Skip to comments.Live Coverage: Memorial Service for Victims of Arizona Shooting Rampage to Begin at 8 p.m. ET
Posted on 01/12/2011 4:54:38 PM PST by Tennessee Nana
LIVE at 8 PM EST
LINK to FoxNews
(Excerpt) Read more at interactive.foxnews.com ...
Same here, my Maya is 10 and very savvy about politics for her age—she was the one who really wanted to meet Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee (”I know he’s a RINO mom, but let’s give him a chance” ;-) on their booksigning tours in ‘09...I can’t even begin to imagine letting my child go with a neighbor to a ‘harmless’ political event and getting a call that she’s been senselessly murdered!! My heart goes out to her parents and family and friends. :*(
What DID happen at U of A....
1) tee shirts were passed out like at a rock concert.
2) A large beach ball was batted around, like at a football game.
Wonder if anyone remembered it was all about innocent murder victims?.......No.
Disgusted is the right word. I wasn’t sure IF I was watching a memorial service at all.
I don’t think you are off base here, JH...this was appalling. I couldn’t not believe the cheering, whistling and raucous applause.
I found the entire atmosphere to be repugnant and offensive. If that had been a “memorial service” for one of MY family members, I would have made my feelings known.
Simply appalling, I still can’t believe that was a “memorial service”. And your point about our casualties in Afghanistan is spot on. They apparently cannot be used to political advantage since it is now “Obama’s War”.
The whole memorial became a part of the continuing Obama campaign. Jan Brewer must have almost puked to have to be a part of it.
Now the idea is that those people were maimed, murdered and sacrificed not for their own values of democracy and meeting with Senator Giffords,now after the Memorial Service , they did so did so for what purpose?
WHy for the re-election of Obama in 2012, of course.Thats why they sacrificed themselves ( Sarc.)
Obama just dropped by to say thanks.Its ALL about Obama.
But how many get it?
We even have to blame the likes of FoxNews for the making the most of a crisis atmosphere that has resulted from the tragedy in Tucson. I cannot tell you how many times I heard a Fox reporter or pundit say something like, Do you think he [President Obama] will come out of this service looking better than he did before going in? Will he rise to the occasion?
Rick will verify that I shouted more than once at the television this week, This is not an occasion! It is a tragedy the aftermath of which should not involve political posturing, let alone speculation regarding the results of the posturing!
The tragedy has brought out both the best and the worst of America with the best being the responses, both during and after the shootings, of average Americans, and the worst being the posturing being done by much of our leadership in Washington and most of those whose charge it is to (supposedly) inform us.
One of the most offensive results of this week is the letter, written by Michelle Obama, that now appears on the White House website, in which she advises American parents regarding how they should talk to their children about the tragedy in Tucson. That letter is offensive on so many levels, a few of which are:
(1) Americans do not need advice from their leaders, let alone their leaders wives, on how to counsel or advise their children. And anyone who believes we do is an elitist who considers herself better equipped to tell us how to live our lives than we are to live them by performing our own assessments and making our own choices.
(2) Ms. Obamas letter constantly makes reference to the fact that the world we live in [sic] has much, if not everything, to do with the cause of the tragedy. That attitude reflects the never let a good crisis go to waste philosophy. To the elitists in the White House, we must not blame the tragedy on one unbalanced person, but instead we must seize it as an opportunity to change society so that it conforms to our view of utopia (and, in doing so, assert more governmental power over the lives of its citizens).
(3) Ms. Obama advises us to teach our children about the nobility of people who choose a life of public service. And then she proceeds to describe politicians only who fit in that category. Those putting their lives on the line everyday in Afghanistan and Iraq are simply afterthoughts to this president and his wife. And those who earn (extraordinarily loose interpretation of the term) many times more than the average American, who enjoy perks about which the rest of us can only dream, and who retire with generous pensions, paid for by the American taxpayer, after only a brief career in so-called public service are no longer fit to be called public servants. They are dictators and nest-featherers.
I deeply resent a woman of Michele Obamas qualifications having the audacity to believe that (1) I need her advice about how to react to this tragedy and (2) what is contained in her letter is anything more than elitist drivel.
>>One of the most offensive results of this week is the letter, written by Michelle Obama, that now appears on the White House website, in which she advises American parents regarding how they should talk to their children about the tragedy in Tucson.<<
Was written for people of diminished intelligence.
Check your FReepmail
Viking kitties took care of him!
Regarding guns and all standard-capacity magazines:
Hes coming to take them away, Ha-ha!
Hes coming to take them away!
THAT is what he meant by the wildly-cheered code words in his Tucson speech: We should be willing to challenge old assumptions in order to lessen the prospects of violence in the future. aka Gun BANS!
A pathetic example of liberal values, this was
a typical democrat “memorial”, complete with
T-shirts, the only thing missing was a ballon drop.
The constant references to the good “citizenship” of
the various victims was enough to make me sick.
Each and every one was an example of American individualism
even the 9 year old girl, who according to Obama would
have probably grown up to be a respectable
It was all government, all the time, which is
the basis of the democrat ideology.
Hope you are well.
And we used to think nobody could possibly be worse than the Clintons...
Thankful to see that.
Oh joanie, you just have to put people like this into perspective.
From my perspective, they are simply honking donkeys who love the sound of their own bray.
Which would be laughable, except that folks honking this particular bray propose that all alternative brays are to be forbidden.
Which makes them double-idiots.
Or so it seems to me. For what these strange folk propose is that Americans can be "trained out of" being American. And somehow, I think The Other Side has not well considered the sheer enormity of this problem, which faces them directly, of course. For it was they who proposed that America could be progressively improved by destroying the historical and cultural foundations on which she abides and rests.
Which is to say by destroying the historical faith and foundational principles of the American people, which have sustained our Nation through thick and thin for over 230 years now....
In the end, dear sister in Christ, what this all amounts to, in my mind, is: "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Somehow, I just don't see Americans buying it.
As for Michelle, Ma Belle: Michelle just can't help but be herself: a child of privilege with a very high opinion of herself.
Thank you so much for writing, joanie! It's great to see you!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.