Skip to comments.Georgetown To Honor Pro-Abort Catholic and Vice President Joe Biden
Posted on 04/21/2009 12:49:40 PM PDT by NYer
Georgetown is honoring Vice President Biden tomorrow. Biden is a Catholic that supports abortion rights. Washington DC - April 21, 2009 - Georgetown is honoring Vice President Joe Biden tomorrow at a Symposium Celebrating the 15th Anniversary of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). Biden will receive the Legal Momentum Hero Award.
Geoergetowns decision to honor Biden, on the heels its acquiescence to the White Houses request to cover the IHS symbol at Gaston Hall last week when President Obama spoke, combined with the current imbroligio over President Obamas scheduled commencement speech and honorary degree at Notre Dame, is certain to cause more outrage among Catholics.
Bidens honor tomorrow is problematic on several fronts. It violates the USCCB document "Catholics in Political Life" from 2004. This document directs Catholic schools not to honor pro-abortion politicians. Moreover, unlike the situation at Notre Dame with President Obama where some have argued that the USSCB statement doesnt apply because Obama isnt Catholic Biden clearly is. Lastly, the award tomorrow commemorating the Violence Against Women Act represents a patent hypocrisy: Abortion is a violence against women, but Georgetown has decided to honor the Vice President who is pro-abortion and therefore by definition, supports this violence against both women and their unborn children.
Sign the petition to enforce canon 915 and Withhold Communion
What does it mean to be Catholic anymore?
Catholic Ping List
Please freepmail me if you want on/off this list
Yep, he's also an intelligent idiot.
It’s long past time to de-certify institutions like Georgetown as Catholic when it’s so clear that they are not.
What does Archbishop Wuerl have to say about this transaction?
Jesuit is not Catholic.
It is a fact..the leaders of the Catholic colleges
and Universities, are not upholding the basic tenets
of our Catholic religion. Thery have to be pointed
out with their own facts (10 commandmends) and be
told to ..let those who would allow immoral or similar acts..be left at the doorstep. No matter who!!!! JK
The Catholic Church is the same as it's always been as are Catholics. What people say about themselves, including their presumed Catholicism, is subject to the capacity of people for dishonesty. Similarly, Institutions can call themselves "Catholic" without any deference to the truth.
"By their fruits you will know them."
The problem is not Joe Biden...he’s no more than a laughable wannabe catholic seriously in need of doctrinal instruction AND correction. The real problem is the Jesuit order that runs this university. The Pope should intervene directly with the head of the Jesuit Order and MANDATE this non-sense cease. Until that happens...happy left wing-nut priests will gladly sell mother church down the river.
Nothing if you are like Biden, Pelosi and so on, they will be judged.
Such blatant defiance and scandal is actually a blessing in that it will surely result in a major intervention by B16.
This is God writing straight with crooked lines.
It means plenty ... to me and the majority of practicing Catholics. To those who do not embrace the teachings of Jesus Christ through His Church, it apparently is subject to those areas where they selectively agree. Oftentimes, on their death beds, they have a change of heart. By then, of course, the damage is done.
Now, now...I still have a soft spot for my alma mater (Gonzaga). GU hasn't been perfect, but outgoing President Bob Spitzer did a great job over the past 11 years.
Of course, it didn't hurt that the Zags have had a pretty fair hoops program over the same period. ;^)
Seriously, I cherish every visit I make back to the old school. So many fond memories, and I received an incredible education.
Apparently .... nothing!
Bishops assigned to the Diocese of Washington are generally elevated to Cardinal within a short period of time. I see Archbishop Wuerl has not yet been called to Rome. What does that say about him?
It will also result in fewer admissions and a serious drop in donations. Money speaks! Perhaps, by their actions, they will get the message.
Thank you Steve - I was just about to make that point. I grew up with a great respect for the Jesuits - until the Berrigan brothers appeared on the scene with their addled philosophy. Not too long after the death of its founder, the order developed an inflated opinion of their intelligence, insights and own view of Catholic theology. It’s been a long, sad slide - Georgetown hit bottom a long time ago when they gave ‘BJ’ Clinton access to their campus.
Georgetown? That used to be a hellova good school in the days before it lost it’s soul.
The bishops who have so far expressed disapproval of Notre Dame's invitation to Obama (in alphabetical order) are:
1. Bishop John D'Arcy - Fort Wayne-South Bend, IN
2. Bishop Samuel Aquila - Fargo, ND
3. Bishop Gregory Aymond - Austin, TX
4. Bishop Gerald Barbarito - Palm Beach, FL
5. Bishop Leonard Blair - Toledo, OH
6. Archbishop Daniel Buechlein - Indianapolis, IN
7. Bishop Robert Baker - Birmingham, AL
8. Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz - Lincoln, NE
9. Archbishop Eusebius Beltran - Oklahoma City, OK
10. Auxiliary Bishop Oscar Cantú - San Antonio, TX
11. Bishop Paul Coakley - Salina, KS
12. Cardinal Daniel DiNardo - Houston, TX
13. Archbishop Timothy Dolan - New York, NY
14. Bishop Thomas Doran - Rockford, IL
15. Auxiliary Bishop John Dougherty - Scranton, PA
16. Bishop Robert Finn - Kansas City-St. Joseph, MO
17. Cardinal Francis George - Chicago, IL; President, USCCB
18. Bishop Gerald Gettelfinger - Evansville, IN
19. Archbishop José Gomez - San Antonio, TX
20. Bishop William Higi - Lafayette, IN
21. Archbishop Alfred Hughs - New Orleans, LA
22. Bishop Joseph Latino - Jackson, MS
23. Bishop Jerome Listecki - La Crosse, WI
24. Bishop William E. Lori - Bridgeport, CT
25. Bishop George Lucas - Springfield, IL
26. Bishop Robert Lynch - St. Petersburg, FL
27. Bishop Joseph Martino - Scranton, PA
28. Bishop Charles Morlino - Madison, WI
29. Bishop George Murry - Youngstown, OH
30. Archbishop John J. Myers - Newark, NJ
31. Bishop R. Walker Nickless - Sioux City, IA
32. Archbishop John C. Nienstedt - St. Paul-Minneapolis, MN
33. Archbishop Edwin O'Brien - Baltimore, MD
34. Bishop Thomas Olmsted - Phoenix, AZ
35. Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk - Cincinnati, OH
36. Bishop Kevin Rhoades - Harrisburg, PA
37. Bishop Alexander Sample - Marquette, MI
38. Bishop Edward J. Slattery - Tulsa, OK
39. Bishop Richard Stika - Knoxville, TN
40. Bishop Anthony Taylor - Little Rock, AR
41. Bishop Robert Vasa - Baker, OR
42. Bishop Thomas Wenski - Orlando, FL
This is from LifeSiteNews.com web site...
BTW, I truly believe that Pope Benedict is watching this fiasco at Notre Dame and taking notes!