Skip to comments.Coulter: WHAT'S ARABIC FOR 'YOU'RE NO ATTICUS FINCH'?(Santa's "naughty" list)
Posted on 03/10/2010 2:32:38 PM PST by Syncro
WHAT'S ARABIC FOR 'YOU'RE NO ATTICUS FINCH'?
March 10, 2010
A group of "leading conservative lawyers" -- a phrase never confused with "U.S. Marines" -- has produced an embarrassingly pompous letter denouncing Liz Cheney for demanding the names of attorneys at the Justice Department who formerly represented Guantanamo detainees.
The letter calls Cheney's demand "shameful," before unleashing this steaming pile of idiocy:
"The American tradition of zealous representation of unpopular clients is at least as old as John Adams' representation of the British soldiers charged in the Boston Massacre."
Yes, but even John Adams didn't take a job with the government for another 19 years after defending the British guards -- who, in 1770, were "the police." He also didn't take a position with the U.S. government that involved processing British murder suspects.
I'd be more interested in hearing about the sacred duty of lawyers to defend "unpopular clients" if we were talking about clients who are unpopular with anyone lawyers know.
Every white shoe law firm in the country has been clamoring to take the cases of Guantanamo detainees, while young associates line up to be put on the case. This is even more fun than defending Ted Bundy!
As The Wall Street Journal put it in a 2007 article, a list of the law firms representing Guantanamo detainees "reads like a who's who of America's most prestigious law firms" -- which conveniently doubles as Santa's "naughty" list.
The terrorists' lawyers have included Shearman and Sterling, Arnold & Porter; Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr; Covington & Burling; Hunton & Williams; Sullivan & Cromwell; Debevoise & Plimpton; King & Spalding; Cleary Gottlieb, Morrison & Foerster; Jenner & Block; O'Melveny & Myers and Sidley Austin.
At least 34 of the 50 largest firms in the United States have performed pro bono work on behalf of Guantanamo detainees.
Years ago, when I nearly died of boredom working for a law firm, I heard whispered rumors about a partner, Michael Tierney, whom none of the female associates wanted to work with because his pro bono work included defending -- gasp! -- pro-life groups. (There was at least one female associate who wanted to work with him!)
I didn't hear a peep about the august "American tradition of zealous representation of unpopular clients" back then.
Like Hollywood actresses, lawyers need to believe they're noble and courageous to help them forget that they are corporate drones doing soul-destroying work, which mostly consists of making photocopies.
Defending terrorists gives status-conscious attorneys a chance to get standing ovations at the annual ABA convention -- much like promoting "global warming" makes climatologists feel like they're saving the world, rather than studying water vapor.
It took me exactly one Nexis search for "ABA," "award" and "Guantanamo" to find that the 2006 "Outstanding Scholar Award" at the ABA annual banquet was given to New York University law professor Anthony G. Amsterdam for his "extensive pro bono practice, litigating cases that range from civil rights claims, to death penalty defense, to claims of access to the courts for the detainees at Guantanamo Bay."
A rule I have is: You're not defending an unpopular client if you're getting awards from the ABA, particularly if the award mentions "courage."
Read the more Ann Coulter.Com
You'll never see a pompous letter like the one attacking Liz Cheney on behalf of any lawyer defending clients who are unpopular with lawyers, which terrorists are not.
Read the rest at Ann Coulter.Com
At least 34 of the 50 largest firms in the United States have performed pro bono work on behalf of Guantanamo detainees.
>>>At least 34 of the 50 largest firms in the United States have performed pro bono work on behalf of Guantanamo detainees.
On a list of lawyers in recent government service who have served alleged terrorists, the first name might be Michael Chertoffs. Chertoff served as counsel to Magdy El-Amir, a man identified as a leading Al Qaeda fundraiser in North America. Chertoff went on to head the criminal division at Justice and then to become secretary of Homeland Security. The list would also include Michael Mukasey, Bushs last attorney general, whose law firm had an active pro bono program writing appeals briefs in support of the Guantánamo inmates on constitutional issues, and Rudy Giuliani, whose firm was and is also engaged in representing Gitmo prisoners.
"Shaka sherpa-sherpa. Abaka-la. Derka derka! allah jihad"
MECCA LECCA HIGH, MECCA HINEY HO
Dirka Dirka Muhammad Jihad.
Beat me to it.
"I didn't hear a peep about the august "American tradition of zealous representation of unpopular clients" back then".
God bless you Annie for defending life and kicking wimpy lawyer arses!! On fire once again!
Well done! (and I’m not a Coulter fan).
She’s being very naughty in this one. :)
"Like Hollywood actresses, lawyers need to believe they're noble and courageous to help them forget that they are corporate drones doing soul-destroying work, which mostly consists of making photocopies." - Ann CoulterZING!
Take THAT, John Edwards!
No mention of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe?
This is going to be a FUN thread!
Coulter always hits the nail squarely on the head with a flourish.
Communist Goals (1963)
Congressional Record—Appendix, pp. A34-A35
January 10, 1963
Current Communist Goals
EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
Thursday, January 10, 1963
Mr. HERLONG. Mr. Speaker, Mrs. Patricia Nordman of De Land, Fla., is an ardent and articulate opponent of communism, and until recently published the De Land Courier, which she dedicated to the purpose of alerting the public to the dangers of communism in America.
At Mrs. Nordman’s request, I include in the RECORD, under unanimous consent, the following “Current Communist Goals,” which she identifies as an excerpt from “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen:
[From “The Naked Communist,” by Cleon Skousen]
CURRENT COMMUNIST GOALS
1. U.S. acceptance of coexistence as the only alternative to atomic war.
2. U.S. willingness to capitulate in preference to engaging in atomic war.
3. Develop the illusion that total disarmament [by] the United States would be a demonstration of moral strength.
4. Permit free trade between all nations regardless of Communist affiliation and regardless of whether or not items could be used for war.
5. Extension of long-term loans to Russia and Soviet satellites.
6. Provide American aid to all nations regardless of Communist domination.
7. Grant recognition of Red China. Admission of Red China to the U.N.
8. Set up East and West Germany as separate states in spite of Khrushchev’s promise in 1955 to settle the German question by free elections under supervision of the U.N.
9. Prolong the conferences to ban atomic tests because the United States has agreed to suspend tests as long as negotiations are in progress.
10. Allow all Soviet satellites individual representation in the U.N.
11. Promote the U.N. as the only hope for mankind. If its charter is rewritten, demand that it be set up as a one-world government with its own independent armed forces. (Some Communist leaders believe the world can be taken over as easily by the U.N. as by Moscow. Sometimes these two centers compete with each other as they are now doing in the Congo.)
12. Resist any attempt to outlaw the Communist Party.
13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.
14. Continue giving Russia access to the U.S. Patent Office.
15. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States.
16. Use technical decisions of the courts to weaken basic American institutions by claiming their activities violate civil rights.
17. Get control of the schools. Use them as transmission belts for socialism and current Communist propaganda. Soften the curriculum. Get control of teachers’ associations. Put the party line in textbooks.
18. Gain control of all student newspapers.
19. Use student riots to foment public protests against programs or organizations which are under Communist attack.
20. Infiltrate the press. Get control of book-review assignments, editorial writing, policymaking positions.
21. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV, and motion pictures.
22. Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to “eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms.”
23. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugliness, repulsive, meaningless art.”
24. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and free press.
25. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio, and TV.
26. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, healthy.”
27. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. Discredit the Bible and emphasize the need for intellectual maturity which does not need a “religious crutch.”
28. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of “separation of church and state.”
29. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate, old-fashioned, out of step with modern needs, a hindrance to cooperation between nations on a worldwide basis.
30. Discredit the American Founding Fathers. Present them as selfish aristocrats who had no concern for the “common man.”
31. Belittle all forms of American culture and discourage the teaching of American history on the ground that it was only a minor part of the “big picture.” Give more emphasis to Russian history since the Communists took over.
32. Support any socialist movement to give centralized control over any part of the culture—education, social agencies, welfare programs, mental health clinics, etc.
33. Eliminate all laws or procedures which interfere with the operation of the Communist apparatus.
34. Eliminate the House Committee on Un-American Activities.
35. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI.
36. Infiltrate and gain control of more unions.
37. Infiltrate and gain control of big business.
38. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand [or treat].
39. Dominate the psychiatric profession and use mental health laws as a means of gaining coercive control over those who oppose Communist goals.
40. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce.
41. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents.
42. Create the impression that violence and insurrection are legitimate aspects of the American tradition; that students and special-interest groups should rise up and use [”]united force[”] to solve economic, political or social problems.
43. Overthrow all colonial governments before native populations are ready for self-government.
44. Internationalize the Panama Canal.
45. Repeal the Connally reservation so the United States cannot prevent the World Court from seizing jurisdiction [over domestic problems. Give the World Court jurisdiction] over nations and individuals alike.
Thanks for pointing this out in the interest of full disclosure.
I'm no fan of Chertoff's anyway.
Pro-bono my ass. They want their taxpayer money and Odumbass will see that they get it.
Is there a typo somewhere, or did Ann contradict herself? Either the female co-worker did, or did not, want to work with him.
Like the ACLU, they get reimbursed for their costs if they win a civil rights case. (If losing the case, they get nothing.)
(There was at least one female associate who wanted to work with him!)
woo hoo! this is a fun thread!
It sure is!
Well if they have KSM stand trial in NY all rules of an impartial jury are dust in the wind. Every case in court will no longer have that. Odumbass already declared him guilty.
My daughter offered to translate your post, too. LOL
Thanks, those look pretty similar
LOL durka durka durka
“Courage” is one of those terms that the culture reserves for Hollywood celebrities and terrorist lawyers, as opposed to, say, deployed military.
Funny that picture, and your screen name...[Put] OnTheDress
Another Home Run by Queenie.
Pray for America’s Freedom
Is how I would put it....
Very pretty. But your stone girl has a hamburger once in a while.
with the exception of the (!) at the END of the text. ;-)
The pouncing on Liz also strikes me as sexist.
Not only do Americans have a right to know the legal backgrounds of lawyers setting detainee policy at the Department of Justice, but I personally demand the right not to have to listen to Eddie Haskell lawyers constantly claiming to be Atticus Finch.
Let me know if you'd like to be added to the Ann Coulter ping list.
I was sure that Dunder-Mifflin would have been in this illustrious group...
Here's is a little blurb from Chairman Ann's sidebar:
March 10, 2010, 7:41 PM ARTICLE 42 OF THE SOVIET CONSTITUTION -
Article 42. Citizens of the USSR have the right to health protection.
This right is ensured by free, qualified medical care provided by state health institutions; by extension of the network of therapeutic and health-building institutions; by the development and improvement of safety and hygiene in industry; by carrying out broad prophylactic measures; by measures to improve the environment; by special care for the health of the rising generation, including prohibition of child labour, excluding the work done by children as part of the school curriculum; and by developing research to prevent and reduce the incidence of disease and ensure citizens a long and active life.
Hey, does anyone know how that worked out?
It it isn’t....it sure ought to be!
Amen! I love Ann...and I am a hetero, married, conservative, pro-life Christian woman. She is a wonderful role model for our young women in America!
I think it's:
Mene , Mene , Tekel , Parsin
Oh, wait, it really means:
Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end.
Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.
Peres: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.
Except for the Persia thingy, the rest fits. ;o)
It's at the chicagotribune
Thank you, "JihadJane"...Oh good C. Page, knowing that MOST terrorists are Muslim males (OK, only about 99.3%) and thinking they need to be watched closely is "ramping up our prejudices" is it, or is that subtle-speak for using the race card?
For years we have been hearing pundits and politicians argue for profiling Arabs and Muslims, as if ramping up our prejudices were all we need to do to protect ourselves from bombers and hijackers.
Next he "ramps up" his prejudices by attacking Ann Coulter for something she said 6 years ago.
...conservative columnist Ann Coulter has gone further, calling on airlines to brag about how often they are sued by unfairly inconvenienced Arabs and Muslims. "Imagine the great slogans the airlines could use," she wrote in a 2004 column: " Now frisking all Arabs twice!' "Well, duh!
Coulter came to mind when I heard about JihadJane, the curiously conspicuous moniker used online by Colleen LaRose of Pennsburg, Pa., indicted last week on terrorism charges.
In pictures released to news media, LaRose doesn't look Middle Eastern. She looks more like, say, Ann Coulter.
That was part of LaRose's plan
Mr.Page is just now catching on that the Islamic terrorist organizations have been recruiting non-Islamic terrorist looking people to do their dirty work.
Good Job, Page on the catching up thingie.
Mr Page later comments that he and his Palestinian friends don't oppose all profiling, because they don't want to get blown up either.
Some of your Palestinian friends do mister-in fact not only themselves but they also like to take a lot of innocent people with them also.
Just another man who doesn't "get" Coulter, and has fallen into the throes of CES (Coulter Emasculation Syndrome.)
Back to Page's first paragraph in this op-ed:
Thank you, "JihadJane" for making a point about racial profiling that I've been trying to make for years: You can't judge a potential terrorist by his complexion or, in this case, her complexion.News flash Mr. Page: we've been profiling non-Islamic people all along...a LOT more than we have those that fit the profile of most terrorists.
So your "thank you" to a terrorist is a little strange and. frankly, suspect. Have you been waiting "for years" to do that?