No-Child Left Behind, etc.
8. Infighting Among Conservatives-- Evangelicals split there vote in the primary between Romney and Huckaby. With all of his faults, Romney would have run circles around Obama on economic policy the very issue that decided the election.
9. Biased Media Unbelievably bias, and this will not change EVER.
Some of these factors were not within the partys control. But many were, e.g., controlling spending, and running an aggressive campaign with a positive theme, etc.
The fight for the control of the Republican Party is over. The moderate Gerald Ford-Country Club Wing has lost. They could not convince Reagan Democrats to cross over despite the groveling and reaching across the isle.
HOW TO WIN NEXT TIME:
1. Stand for Something Besides Your Personal Re-Election, Dammit!!
2. Dont be afraid to take unpopular positions if they are the right positions. People will follow a leader. 3. Create a conservative platform and require candidates to take the pledge to earn party support.
4. Recruit conservative candidates who have lived in the real world and held real jobs. No more party insiders. Recruit more conservative women!!
5. Use every opportunity possible to hold democrats accountable for every vote, every failed policy and every tidbit of bad news.
6. Shun liberal Republicans and liberal candidates.
7. Revitalize the grass roots conservative base by opposing liberal democrat policies at every turn.
8. Adopt a No More Pork Pledge. 9. Oppose ALL spending increases except for Defense.
10. Introduce tax cut bills for small businesses over and over and over.
11. Oppose income redistribution to people who dont pay income taxes. 12. Stand firm on immigration and securing our borders.
13. Oppose policies that weaken the family -- gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, etc.
14. Develop more alternative forms of media to deliver the conservative message - -More Blogs, more Webinars, More College Republican Clubs, More Rubber-Chicken Dinners to Spread the word, etc. 15. Replace the ENTIRE Republican leadership in the House and Senate. They lost; they should be gone. Period.
This ain’t over.
According to the official Ohio Secretary of State website — and Jennifer Brunner is a Democrat — 43.19% of all precincts have reported. That’s significantly less than half.
Obama ................. 49.79%
McCain ................ 48.56%
If McCain wins Ohio, he is definitely still alive. All the networks have already called Ohio for Obama, in much the same way they called the election for Kerry in 2004.
We might not have had McCain for our nominee if not for Dems and Ind voting for him in the primaries.
We wouldn’t have McCain if we didn’t let independents and democrats vote in our primary elections. Have only Republicans vote in Republican primaries, and have conservative states go first in the primaries, not Iowa and New Hampshire.
Cut funding for BATFE and DEA, and thereby support limited federal government for a change.
“McCain offered no alternative plan and chose the gentlemans course by unilaterally disarming”
I agree whole heartedly.
out -> our
I totally agree!
Right now I’m going to eat a grilled chicken sandwich, because I was too upset earlier to eat dinner.
I don’t know what my plans are after that, though.
AND NONE OF THAT IS GOING TO CHANGE A D...D THING UNLESS YOU DEAL WITH VOTER FRAUD!!!
Not every state, but enough could have been lost to Acorn tonight and NOBODY HERE THINKS THAT IS THE MOST CRUCIAL ISSUE.
what difference does all those great changes make, if you lose at the polls to voter Fraud!!
Also, McCain lost because of McCain Feingolod!
He played rules by his law and lost.
Republicans hated the law then and should hate it even more now.
How about the worst economic meltdown since the 1930’s, two botched wars, and out of control deficit spending, all on a Republican President’s watch? If you’re truly serious about the root of this loss, look hard at these factors.
You beat me to it. Close all the primaries to registered Republicans only. McCain is what we get with open primaries. Let the grass roots conservatives, not milquetoast moderates, decide who would be the strongest candidate and the standard bearer.
Oh, we’ll definitely be back! Led by SARAHCUDA!!!!
This is a very good list, both pro and con. I will come back tomorrow and read it again.
We didn’t learn a damn thing from the Bob Dole campaign. We have got to quit playing the nice guy or we will NEVER win another major election.
There isn’t a whole lot we can do right now. Our first line of defense is with what remains in the Senate and House. The House might not be able to do much to protect the people of this nation, but the Senate needs to stiffen their resolve and block the coming liberal agenda as much as possible. Otherwise, the people have sewn the wind, and as God is my witness, they will reap the whirlwind.
George Bush has spent the last four years ticking off his base.
McCain was a poor candidate for many reasons.
The fact that Obama is being elected is a sign of just how far our country has fallen. There very well might not be a next time.
Problem is that Republicans stand for nothing and Democraps stand on lies and are not held accountable. Mark this night as the day the Republican party died!
I disagree. McCain was betrayed. He betrayed himself years ago. Palin was a mistake. Bush was a problem - lord love him.we did not work hard enough for what matters most. We did not grid our lions on his behalf.
Let’s do our part to help as many media dinosaurs as possible find their way to the graveyard.
I especially enjoyed this part and will probably make a car window sign saying just this:
Country Club Wing has lost. They could not convince Reagan Democrats to cross over despite the groveling and reaching across the isle.
BO has so corrupted the voting process in just this one election, imagine what it will be like next time.
The entire country will be like Chicago's voting system.
I originally thought that at the end of 4 years, it would be like the end of Jimmy Carter, but now I don't think so.
Chicago thugs are now in control of the country.
Tonight, in South Dakota, basic restrictions on abortion, with genereous exceptions for health, rape, incest, etc is being defeated pretty soundly. If it can’t win here, I don’t know where it can win. I’m beginning to wonder whether America isn’t convinced that legal abortion is settled law.
Voter ID is the answer. Just think how many votes were stolen to win this race. I agree we need better candidates but we have to clean up this voter mess. I am so depressed I can’t talk anymore.
Until we take back the public schools and the universities we are guaranteed socialism.
that was the smartest thing i have heard in awhile.
We need a good speaker who is a conservative. Someone who can speak like Newt. Maybe Newt should be the new GOP chairman.
Will McCain have the balls to fight the rampant voter fraud in court?
I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong, but RINO boy hasn't shown any balls yet.
I can hear him now - He'll want his defeat to be "honorable", as he continues to "reach out" to his "friends" on the other side.
He's another Bob Dole loser, and the ONLY reason he did so well was because he chose Sarah Palin.
The Donks have the House, Senate, and White House. We NEED to hold their feet to the fire for the next 4 years - ANY failings or problems are ONLY their fault.
Vigilance and loud voices are required now...
Let's start w/ number eight. That goofball Huckaby stuck in there and ruined it for Romney. I agree, Romney would've ran circles around Obama on the economy.
Number nine - this is the WORST I'VE SEEN THE MEDIA! We have to get organized and boycott one liberal news outlet such as CNN. Let's just concentrate on one!
I take issue with the botched wars, but the other points are correct. The Congress contributed largely to the economic meltdown and the deficit spending, but the buck stops at the President's desk and he has been blamed.
You nailed it!
However, I have serious doubts that the Republican party can, or will, stand up to the Dems.
They've consistently been the "go along to get along party" for so long that I don't see them changing.
My thoughts are more along the lines of forming a new party or joining an already existing one.
McCain did not lose because he’s a RINO. He lost because moral conservatives are out numbered in this country. And because the have nots have come together to take from the haves.
Seriously. When did FR become so PC that we can’t state the obvious?
The fight to convince parents of the value of homeschooling is essential, both to liberate the young and to reduce the number of new soldiers the left has to recruit in their government run indoctrination centers. At the very least, work to establish vouchers somewhere and expand on it when possible.
The Left knows how vouchers will kill their monopoly, which is why they fight them tooth and nail.
I sent money to the Republicans this year for the first time since Iran-Contra broke into the news, and I did so because of Governor Palin’s nomination.
Senator McCain is an honorable senator, firmly imbued with the ethos of the place (and I mean that nicely). He does not have the necessary instincts of a presidential candidate.
Of the five candidates, I guess I had Guiliani first (too liberal, but fundamentally a decent person), then Thompson (but let’s have some fire), then Romney, and finally McCain. That other guy, Huckleberry or whatever, just was unacceptable. Am I surprised that my fourth choice didn’t win the election. Frankly, no.
Nope, it’s not yet. CWW is right on points however. McCain’s campaign was run by a bunch of RINO, excuse the election night French, pussies. We’ve heard them giving up tonight on exit polls. I heard one of them on FNC set it up so that he may blame Gov. Palin. Gov. Palin was the only bright spot in this campaign.
There’s a reason why we’re conservative and not necessarily republican. McCain may have not donned the cushy and gay sweater, but he may as well have. His campaign was never focused, and if not for his one wise decision of selecting Gov. Palin, this would be looking far worse.
Good post, and absolutely true.
Cleaning up elections is now in the hands of three branches of Government controlled by those that perpetrate it. How do we fix it with those odds?
We exchange e-mail addresses because this forum is history.