Skip to comments.The danger of new 'green' light bulbs (Can the ban be lifted now - for the children?)
Posted on 11/05/2010 8:56:12 AM PDT by Libloather
The danger of new 'green' light bulbs
by Abbie Burke
Posted: 11.04.2010 at 2:20 PM
COLORADO SPRINGS, COLO. -- They burn brighter, longer, and use less energy. But the squiggly looking light bulbs known as CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs) light up using mercury, a potentially dangerous element.
Switching out old light bulbs to the new CFLs is one of the easiest ways to go green. But what is done with the CFLs after they burn out is perhaps even more important for the environment.
"You don't want that mercury ending up in the landfill, which could then end up getting into the ground and into the ground water," said Melodee Gordon, conservation specialist with Colorado Springs Utilities.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) exposure to mercury can cause damage to the brain, heart, kidneys and lungs.
When put into a landfill the EPA says mercury can potentially find its way into streams and lakes, where fish and shellfish can change it into methyl mercury, a highly toxic form, which can then be ingested by humans.
So what should be done with mercury containing CFLs?
(Excerpt) Read more at coloradoconnection.com ...
I don't know about using less energy, but my experience is that they do not burn brighter and burn out at a much higher rate than the incandescent ones. Plus when they break they expose anyone in the area to a hazardous material - perhaps we'll soon have a regulation to call a hazmat team to clean up broken “green” bulbs.
We have returned 100% to the old fashioned bulbs.
Dump them in algore’s yard.
This has been my experience, too. They burn out quickly. And the color of the light sux.
Reported again, and, I don’t even know what DU is, but, I’d like to reiterate I’m not a troll, and, FYI, I’m staying right here, buddy. :D
I bought the neodymium CFLs... bright clear light. And I can’t say the shape bothers me since I leave the lights on... no sense turning them on and off with the shorter daylight hours.
I use to play with mercury when I was a kid. Rub some on a dime and it would really shine it up.