Skip to comments.Penn State Riots, Live Audio Feed
Posted on 11/09/2011 10:31:05 PM PST by tcrlaf
Mifflin and Centre Counties Fire and EMS Live Audio Feed
30 State Troopers moving in on the crowd from the North, University and local police from the South, trying to clear the streets.
What do you guys think this Saturday will hold?
I know OSU isn’t going to be kind to this team.
They should just call it a wrap on this season IMO.
I think they will forfeit the rest of their games, and shut it down for awhile.
Low volume of traffic on that channel.
2:20 AM Students may be needed sleep (my guess)
That is going to cost so much. Money, prestige, and general activity in the State College.
Between this and Climate-gate that school really needs an overhaul.
Videos starting to pop up on YouTube...
They want Lot to bring out the Angels.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Penn State is a cult and the football program is their shrine. I will bet a dollar that there are suicides over the loss of JoePa and that the victims of this predator will get death threats for ruining a great season of football and JoePa’s career. Bank on it.
I’m old fashioned enough to believe the perp should be found guilty before you start taking action against the perp’s alleged enablers. This case hasn’t even come to trial. Why the rush to oust Paterno? You DO realize booting Joe and the Prez plays right into Sandusky’s defense by prejudging his guilt? Even a rookie defense attorney could look at this action as prejudicial to his client. What were these hysterical board members thinking?
At many colleges and universities report to their own chain of command.
Our daughter worked at a women's dorm at night. Her instructions were "to report to campus security, do not call the police". This included any and all assaults. She severed ties to her alma mater, no mail forwarded plus she does want them to have her current address or phone numbers.
Academia has their own chain of command. Not making excuses for Joe, but if it happens on campus it stays on campus.
Also, totally weird to assert that these firings help the defense. I don't think the DA is going mind..
Of all weeks to be up at Penn State...
Here are some thoughts on the situation and the general feeling around town:
1) Everyone is disgusted with what happened. Sandusky is obviously public enemy number 1. Spanier was never extremely popular, and student and public opinion is strongly against him. People are also against Curley and Shultz. Finally the board is unpopular for firing JoePa.
2) This is one of the most unbelievable weeks of my 31 year-old life. Just unfathomable. I’m in disbelief, but I actually am able to comprehend what is happening at the same time. Indescribable.
3) The students are protesting in support of Paterno. They feel that he is innocent and is the victim of a media lynch mob. Hence chants of “f*** the media” and the flipped tv van.
4) The main activity of the mob was to chant things in support of Joe and just act like idiotic college kids. The violence was mainly focused on tipping light poles, and then of course the widely reported tipped tv van.
5) There were a lot of riot police there. I wonder whether it was a good idea for them to pace back and forth the way they did. That seemed to create the most dangerous situations with people running away creating stampedes. At one point, with the police lined up at the top of a gradually sloping alley, it looked just like what I have seen of the Kent State riots. Freaky. Of course, these riots are nowhere near as out of control as the Kent State riots were.
6) The average student seemed to be there for the sake of acting idiotic and witnessing history. Most people I talked to there felt bad about possible damages. However, I assume that’s what happens in many riots. The few act like idiots while the others stand back and watch.
7) I wonder how the rest of the week will play out? Will things escalate or was this a one-time riot. I have to think something will happen Saturday and probably also Friday. Honestly, things will probably escalate all week, since tomorrow is already Thursday. The board will have to keep in mind the possibility of canceling this game if things escalate too far. I still can’t believe how big of a deal this has become.
So there’s my unedited and tired rant after being at the riot.
Even though I’m convinced the perp is guilty, this circus before a trial isn’t helping anyone. It’s just not how we do things in the USA. Period.
If he had reported it to campus police, that would have been totally fine. (they are real police at PSU, BTW). Reporting to the Athletic Director not fine.
I have not been a fan of the "student athletes" who participate in college basketball or football for years.
It is a multimillion dollar industry. Some people will do anything for money.
Our universities are dominated by progressives and the new leadership at PSU will be as leftist as ever.
Wow! Thanks for the report!
My question exactly.
Cancellation of Saturday’s game is on my mind tonight....
Penn State football is a religion and Joe Paterno is its god.
The fans of Joe perceive this as an attack on “their religion.”
And that adds up to great potential for violence.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.