Skip to comments.Penn State Riots, Live Audio Feed
Posted on 11/09/2011 10:31:05 PM PST by tcrlaf
Mifflin and Centre Counties Fire and EMS Live Audio Feed
30 State Troopers moving in on the crowd from the North, University and local police from the South, trying to clear the streets.
Hope the fed indict the whole rotten bunch starting with Paterno.
Smaller crowd at College & Lotus. Stop Sign they have torn down plus they have OC can (?).
Need Officers .. Lotus (garbled
“Officer, please, for God’s sake, they’re looting the Food King!”
Anyone want to call out play by play my audio card is shot.
Large number of troopers arriving in the “Canyon” for use if needed.
They are rioting because they fired a man who harbored a child molester?
“They are rioting because they fired a man who harbored a child molester?”
Yeah, that’s about the gist of it...
And upsetting the apple-cat of one of the most gay-friendly campuses in America, and blaming the media for it...
Dispatchers sound calm, just doing their job.
College Street or College Ave mentioned on radio traffic.
"Couple of hundred pushed up on sidewalk,,,,,damage (garbled)".
And what’s left of Penn State’s dignity gets flushed down the toilet...
Why does this case seem to be different than any other in the history of American jurisprudence? The accusations are horrific, but there hasn’t even been a preliminary hearing!
The DA’s who did not prosecute before now...they should have a serious problem, too. The janitors who witnessed and did not called the police. And many other abettors in the suffering and humilation of boys.
Sounds like it.
Everyone who protected this pedophile should be hung alongside him.
Frankly, I haven’t seen Penn State students this upset since they found out they didn’t qualify for Purdue.
Could be tear gas.
Obviously possible criminal charges go through the typical slow process, but there is plenty to angry about now.
Joe won’t last that long, I predict he’ll be dead within the year, this was his life....without it, he won’t last.
What do you guys think this Saturday will hold?
I know OSU isn’t going to be kind to this team.
They should just call it a wrap on this season IMO.
I think they will forfeit the rest of their games, and shut it down for awhile.
Low volume of traffic on that channel.
2:20 AM Students may be needed sleep (my guess)
That is going to cost so much. Money, prestige, and general activity in the State College.
Between this and Climate-gate that school really needs an overhaul.
Videos starting to pop up on YouTube...
They want Lot to bring out the Angels.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Penn State is a cult and the football program is their shrine. I will bet a dollar that there are suicides over the loss of JoePa and that the victims of this predator will get death threats for ruining a great season of football and JoePa’s career. Bank on it.
I’m old fashioned enough to believe the perp should be found guilty before you start taking action against the perp’s alleged enablers. This case hasn’t even come to trial. Why the rush to oust Paterno? You DO realize booting Joe and the Prez plays right into Sandusky’s defense by prejudging his guilt? Even a rookie defense attorney could look at this action as prejudicial to his client. What were these hysterical board members thinking?
At many colleges and universities report to their own chain of command.
Our daughter worked at a women's dorm at night. Her instructions were "to report to campus security, do not call the police". This included any and all assaults. She severed ties to her alma mater, no mail forwarded plus she does want them to have her current address or phone numbers.
Academia has their own chain of command. Not making excuses for Joe, but if it happens on campus it stays on campus.
Also, totally weird to assert that these firings help the defense. I don't think the DA is going mind..
Of all weeks to be up at Penn State...
Here are some thoughts on the situation and the general feeling around town:
1) Everyone is disgusted with what happened. Sandusky is obviously public enemy number 1. Spanier was never extremely popular, and student and public opinion is strongly against him. People are also against Curley and Shultz. Finally the board is unpopular for firing JoePa.
2) This is one of the most unbelievable weeks of my 31 year-old life. Just unfathomable. I’m in disbelief, but I actually am able to comprehend what is happening at the same time. Indescribable.
3) The students are protesting in support of Paterno. They feel that he is innocent and is the victim of a media lynch mob. Hence chants of “f*** the media” and the flipped tv van.
4) The main activity of the mob was to chant things in support of Joe and just act like idiotic college kids. The violence was mainly focused on tipping light poles, and then of course the widely reported tipped tv van.
5) There were a lot of riot police there. I wonder whether it was a good idea for them to pace back and forth the way they did. That seemed to create the most dangerous situations with people running away creating stampedes. At one point, with the police lined up at the top of a gradually sloping alley, it looked just like what I have seen of the Kent State riots. Freaky. Of course, these riots are nowhere near as out of control as the Kent State riots were.
6) The average student seemed to be there for the sake of acting idiotic and witnessing history. Most people I talked to there felt bad about possible damages. However, I assume that’s what happens in many riots. The few act like idiots while the others stand back and watch.
7) I wonder how the rest of the week will play out? Will things escalate or was this a one-time riot. I have to think something will happen Saturday and probably also Friday. Honestly, things will probably escalate all week, since tomorrow is already Thursday. The board will have to keep in mind the possibility of canceling this game if things escalate too far. I still can’t believe how big of a deal this has become.
So there’s my unedited and tired rant after being at the riot.
Even though I’m convinced the perp is guilty, this circus before a trial isn’t helping anyone. It’s just not how we do things in the USA. Period.
If he had reported it to campus police, that would have been totally fine. (they are real police at PSU, BTW). Reporting to the Athletic Director not fine.
I have not been a fan of the "student athletes" who participate in college basketball or football for years.
It is a multimillion dollar industry. Some people will do anything for money.
Our universities are dominated by progressives and the new leadership at PSU will be as leftist as ever.
Wow! Thanks for the report!
My question exactly.
Cancellation of Saturday’s game is on my mind tonight....
Penn State football is a religion and Joe Paterno is its god.
The fans of Joe perceive this as an attack on “their religion.”
And that adds up to great potential for violence.
I know all too well.
The mindset is now “Penn State vs. the world.”
Never thought I’d see Penn State be the villains.
Paterno and others broke the law by not reporting known suspicions/information as to child sexual abuse to the police.
It doesn’t matter if Sandusky goes scott free. Though I doubt he will.
The law in PA says otherwise. There is a duty to report these types of incidents to the police or child protective services.
The school can tell people all they want “don’t call the police,” but that doesn’t make their policy legal and it doesn’t insulate the person from charges that they broke the law.
Feel free to go tell those kids to pull up their tent and ride their elephant home.
Yes, as MrShoop, pointed out, apart from the law, there is every moral reason to fire these people immediately.
This is really a lot like when the NFL suspended Michael Vick. Had to be done, first, because it was morally right, but also because the reaction to him was so fierce, there was no way the season could go on as usual.
One of the lessons here SHOULD be “IT’S ONLY A GAME.”
I know that may be hard for the Penn State cult to take in, but it should be one of the greatest life’s lessons they’ll ever have.
I don’t know why these people protected Sandusky, but you can bet at least part of it was to protect the football program, the university because it had the football program, and “the game.”
NONE of that has any worth whatsoever compared to protecting a human being.
The only intelligent thing that has happened during this circus is when the students tipped over the news van.
That event was reported by AP so the odds are 50/50 that the reporting is accurate.
Sad to see trial by and in the media is all to common in this day and time. Check the number of times it happens daily here on the FR threads.
Our daughter was working for a MO state college or university. I do not know what the law here in MO says.
Fine. But police reports, campus or otherwise, mean nothing until they are adjudicated in a court of law with jury and or judge. You do realize you or I could call the cops and swear out a complaint on anyone we want and they would duly note it and move on to their next call. There is absolutely no court in any of this, and yet people have been punished. This is hysteria, not how the system is supposed to work.