Skip to comments.In a 235-189 vote, House approves dramatic cuts in federal spending
Posted on 02/19/2011 2:44:40 AM PST by sunmars
In a rare early morning weekend vote, the House approved an aggressive plan Saturday to eliminate dozens of federal programs and offices while slashing agency budgets by as much as 40 percent, drawing out more than $60 billion in deficit savings.
Setting up a showdown early next month with President Obama and Senate Democrats, House Republicans pushed the legislation through after a marathon debate capped off by an all-night session Friday that spilled into Saturday morning. During the bleary-eyed final roll call at 4:35 a.m., 235 Republicans were joined by no Democrats in support of dramatic spending reductions that they said were needed to address a soaring annual deficit of $1.6 trillion; 189 Democrats -- as well as three Republicans -- opposed it, accusing Republicans of writing the bill with a "double meat ax."
For Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), it marked an early political victory as his newly empowered GOP troops lived up to a 2010 campaign pledge to trim spending levels to those before the 2008 financial crisis caused an unprecedented level of government spending and intervention into the private economy.
(Excerpt) Read more at washingtonpost.com ...
What a joke..
It's not a cut, it's just a decrease in the increase!!!
It would be wise to remember that the vote was on a budget for the current year that is almost half over. Very soon there will be a vote for a budget for the entire fiscal year 2012.
It is that budget where the remaking of the government will take place. There will be time for extended debate and consideration
Thank you for posting this list- lots of disappointments there.
I would like to hear what the congressman has to say about his vote.
Maybe its possible his NO vote is because these cuts are a drop in the bucket and not big enough.
I would agree with that position.
The GOP NO votes could have something to do with people who really want to cut spending as opposed to the more symbolic show cuts that Boehner and Cantor are putting on.
Oh, yes....I forgot those jack-booted thugs. They'd be defunded in a heartbeat as well if I were in charge.
Those liberals should be glad I'm not in charge. :)
Those aren’t cuts, they are tiny reductions in budget increases!
A real cut would be elimination of programs and firing of at least half of the federal employees.
We lost a lotta them blue dogs when Republicans got the seats in those districts.
Kucinich wants a Department of Peace.
I understood the debate to be that 60 billion for 7 months comes to at least 100 billion at an annual rate.
Sorry, but “slashing” $60 billion out of a $3.5 trillion budget at a time when we are accumulating debt at a rate of $6 million a minute is hardly “dramatic”.......
They promise 100b which is small as it is. They couldn’t keep that promise because the establishment betrayed everyone so they can go to hell if they tink I give a damn about these cuts.
That is a travesty. Kind of like telling a family to give up a hobby to reduce their budget. Our own GOP did not do what we ask them to do.
Veterans Affairs should also be back under defense.
This is a case where the POST is more accurate than Cantor. The GOP is using smoke and mirrors to appear to be cutting more than they are.
Thanks for those names. You did what the media failed to do!
$60 billion in deficit savings is like throwing a couple of deck chairs off the Titanic.
It’s still sinking.
More details from:
The three Republicans who voted “nay” are:
Rep. Jeff Flake - Arizonas 6th District
Rep. John Campbell - Californias 48th District
and Rep. Walter Jones - North Carolinas 3rd District
There were also 2 Republicans (Ron Paul, TX; Ben Quale, AZ)
and 7 Democrats who did not vote.
Sure wish more people understood baseline budgeting.
A less than 2% reduction in spending qualifies as 'dramatic'? We really are in sad shape then. And let's not forget this is barely half of the cuts that the GOP had been talking about a few short months ago.
I’m not sure about Jones, but Campbell and Flake would have been voting no because it wasn’t enough cuts even for the rest of this fiscal year.
The joke of the week. Dramatic? What idiot wrote that headline. That is like a ‘zero cut’ in spending.
“So who were the 3 republicans who voted against spending cuts? “
This is where it gets fun. We still kicked butt in that vote, and the RINOs didn’t have a prayer in stopping it. It’s certainly nice to have a large majority in the House.
The GOP House leadership is showing its true colors, amoeba gray. They voted against anogther $22 billion in cuts. They refused to allow Steve King's amendment to defund ObamaCare and overall seem asleep at the switch. In this period of time in 2009, the Obama/Reid/Pelosi Democrats had passed the Porkulus bill and were moving ahead on all fronts.
Where are the subpoenas? Where's the outrage over Obama ignoring Federal court orders on ObamaCare and on the drilling in the Gulf? Where's the action?
I'll agree with Michelle Obama, "Let's Move". Get rolling!! Take action!! Go! GO! GOOOO!!!!
Where's the urgency?
Anyone with half a brain knows this is a very small cut to the budget. But, I think that is what the Reps. wanted. *O* is already said the "V" word, and the left is getting all twisted in the panties over it. If the Reps play their cards right, this could work well for them at election time. Even the smallest of cuts is unacceptable for the Dems, meanwhile the country is demanding cuts.
I'm so confused! Did they cut $60 billion or $100 billion?
60 billion out of 1,600 billions. 3.75% cut from the one year budget deficit leaves 96.25% of it still there, and it's characterized as "double meat axe".
No way in he’ll would I accept Mr Tarp Cantors word on anything, he even lies about his support of TARP.
What a joke. They “SLASHED” 60 Billion. That does it. WTF! We are wasting our time with Republicans. I am not going to be like the Black base of the Democrat Party. Ferget it!
I am going back to Libertarian and being a Ron Paul Kook.
Also things are not going to happen overnight folks. We got to get the Senate and the White House..
The debt is now increasing at a rate of almost $5 billion per hour.
We went further in the hole while they were talking about it.
I would just go all 10th Amendment and delete the unconstitutional Dept of Ed. altogether.
The Department of Energy is the most misunderstood department in the country and the third most incompetent (DHS gets 1st place and Education 2nd place with bonus points for irrelevancy).
What folks don't understand is that 1/3 to 1/2 of Energy is for nuclear weapons [ and the cleanup of the (very real) nuclear mess some overagressive and irresponsible adolescent generals caused in the early years of the cold war.] A lot of folks might argue for turning the nuclear weapons part over to DoD, however, we, as most countries, have always believe that nuclear policy must be in civilian hands separate from the DoD. So that argues for recreating the AEC to deal with those issues.
Another part of Energy that is actually pretty good is the office of science and they fund a lot of good basic science work in chemistry, physics and material science and operate a lot of our key scientific user facilities. You could argue that these and their budget should go to the National Science Foundation.
I am not arguing for the continuation of the Department of Energy which was a mess ever since Jimmy Carter said shale oil is good and Amy Carter said anything nuclear was bad. But there are some important parts that must be appropriately dealt with as you sow under with salt that which never should have lived in the first place.
This crap is not attached to a continuing resolution, so it is total one hundred percent, spin for the fools in fly over land.
I have no confidence things are going to happen ever. If the pittiance of cuts we are talking here engenders this much controvery WITHIN the party, what chance do we have of getting to the point where we are seriously debating the type of cuts we really need to have any vestige of hope of pulling this thing out. None methinks.
This bill is for current year spending only, not the FY 2012 budget. This is a good start. The real cuts must come next year, though.
The Senate and the WH cannot pass a bill on their own. Spending bills originate in the House, under the constitution. If they want to cut, they can cut. If they go weak in the knees, well, they went weak in the knees, and it is on them and no one else.
Sounds like the tea party needs to start manufacturing laundry starch.
Dramatic? Hardly. These cuts represent only 4% of the deficit. What about the remaining 96%? That needs to be cut as well.
To all......this is a step, and there will be more.
This behemouth wasn't built overnight, and it won't be dissembled overnight.
These guys are doing what they were hired to do. Voted to defund PP, voted to defund Obamacare, and now this step to cut the budget.
I say BRAVO! We House Republicans with guts, and with our help, they'll keep them.
We've done the impossible, next time it will be a little easier.
To those who aren’t familiar with the budgeting process...
This is 60 Billion from the Fiscal 2011 Budget which there is only about 7 months left and is currently running on a CR Continuing Resolution.
The real action will be on the Fiscal 2012 Budget which Obama just submitted.
That is where the GOP has a full Budget process, hearings etc to make Big Cuts.