Skip to comments.Mitt Romney drops bombshell from his past
Posted on 11/22/2011 8:07:53 AM PST by dragonblustar
Via ABC News' Michael Falcone, who got his hands on an interview with Mitt Romney in a forthcoming issue of People magazine:
(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...
This is probably as close as we'll get.
I think Victor has a salient point though. If there is anything in his past, it will only be revealed if he's the nominee. Until then, he's too useful a tool to keep the party divided.
It cracks me up how Mormons look down on beer drinkers.
I read it differently...Hey, look at me, I don't drink or smoke (or even drink TEA)...and I'm superior to those of you who are slaves to your nasty habits....no, don't talk about my record... talk about how superior I am.
Mitt has that "righteousness" gene in abundance.
The next bombshell will be that he once went duck hunting...
Ah, Mitt who has been vicariously baptized for dead people, does things vicariously himself. Even literally gave $ to Planned Parenthood in '94 thru his wife, Anne.
The real historical bombshell is that Mitt was the driver behind a vehicle in France while on his "mission" there...the car was struck...and the wife of his mission president died.
Sounds almost too Teddy Kennedyish to be so (he ran vs. Teddy in '94)...but it's true.
Something about a man having a holier than thou attitude towards his fellow man....even if pretends otherwise.
Milt is fundamentally dishonest. Having defended abortion on demand, and bragged about it to get elected by liberals inhabiting Massatwosh!ts, he then lies and calls himself pro-life all his life, to get elected by conservatives. The problem with an LDS inc high priest doing this is he probably lies to himself and believes his lies because he has to in order to absolve himself from ‘failure to live without sin’.
This’ll cost him the Mormon and Muslim votes, for sure....
He tasted a beer but he didn’t inhale it.
We already have a martinet dictator in the White House...why should we even THINK of electing another one?
Life imitating art. SNL had “mitt romney” last week trying to prove that he was edgy too, treating women badly, making “endearing flubs,” etc. Very funny. Guess mitt didn’t see it.
The media won't touch that until the perfect time....
The real bombshell part is that he did it with Jim Bob Duggar...
I drink one or two non-alcohol beers a week.
I cook with it. Also use red wine when cooking certain beef dishes.
Sometimes I totally miss the obvious... I’m doing a ‘well, duh’ to myself as I type - thanks for sharing.
Mitt will next admit that he once went through the Supermarket Express Lane with more than 15 items.
So he is saying “I am so superior to you people, vote for me”.
Oh No! And now Politico has found him out. Now he’s toast.
I just don't like beer. I'll cook with it, but I don't drink it.
Now rum, on the other hand...
Mitt certainly is. I can't think how this is going to win over voters.
“I once thought an intern was a type of belly button.”
Did he inhale?
There goes the Mormon vote. At least the twenty something percent that actually attend and are true believers.
Well, they could do what they did to Herman Cain. Make something up.
Romney reminds me of Nathan Lane's character in, "The Birdcage." He tries to act normal but it just doesn't come natural to him.
You are probably the only person who gave up drinking when Obama was elected. Besides gun ownership going up, I’ll bet alcohol sales went up as well.
I enjoy drinking with my ex-Mormon friends. Last night I drank Vodka Martini’s with Tommy Monson’s first cousin.
He is a famous American artist that came to southern Utah for a retreat and to make paintings. So far he has polished off a bottle of vodka.
I read it as...
I can relate to you poor, unwashed masses because I once tried the same vices you struggle with every day. I have street cred.
Hitler didn’t drink or smoke, either.
Next he will admit that he once had a sip of coffee. Shame!!!!!!!!
So he HAS had coffee...
and I thought it was just a nasty rumor...
This is SERIOUS...
Jusgt like his father George Romney did, Williard Mitt Romney has a liquor cabinet full of booze “for guests”
So the White House would not be dry...
Mormons drink water instead of wine for their relious rituals...
They dont drink alcohol during their religious ceremonies any more...
But they do still drink socially...
and they still sell a whole bunch...
Almost as annoying as the non-denominational church I'm attending substituting grape juice for wine for the Eucharist. I wouldn't mind that as much if they didn't also change the Bible verses to say 'juice' instead of wine.
The Soviet Union made vodka cheaper than safe drinking water because they wanted potential resistors drunk. I chose not to fall into that trap.
I don’t ... even drink TEA)...
I started drinking TEA when I was 10...
added coffee a few years later...
after drinking TEA for 50+ years my health is great...
Funny how now the healthy qualities of tea and coffee are being found...
Wine is good for you too...
and who didnt use real beer for a “beer shampoo” during the 60s ???
it was cheaper than name brand Beer Shampoo...
the Supermarket Express Lane with more than 15 items.
only 15 ???
We have 20 here...
Sandy will tell you Willie Mitty was in Tennessee...
Spin thy name is RomneyBot
No, actually it’s series.
After four years of Obama, even Cosmo Kramer would seem like a good president.
Next thing you know, ol Mitt’l be gittin hisself a huntin license.
“And the worst thing Jimmy Carter did was to have lust in his heart.”
That’s the best/worst his little pea brain could manage.
You Dont Know Mitt: 99 Facts About Mitt Romney
1. As head of the investment company Bain Capital, Mitt Romney laid off thousands of workers.
[CBS News, 01/28/2008]
2. Mitt Romney’s advice on the foreclosure crisis: “Don’t try and stop the foreclosure process.”
[Mother Jones, 10/18/2011]
3. The former Bain Capital managing director said of Mitt Romney’s tenure: “We had a scheme where the rich got richer.”
[Los Angeles Times, 12/16/2007]
4. Mitt Romney set up shell companies in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda to avoid U.S. taxes.
[Los Angeles Times, 12/19/2007]
5. Mitt Romney calls Obama’s payroll tax cut that would save middle class/lower income families $1,500 a year “temporary little band aids.”
[Yahoo! News, 10/18/2011]
6. Mitt Romney’s first budget as governor included $240 million in fee increases.
[Meet the Press, 12/16/2007]
7. As governor, Mitt Romney made it more expensive to use an ice skating rink, register a boat, take the bar exam, and transport hazardous waste.
[Associated Press, The Boston Globe, 08/28/2007]
8. Mitt Romney’s plan for a “middle class tax cut” would provide zero benefits to 73.9 percent of the middle class.
9. In 2008, Mitt Romney proposed a $233 billion “stimulus package” to boost the economy.
[USA Today, 01/20/2008]
10. Under Mitt Romney’s leadership, Massachusetts ranked 47th among the 50 states in job creation.
11. During Mitt Romney’s tenure, Massachusetts’ job growth was at 0.9 percent, far behind the national average of over 5 percent.
12. A Northeastern University economist found that Massachusetts lagged on virtually every economic indicator while Mitt Romney was in office.
13. Mitt Romney has proposed tax cuts for the rich and corporations that would cost $7.8 trillion over 10 years.
14. Mitt Romney boasts a record for creating private-sector jobs, but as governor, state employment grew twice as fast as the private sector.
15. Mitt Romney called the Occupy Wall Street movement “dangerous.”
16. Mitt Romney’s top economic adviser Greg Mankiw said the “offshoring” of American jobs was a good thing.
[Washington Post, 02/11/2004]
17. Mitt Romney called for taxes on the poor, saying low-income Americans having no income tax liability is “a problem” that will “kill the country.”
18. Mitt Romney called the auto bailout “tragic.” After it succeeded his campaign claimed he “had the idea first.”
19. Back in 2002, a spokesman for Mitt Romney derided an anti-tax pledge as “government by gimmickry.” He signed the Americans for Tax Reform pledge in 2011.
20. Mitt Romney admits he couldn’t reduce Massachusetts’ multi-billion dollar budget deficit without new revenue.
[The Boston Globe, 04/6/2003]
21. Mitt Romney would repeal the Dodd-Frank bill, which regulates the risky practices that led to the 2008 crisis.
22. Mitt Romney, who lambasts the “failures” of government-backed mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, profits from investments in the firms.
23. Mitt Romney: “Corporations are people, my friend.”
24. In 1996, Mitt Romney called the flat tax a “tax cut for fat cats.” In 2011, Romney said “I love a flat tax.”
[New York Times, 10/24/2011]
25. Mitt Romney supports privatizing Social Security.
26. Mitt Romney defended his belief that we “should consider a higher retirement age” for Social Security and Medicare to preserve tax breaks for corporations.
27. Mitt Romney signed a budget that cut K-12 spending by $181.6 million (4 percent) and higher education spending by $100 million (10 percent).
[The Boston Globe, 10/24/2005]
28. Mitt Romney said he wants to “get the federal government out of education.”
29. As governor, Mitt Romney vetoed a minimum wage increase to $8 an hour.
[The Boston Globe, 08/1/2006]
30. Mitt Romney said he “cannot see that a Cabinet position would be justified” for an American Muslim.
31. Mitt Romney opposes troop withdrawal from Iraq.
32. Mitt Romney says the U.S. should cede humanitarian aid and global leadership to China: “We ought to get the Chinese to take care of the people.”
33. Mitt Romney vowed to increase the size of the military by 100,000 troops.
[Associated Press, 10/8/2011]
34. Mitt Romney said that catching bin Laden would be “insignificant” and it’s “not worth moving heaven and earth.”
[New York Times, 05/3/2007]
35. Mitt Romney wanted “bombardment” of Iran.
[New York Times, 10/26/2007]
36. Mitt Romney advocated doubling the size of Guantanamo.
37. Mitt Romney says Obama’s worst foreign policy mistake is the START treaty, a modest treaty originally negotiated by Reagan to ensure nuclear stability between the U.S. and Russia.
38. Many of Mitt Romney’s foreign policy advisers helped push the U.S. into war with Iraq.
39. In 2008, Mitt Romney said if a Democrat won the White House it would mean “attacks on America.”
40. Mitt Romney says it was “entirely possible” that Saddam did have WMDs.
41. Asked if Iraq was a mistake, Mitt Romney said “Well, the question is kind of a nonsequitur.”
[Media Matters, 06/6/2007]
42. Mitt Romney named Walid Phares, a radical Islamophobe tied to a militia that committed atrocities, to his foreign policy team.
[The New Republic, 10/24/2011]
43. Mitt Romney won’t say whether he thinks waterboarding is torture.
[Democracy Now, 11/29/2007]
44. Mitt Romney criticized President Obama for a nearly identical green energy program Romney set up in his state. Three of the six companies the Massachusetts fund invested in are now defunct or struggling.
45. Mitt Romney opposes regulating carbon dioxide and other gases linked to climate change.
46. Mitt Romney supports drilling for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
[The Boston Globe, 12/13/2005]
47. Mitt Romney considers liquid coal a “clean” technology, though it emits more greenhouse gasses than oil.
[USA Today, 09/27/2007]
48. Mitt Romney stalled and eventually withdrew from a multi-state “pollution pact” that would cap plants’ carbon emissions.
[The Boston Globe, 12/10/2005]
49. Mitt Romney said the Clean Air Act doesn’t apply to carbon emissions.
50. Today, Mitt Romney says a cap and trade program would have “devastating results for people across the planet.” In 2005, Romney said he was “convinced” that cap and trade was “good business.”
51. Mitt Romney’s energy policy adviser works for a lobbying firm for a major coal company.
52. Mitt Romney supports unlimited coal and oil production.
53. Mitt Romney supports penalties for doctors who perform an abortion.
54. Mitt Romney wants to see Roe v. Wade overturned.
[Meet The Press, 12/16/2007]
55. Mitt Romney used to say he was pro-choice, and now he’s “avidly pro-life.”
[Sioux City Journal, 12/27/2007]
56. Mitt Romney would “absolutely” support a state constitutional amendment to define life as beginning at conception, which would restrict women’s right to an abortion.
57. In 2005, Mitt Romney vetoed a measure that would have increased access to emergency contraception by allowing pharmacists to provide the pill without a prescription.
58. Mitt Romney pledged to expand a Bush-Era policy of permitting doctors to deny women access to contraceptives.
59. Top Mitt Romney legal adviser Robert Bork said women “aren’t discriminated against anymore.”
60. Mitt Romney drafted a bill to exempt a religious group from nondiscrimination rules, allowing it to ban gay couples from adopting children.
[Associated Press, 03/14/2006]
61. In the 1990s, Mitt Romney told the Log Cabin Republicans that he’d be better than Ted Kennedy on gay rights.
62. Mitt Romney has signed the National Organization for Marriage anti-gay campaign pledge, calling for a federal amendment outlawing same-sex marriage.
63. Mitt Romney on Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’s end: “I believe it should have been kept in place until conflict was over.”
64. Mitt Romney refused to condemn the booing of a gay soldier at a GOP debate.
65. Mitt Romney suggested the government should continue to subsidize religious organizations that discriminate against gay couples in the adoption process.
66. Campaigning in 1994, Mitt Romney said “I don’t line up with the NRA.” Today, Mitt Romney is a lifetime member of the NRA.
67. Mitt Romney criticized Ted Kennedy for not being tough enough on guns.
[The Boston Globe, 08/27/1994]
68. Mitt Romney falsely claimed he was endorsed by the NRA in 2002.
[Washington Post, 12/16/2007]
69. Mitt Romney blamed pornography for the Virginia Tech shooting.
[Fox News, 07/5/2007]
70. Mitt Romney’s former health care consultant, an MIT economist, claimed the former governor is being “dishonest” when he says he didn’t have to raise taxes in order to pay for Romneycare.
71. Mitt Romney said he supported the Ryan Republican budget plan that would effectively end Medicare.
72. Mitt Romney’s first act as president would be to allow all states to opt out of health reform through executive action, which would be illegal.
73. Mitt Romney would repeal the broad prohibition against denying coverage to individuals with pre-existing conditions.
74. Mitt Romney claims Massachusetts is not a model for health reform, after saying in 2009 his state “is a model for getting everyone insured.”
75. Mitt Romney criticizes “Obamacare” but it is functionally identical to Romneycare.
76. Mitt Romney reversed his campaign position, enacting abstinence-only sex education in schools.
[The Boston Globe, 06/30/2007]
77. Mitt Romney’s health care advisers played a key role in drafting the Affordable Care Act.
78. Mitt Romney: “I’m running for office, for Pete’s sake, I can’t have illegals.”
79. Mitt Romney initially supported the Bush plan for a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants. He later denounced it.
[Washington Post, 02/4/2008]
80. Mitt Romney was endorsed in 2008 by radical anti-immigrant activists like Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-CO) and Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
81. The landscaping company Mitt Romney used to tend his mansion for 10 years employed illegal immigrants.
82. Mitt Romney criticized Rick Perry for providing government benefits to undocumented immigrants, but Romneycare provided free health care to undocumented immigrants.
[Los Angeles Times, 10/23/2011]
83. As of October 2011, Mitt Romney has raised more than five times as much money from Wall St. employees as Obama, raising $1.5 million.
84. A leaked strategic document from Mitt Romney’s 2007 campaign lists “perfect hair” among the candidate’s flaws.
[The Boston Globe, 02/27/2007]
85. Mitt Romney said he finds “it hard to disagree with Rush Limbaugh on topics.”
86. Mitt Romney in 2004: “From now on, it’s me me me.”
[The Boston Globe, 06/30/2007]
87. Whenever the Massachussets House challenged Mitt Romney, they overrode his vetoes 99.6 percent of the time.
[The Boston Globe, 06/30/2007]
88. Mitt Romney in 2008: I “love” George W. Bush.
89. Mitt Romney refused to pardon an Iraq war veteran’s BB-gun conviction but called Bush’s commutation of Scooter Libby’s prison sentence “reasonable.”
90. Tea Party billionaire David Koch hosted one of Mitt Romney’s first fundraisers for his 2012 campaign.
91. Mitt Romney considers himself “in sync” with the Tea Party.
92. Mitt Romney’s beach house has a “nonliving area” that is twice the size of the average American home.
93. Mitt Romney plans to bulldoze his 3,000-square-foot $12 million home in California to replace it with one four times its size. Romney also owns a $10 million estate in New Hampshire.
94. Mitt Romney feels Americans’ pain because he’s “also unemployed.” Romney was worth $250 million in 2008.
95. Mitt Romney’s Olympics office refused to give free or discounted tickets to family of firefighters who died in 9/11, though it provided tickets to Utah legislators.
[The Boston Globe, 06/28/2007]
96. Mitt Romney made millions investing in companies that did business in Iran.
[CNN Money, 07/12/2007]
97. Mitt Romney falsely claimed he saw his father march with MLK Jr.
[The Boston Phoenix, 12/21/2007]
98. In 2007, Mitt Romney briefly declared his favorite book was Scientology classic Battlefield Earth, though he quickly changed it to Mark Twain’s Hucklebery Finn.
99. Mitt Romney won’t release his tax returns.
Sounds almost too Teddy Kennedyish to be so (he ran vs. Teddy in '94)...but it's true.
I'm pretty sure I have seen you make this Kennedy comparison before. Just in case you are uneducated, other than being in a car accident where someone died, there is nothing in comparison.
Kennedy was on a late night date with a mistress. Romnney was driving a car with 6 people in it on the way back from a church function.
Kennedy drove off the road, probably due to drunkenness. Romney was hit head on by a car that was in his lane (the other car was passing a truck).
Kennedy left the scene of the accident, walked home, slept off the drunk, called a lawyer, all while his passenger drowned and potentially could have been rescued if he didn't hide what he did. Romney was declared dead at the scene by a responding cop.
I can't stand the guy's politics either (outside of the idea that it would be nice to have someone with business leadership experience, which is why I am considering Cain). But there is no need to imply something that just isn't there.
He started his "business career" as an investment banker?
He’s not even on my radar.