Skip to comments.Live Thread: Barack Obama Presents the State of the Union Civility Sham Wow 9 p.m. EST 1/25/11
Posted on 01/25/2011 3:23:41 PM PST by kristinn
click here to read article
This whole thing is now one big farce. Obama as President is a farce. When are the Dems going to get some....
Just hope no republican gets to shout “you lied” during the live telecast.
Placemark, just in case I watch....LOL.
Thank you for your selfless service. No way in hell that I would watch this. But I guess someone has to do it.
I ain’t watchin’ it! I only have to hear his voice utter one syllable, and my blood begins to boil!
He’s “resurgent” over at AFP! lol
Obama resurgent ahead of State of the Union
WASHINGTON (AFP) A resurgent President Barack Obama seeks to define the year’s political battles in his State of the Union address Tuesday and to outmaneuver newly empowered Republicans on spending.
Obama will speak before a television audience of millions when he is greeted by standing ovations and political theatrics in the House of Representatives, for the annual speech at 9:00 pm (0200 GMT).
US President Barack Obama walks along the colonnade from the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, DC. A resurgent Obama seeks to define the year's political battles in his State of the Union address, amid a developing tussle over spending with empowered, but restive Republicans. (AFP/Jewel Samad)
Now we have two Live Threads.
I am going to get dizzy lurching back and forth.
Maybe I’ll get ringing in my ears to block out Obooboo’s voice!
issuing threats I see Obama.....
In speech tonight, Pres Obama will tell Dems & GOPs: “We will move forward together, or not at all...”
depends on whose agenda you wanna move forward sunshine....
Does Pat Toomey’s wife know that his date for tonight is Bob Casey?
US First Lady Michelle Obama speaks in the East Room at the White House on January 24, during an event unveiling efforts to better coordinate and strengthen the Federal government's support for military families. The First Lady will welcome the parents of the nine-year-old girl killed in the Arizona shooting, and an aide who helped save congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, to her box in the House. (AFP/File/Jewel Samad)
I’ll check back in when it starts.
Since I don’t watch TV (don’t even have one), this will be a excellent substitute.
At least Toomey will know up front who the catcher is.
Who in their right mind wants to sit next to someone they cannot trust?
Bad! You are bad! ;)
I just Hope that we can keep this thread as civil as the president’s speech. I suggest that the uses of euphemism be encouraged.
I can not think of any off the the top of my head that will fully convey my thoughts but I will work on it at dinner.
RE#23: POST OF THE DAY!!
Someone who wants to put a tack on the PIA’s seat?
Shoot! That’s a bangup idea!
LOL- It’s date night!
From the Drudge Headline
A Vote before the SOTU
* Republicans have not figured out what to cut yet
HOW ABOUT ALL YA’LL’S PAYCHECKS FOR STARTERS: AND THIS?
We will see many Odd Couples.
DATE NIGHT/SADIE HAWKINS NIGHT (Formerly called the State of the Union) Live Thread
Why the Middle East Won’t Feature in Obama’s Speech
It’s a safe bet that the Middle East will get short shrift in President Obama’s State of the Union address on Tuesday. That’s because the speech typically focuses on an Administration’s achievements and on its plans to meet challenges going forward, and the reality is that there’s little in the way of achievements or plans to speak of in relation to the troubled region. In fact, Washington’s position is steadily declining in a number of Middle East flash points, and there’s little the Administration appears able to do about it.
Can’t watch tonight. I’ll be busy breathing.
ROFLOL. That ought to be the title. Is there another LIVE thread?
It’s not in breaking.
I may not make it to work tomorrow. ; )
‘Hulk’ movie on FX ends at ten...hope I will be in time to catch Bachmann’s response on (spit) CNN...
I have a sock drawer to sort..and files to organize . I’ll read your comments..LOL
Cant bear to watch. Will follow the thread. Will be watching Paul Ryan though!
THE REAL STATE OF OUR UNION: THIS AND OBAMA LEAVING US A TARGET WHILE RUSSIA AND CHINA LOL
1. The federal government made at least $72 billion in improper payments in 2008.
2. Washington spends $92 billion on corporate welfare (excluding TARP) versus $71 billion on homeland security.
3. Washington spends $25 billion annually maintaining unused or vacant federal properties.
4. Government auditors spent the past five years examining all federal programs and found that 22 percent of them — costing taxpayers a total of $123 billion annually — fail to show any positive impact on the populations they serve.
5. The Congressional Budget Office published a “Budget Options” series identifying more than $100 billion in potential spending cuts.
6. Examples from multiple Government Accountability Office (GAO) reports of wasteful duplication include 342 economic development programs; 130 programs serving the disabled; 130 programs serving at-risk youth; 90 early childhood development programs; 75 programs funding international education, cultural, and training exchange activities; and 72 safe water programs.
7. Washington will spend $2.6 million training Chinese prostitutes to drink more responsibly on the job.
8. A GAO audit classified nearly half of all purchases on government credit cards as improper, fraudulent, or embezzled. Examples of taxpayer-funded purchases include gambling, mortgage payments, liquor, lingerie, iPods, Xboxes, jewelry, Internet dating services, and Hawaiian vacations. In one extraordinary example, the Postal Service spent $13,500 on one dinner at a Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse, including “over 200 appetizers and over $3,000 of alcohol, including more than 40 bottles of wine costing more than $50 each and brand-name liquor such as Courvoisier, Belvedere and Johnny Walker Gold.” The 81 guests consumed an average of $167 worth of food and drink apiece.
9. Federal agencies are delinquent on nearly 20 percent of employee travel charge cards, costing taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars annually.
10. The Securities and Exchange Commission spent $3.9 million rearranging desks and offices at its Washington, D.C., headquarters.
11. The Pentagon recently spent $998,798 shipping two 19-cent washers from South Carolina to Texas and $293,451 sending an 89-cent washer from South Carolina to Florida.
12. Over half of all farm subsidies go to commercial farms, which report average household incomes of $200,000.
13. Health care fraud is estimated to cost taxpayers more than $60 billion annually.
14. A GAO audit found that 95 Pentagon weapons systems suffered from a combined $295 billion in cost overruns.
15. The refusal of many federal employees to fly coach costs taxpayers $146 million annually in flight upgrades.
16. Washington will spend $126 million in 2009 to enhance the Kennedy family legacy in Massachusetts. Additionally, Senator John Kerry (D-MA) diverted $20 million from the 2010 defense budget to subsidize a new Edward M. Kennedy Institute.
17. Federal investigators have launched more than 20 criminal fraud investigations related to the TARP financial bailout.
18. Despite trillion-dollar deficits, last year’s 10,160 earmarks included $200,000 for a tattoo removal program in Mission Hills, California; $190,000 for the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, Wyoming; and $75,000 for the Totally Teen Zone in Albany, Georgia.
19. The federal government owns more than 50,000 vacant homes.
20. The Federal Communications Commission spent $350,000 to sponsor NASCAR driver David Gilliland.
21. Members of Congress have spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars supplying their offices with popcorn machines, plasma televisions, DVD equipment, ionic air fresheners, camcorders, and signature machines — plus $24,730 leasing a Lexus, $1,434 on a digital camera, and $84,000 on personalized calendars.
22. More than $13 billion in Iraq aid has been classified as wasted or stolen. Another $7.8 billion cannot be accounted for.
23. Fraud related to Hurricane Katrina spending is estimated to top $2 billion. In addition, debit cards provided to hurricane victims were used to pay for Caribbean vacations, NFL tickets, Dom Perignon champagne, “Girls Gone Wild” videos, and at least one sex change operation.
24. Auditors discovered that 900,000 of the 2.5 million recipients of emergency Katrina assistance provided false names, addresses, or Social Security numbers or submitted multiple applications.
25. Congress recently gave Alaska Airlines $500,000 to paint a Chinook salmon on a Boeing 737.
26. The Transportation Department will subsidize up to $2,000 per flight for direct flights between Washington, D.C., and the small hometown of Congressman Hal Rogers (R-KY) — but only on Monday mornings and Friday evenings, when lawmakers, staff, and lobbyists usually fly. Rogers is a member of the Appropriations Committee, which writes the Transportation Department’s budget.
27. Washington has spent $3 billion re-sanding beaches — even as this new sand washes back into the ocean.
28. A Department of Agriculture report concedes that much of the $2.5 billion in “stimulus” funding for broadband Internet will be wasted.
29. The Defense Department wasted $100 million on unused flight tickets and never bothered to collect refunds even though the tickets were refundable.
30. Washington spends $60,000 per hour shooting Air Force One photo-ops in front of national landmarks.
31. Over one recent 18-month period, Air Force and Navy personnel used government-funded credit cards to charge at least $102,400 on admission to entertainment events, $48,250 on gambling, $69,300 on cruises, and $73,950 on exotic dance clubs and prostitutes.
32. Members of Congress are set to pay themselves $90 million to increase their franked mailings for the 2010 election year.
33. Congress has ignored efficiency recommendations from the Department of Health and Human Services that would save $9 billion annually.
34. Taxpayers are funding paintings of high-ranking government officials at a cost of up to $50,000 apiece.
35. The state of Washington sent $1 food stamp checks to 250,000 households in order to raise state caseload figures and trigger $43 million in additional federal funds.
36. Suburban families are receiving large farm subsidies for the grass in their backyards — subsidies that many of these families never requested and do not want. 
37. Congress appropriated $20 million for “commemoration of success” celebrations related to Iraq and Afghanistan.
38. Homeland Security employee purchases include 63-inch plasma TVs, iPods, and $230 for a beer brewing kit.
39. Two drafting errors in the 2005 Deficit Reduction Act resulted in a $2 billion taxpayer cost.
40. North Ridgeville, Ohio, received $800,000 in “stimulus” funds for a project that its mayor described as “a long way from the top priority.”
41. The National Institutes of Health spends $1.3 million per month to rent a lab that it cannot use.
42. Congress recently spent $2.4 billion on 10 new jets that the Pentagon insists it does not need and will not use.
43. Lawmakers diverted $13 million from Hurricane Katrina relief spending to build a museum celebrating the Army Corps of Engineers — the agency partially responsible for the failed levees that flooded New Orleans.
44. Medicare officials recently mailed $50 million in erroneous refunds to 230,000 Medicare recipients.
45. Audits showed $34 billion worth of Department of Homeland Security contracts contained significant waste, fraud, and abuse.
46. Washington recently spent $1.8 million to help build a private golf course in Atlanta, Georgia.
47. The Advanced Technology Program spends $150 million annually subsidizing private businesses; 40 percent of this funding goes to Fortune 500 companies.
48. Congressional investigators were able to receive $55,000 in federal student loan funding for a fictional college they created to test the Department of Education.
49. The Conservation Reserve program pays farmers $2 billion annually not to farm their land.
50. The Commerce Department has lost 1,137 computers since 2001, many containing Americans’ personal data.
Please notice that the democrats (in the minority) are NOT sitting with the majority republicans only the republicans sitting with the minority,.........This was a well orchestrated charade with the help of some republicans.....the democrats and their media buddies do NOT want America to see the results of this last election.
WHY are any republicans doing this????????