Skip to comments.Weld County cracks down on 1,300 cases of suspected identity theft
Posted on 11/14/2008 3:45:22 AM PST by HollyButler
Weld County authorities this week unleashed a large-scale sting they hope will net about 1,300 suspects who may have used false identification to receive millions of dollars in U.S. tax refunds.
The arrests for ID theft or criminal impersonation are expected to snare hundreds of suspects. Authorities said two years worth of federally approved tax refunds from suspects jobs they work in agriculture, corporations and small businesses across northern Colorado could total $2.7 million.
The sweep follows the Aug. 13 arrest of Servando Trejo, who was linked to a Texas man who told local authorities that someone working in northern Colorado had been using his Social Security number.
Trejo, a native of Mexico, told a Weld County Sheriffs Office detective that he bought the ID in Texas after he crossed the border in 1995. He used the ID to get jobs, obtain loans, get a Colorado drivers license and pay taxes, which in recent years he filed through Amalias Translation and Tax Services, 1501 9th St. in Greeley.
Weld sheriffs deputies on Wednesday launched what theyre calling Operation Number Games. The round-up of suspects were identified through other suspicious IDs found in an Oct. 17 search of Amalias office.
Thirteen suspects were arrested Wednesday and Thursday, and teams will work Friday and through this weekend to pick up more suspects they believe were living here with stolen identities. Authorities plan arrests for the rest of the year and much of 2009.
The sting will likely have wide ramifications
A measure of long-sought justice for many victims people who for years have fought the IRS over mysterious reports of underreported income in tax filings.
(Excerpt) Read more at greeleytribune.com ...
They keep saying that the IRS wants their returns to make money, but at the same time, they say the refunds are greater than the taxes paid. Doesn’t make sense. Sounds to me like all these illegals are also taking us for a ride.
Don't forget they don't get refunds for the SS paid in. That's the money they want.
This country is governed by thieves and scum - from top to bottom.
Why is the federal government concealing stolen identities from their rightful owners? Should we not have a legal recourse against such theft? We should be notified immediately that someone is using our identity.
And each one voted for Obama.
Early and often...
From the article:
***By law, a person cant have both an ITIN and Social Security number. ***
BUT, it is commonly done by tax preparers.
My next door neighbor moved and is now renting to an untold number of illegal aliens.
This is going to be fun.
***Why is the federal government concealing stolen identities from their rightful owners? Should we not have a legal recourse against such theft? We should be notified immediately that someone is using our identity.***
That’s an interesting question. Nowhere in the article did it say how the real SS# owner knew that somebody else was using it.
But that would be serving the legitimate taxpayer. Since when has that been a government priority.
yeah, a cross-check on their voter registrations might be interesting in the “new blue” Colorado
Like the Bush admin really cares
Thank Congress. They made it against the law for the IRS or Social Security to provide you with any information that would allow you to identify a person has stolen your identity. Nor are you entitled to know what was done about it. Huge helping of irony, anyone?
I hope the following 14 reasons are read so many times that the readers get sick of reading them. I have included the URL’s for verification of the following facts.
1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year.
2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.
3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.(In California, illegal immigrants account for about 1,350 of the 61,000 people on dialysis. Their treatment cost taxpayers $51 million last year).
4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and secondary school education for children here illegally and they cannot speak a word of English!
5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.
6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.
7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.
8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for Welfare & social services by the American taxpayers.
9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American wages are caused by the illegal aliens.
10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime rate that’s two and a half times that of white non-illegal aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a huge additional crime problem in the US
11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroine and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border.
Homeland Security Report
12. The National Policy Institute, ‘estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.’
13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin.
14. ‘The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal Immigrants In The United States’.
The total cost is a whooping $ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR !