Skip to comments.CAIR wins duel with govt, questions constitutionality of ‘no fly list’
Posted on 01/21/2011 2:50:12 AM PST by markomalley
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is cheering the impending return to America of a Muslim teen who was detained in Kuwait for being on the no fly list.
The nineteen-year-old Virginian, Gulet Mohamed, will arrive at Washington Dulles International Airport on Friday, after being held in Kuwait for nearly a month.
CAIR filed a lawsuit in federal court against the government specifically Attorney General Eric Holder, FBI Director Robert Mueller, Terrorist Screening Center Director Timothy Healy and their agencies on Tuesday for Mohameds apparent detention.
The suit charged that Mohamed had been beaten while in custody and that his placement on the no fly list violated his 14th Amendment rights.
At a hearing Thursday, the government lawyer announced Mohameds release and expected arrival date.
Though getting their desired result, CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad said the government still needs to look into the constitutionality of the no fly list.
We welcome the apparent resolution of this one no-fly list case, but our government must address the broader issue of American citizens being denied the constitutional right to return to the United States, said.
The Government needs to look into placing CAIR on the list of terrorist organisations.
notice how fast they can get something through the system?
Gotta admit they are correct.
All American citizens should be able to return to the USA, even if it is under arrest and facing trial.
When you’ve got a lobbying task force as big as CAIR’s, and “friends in low places,” it’s easy.
Considering how fast the government gave in, it looks like they didn’t have much of a case.