|This thread has been locked, it will not receive new replies.|
Locked on 01/22/2013 5:13:11 AM PST by Sidebar Moderator, reason:
Go to 2013 thread
Skip to comments.THREAT MATRIX 2012 #1
Posted on 01/01/2012 5:51:39 PM PST by MestaMachine
click here to read article
The American militarys top-secret Joint Special Operations Command is preparing detailed information that could be used to kill or capture some of the militants suspected in the attack last month in Libya....
"Any decision to conduct kill-or-capture missions in Libya would almost certainly be made by Mr. Obama, after holding several classified meetings headed by John O. Brennan, the presidents top counterterrorism adviser, and involving the administrations top national security deputies. American officials are also working closely with Libyan authorities who have been cooperating in the F.B.I.s investigation into the attacks."
"..... The C.I.A. and Defense Department declined to comment."
"American counterterrorism officials now believe that Ansar al-Shariah likely had a general attack plan for the American Mission in Benghazi on the shelf and when the opportunity presented itself specifically reports of the demonstration at the United States Embassy in Cairo and the breach of the walls there that set the attack in motion, said one American official who has read classified intelligence reports on the attack. "
Oh BULL! It was the exact opposite.
"But the real smoking gun is whether the Obama administration was warned in advance that al-Qaeda was planning an attack.
A number of Israeli newspapers have suggested that Washington was warned as early as September 4a week earlierthat the environment in Benghazi was becoming increasingly hostile and anti-American, while in London the Foreign Office took the decision to withdraw all its consular staff from Benghazi two months before the murders. This decision was based on an intelligence assessment made by MI6 that al-Qaeda was openly operating in the area following a failed assassination attempt on Sir Dominic Asquith, Britain's ambassador to Libya,in June."
"It is well known that British intelligence works closely with its counterpart in America,and if MI6 knew al-Qaeda was operating in the Benghazi region,then it is highly likely that the CIA did too."
Suddenly the Administration's "it's nothing to do with us, guv,"defence is starting to look rather thin, with potentially disastrous consequences for Mr Obama's re-election prospects.
"In the five months leading up to this years 9/11 anniversary, there were two bombings on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi and increasing threats to and attacks on the Libyan nationals hired to provide security at the U.S. missions in Tripoli and Benghazi. "
Details on these alleged incidents stem in part from the testimony of a handful of whistleblowers who approached the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform in the days and weeks following the attack on the Benghazi consulate.
GOP: Consulate received multiple threats, had requested security
By Julian Pecquet - 10/02/12 03:28 PM ET
Two House Republicans say they have been informed by whistleblowers that the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi was attacked and threatened 13 times before the incident last month that killed four Americans.
Reps. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) sent Secretary of State Hillary Clinton a letter on Tuesday that detailed the whistleblowers allegations.
Based on information provided to the Committee by individuals with direct knowledge of events in Libya, the attack that claimed the ambassadors life was the latest in a long line of attacks on Western diplomats and officials in Libya in the months leading up to September 11, 2012, Issa and Chaffetz wrote. It was clearly never, as Administration officials once insisted, the result of a popular protest.”
The congressmen said the consulate asked for more security to deal with the growing threat but was turned down by the administration.
In addition, multiple U.S. federal government officials have confirmed to the Committee that, prior to the September 11 attack, the U.S. mission in Libya made repeated requests for increased security in Benghazi. The mission in Libya, however, was denied these resources by officials in Washington.
These are stunning and damning revelations. I can’t help wonder what Romney is going to do with this tomorrow night (if anything...sigh).
Early voters (huge number, I had no idea) won’t have this info.
I will miss tomorrow’s debate. Will tape. If you see a live thread, will you ping me please.
"As the US tenses for more al Qaeda terror in Africa in the wake of the murders of Ambassador Chris Stevens in Benghazi, our researchers have turned up information indicating that the ambassador was running members of the group which murdered him as penetration agents against al Qaeda."
White House continues Benghazi stonewall
The Daily Caller ^ | 10/03/2012 | Neil Munro
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:28:13 AM by Nachum
White House spokesman Jay Carney is successfully stonewalling media questions about the Sept. 11, 2012, attack in Benghazi, Libya, amid damaging new revelations about security flubs, new congressional inquiries and the election-eve crash of the administrations Muslim outreach strategy. Embassy security is a matter that has been the purview of the State Department.
So Im not going to have very much to provide to you on the security situation on the ground in Libya, Carney told ABCs Jake Tapper, in response to a question about the leaked news that requests by embassy staff
Great links on thread.
From the article:
In late September, Obama deputies but not the president dropped the claim that enraged anti-video protestors attacked the embassy.
But the attacks and attempted cover-up have damaged his poll ratings on foreign policy, and have prompted Republican nominee Mitt Romney to repeatedly criticize his foreign policy.
The policy was built around Obamas June 2009 new beginning strategy of outreach to the Middle East.
That strategy helped Islamists gain power in Egypts general election, and spurred Obamas decision to overthrow Libyas dictator in 2011.
Those empowered and ambitious Islamist leaders in Egypt, Turkey and other countries are now pushing Obama to curb Americans free-speech, to provide more financial aid, and to increase pressure on Israel.
Islamists are also playing a leading role in Syrias civil war against its dictator, Bashir Assad, and they have seized control of Northern Mali.
Mali is the country just south of Libya. Islamist jihadis, armed with weapons and experience from the Libyan war, have imposed Islamist rule on the norther part of the impoverished country.
Iran is also refusing to stop its nuclear weapons program.
Despite this and the Benghazi attack, few legacy media outlets are highlighting the collapse of the presidents 2009 strategy.
Indonesia: 5000 Muslims chant Allahu akbar,march on US Emb. - “Go to h* with your freedom of expres”
Jihad Watch ^ | Monday, October 1, 2012 | Robert Spencer
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:41:24 AM by Jyotishi
It is indeed going to hell, because fewer and fewer Americans seem to grasp its value. “Anti-Islam film sparks protest in Jakarta: Some 5,000 Muslims march through the Indonesian capital to U.S. embassy,” from The Associated Press, October 1 (thanks to Kenneth):
Thousands of Muslims enraged over an anti-Islam film have marched through Indonesia’s capital....
Libyans say few questions being asked about attack
Washington Post ^ | Oct. 2, 2012 | By Michael Birnbaum and Anne Gearan
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 2:10:23 AM by Brad from Tennessee
BENGHAZI, Libya Three weeks after the attack that killed four Americans in this city, the investigation of its causes remains in its initial stages, with just a handful of suspects detained, the crime scenes minimally secured and Walid Faraj waiting for a phone call from someone, anyone, asking him what he saw on the night he was injured while protecting the U.S. diplomatic post here.
Faraj, a member of the militia that local officials tasked with securing Americans in Benghazi, said he saw the attack nearly from start to finish. But neither American nor Libyan investigators have paid him a visit, even as he fears that the perpetrators know who he is. . .
From the article:
Some of the incidents had been disclosed earlier, but others appeared to be new revelations. In one case, he said, Libyans working as private security guards at the U.S. compound were warned by family members in the weeks before the assault to quit their jobs because of rumors of an impending attack. He did not specify where the information originated.
Faraj said he wondered whether anyone was trying to find out what happened the evening that U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens was killed along with three other Americans.
Since that day, nobody has called, nobody cared, said Faraj, 28, who lost a tooth in the attack and whose legs are peppered with small wounds from the firefight. How is it the Americans didnt anticipate anything?
Witnesses are scattered across Benghazi, a port town where the uprising that toppled Libyan leader Moammar Gaddafi began. But many say they havent heard from investigators.
More at link
"Remember, it was Barack Obama who issued Executive Privilege that has allowed him to hide any White House related information from Congressional investigators.
"Some SERIOUS stuff going on right now "
U.S. had early indications Libya attack tied to organized militants
Reuters ^ | Oct. 3, 2012 | Mark Hosenball and Tabassum Zakaria
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:03:22 PM by Free ThinkerNY
Reuters) - Within hours of last month’s attacks on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, President Barack Obama’s administration received about a dozen intelligence reports suggesting militants connected to al Qaeda were involved, three government sources said.
Despite these reports, in public statements and private meetings, top U.S. officials spent nearly two weeks highlighting intelligence suggesting that the attacks were spontaneous protests against an anti-Muslim film, while playing down the involvement of organized militant groups.
It was not until last Friday that Director of National Intelligence James Clapper’s office issued an unusual public statement, which described how the picture that intelligence agencies presented to U.S. policymakers had “evolved” into an acknowledgement that the attacks were “deliberate and organized” and “carried out by extremists.”
The existence of the early reports appears to raise fresh questions about the Obama administration’s public messaging about the attack as it seeks to fend off Republican charges that the White House failed to prevent a terrorist strike that left a U.S. ambassador and three others dead.
Al Qaeda Responsible for 4 Attacks on U.S. Embassies in September
Weekly Standard ^ | 10/03/2012 | Thomas Jocelyn
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:03:12 PM by SeekAndFind
On and around September 11, 2012, al Qaeda attacked multiple American assets around the world. The attack that has received the most attention is the deadly attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that killed Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans. But the U.S. consulate in Libya was not the only diplomatic facility assaulted by al Qaeda-affiliated groups in September. Terrorists with ties to al Qaedas senior leaders, including al Qaeda emir Ayman al Zawahiri, were involved in at least three other U.S. embassy sieges in Egypt, Yemen, Tunisia, and possibly elsewhere.
A timeline of these assaults is presented below.
Egypt (September 11) Mohammed al Zawahiri, the younger brother of al Qaeda emir Ayman al Zawahiri, admitted to helping organize the protests at the U.S. embassy in Cairo. Mohammed al Zawahiri is a longtime Egyptian Islamic Jihad (EIJ) operative who was jailed in Egypt until earlier this year. The EIJ is a core part of al Qaedas joint venture. Both the EIJ and Gamaa Islamiya (IG), another close ally of al Qaeda, planned to protest outside of the U.S. embassy in Cairo before the anti-Islam film became known.
The day before the embassy protest in Cairo, on September 10, al Qaeda released a video of Ayman al Zawahiri, who called on jihadists to exact revenge for the death of Abu Yahya al Libi. A drone strike killed Abu Yahya in June, making the al Qaeda chieftains delayed eulogy curious.
Ayman al Zawahiri used the video to argue that al Qaeda has not been defeated because senior al Qaeda leaders have been killed in northern Pakistan and elsewhere. Instead, Ayman al Zawahiri said, al Qaedas message has spread amongst our Muslim Ummah, which received it with acceptance and responded to it.
Obama administration moves to purchase empty Illinois prison that was once at the center of Guantanamo military prison controversy
WaPo: Sensitive documents left behind at American mission in Libya
Washington Post ^ | October 3, 2012 | Michael Birnbaum
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2012 3:59:39 PM by maggief
BENGHAZI, Libya More than three weeks after attacks in this city killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, sensitive documents remained only loosely secured in the remains of the U.S. mission here on Wednesday, offering visitors easy access to delicate details about American operations in Libya.
Documents detailing weapons collection efforts, emergency evacuation protocols, the full internal itinerary of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevenss trip and the personnel records of Libyans who were contracted to secure the mission were among the items scattered across the floors of the looted compound when a Washington Post reporter and a translator visited Wednesday.
From the article:
At least one document found amid the clutter indicates that Americans at the mission were discussing the possibility of an attack in early September, just two days before the assault took place. The document is a memorandum dated Sept. 9 from the U.S. missions security office to the 17th February Martyrs Brigade, the Libyan-government-sanctioned militia that was guarding the compound, making plans for a quick reaction force, or QRF, that would provide security.
In the event of an attack on the U.S. Mission, the document states, QRF will request additional support from the 17th February Martyrs Brigade.
Other documents detail with names, photographs, phone numbers and other personal information the Libyans contracted to provide security for the mission from a British-based private firm. Some of those Libyans say they now fear for their lives, and the State Department has said it shares concerns about their safety.
The itinerary of Stevenss trip to Benghazi includes a near-full accounting of his planned movements during what was supposed to be a visit that lasted from Sept. 10 until Sept. 15. It includes names and phone numbers of Libyans who scheduled were to meet with him. Some of those Libyans have not made their contact with Stevens public and could be at risk if it were publicly known.
Thomson prison sale 'deeply troubling,' Virginia congressman says
FOXNEWS Illinois - 6 hours ago
Well, isn’t that just ducky. Our FBI can’t/won’t go in there, but the WaPo does. I pity those poor Libyans who were covertly aiding us who are now “outed”. I’m certain that AQ found a veritible treasure trove of intel in there.
” - - - Obama administration moves to purchase empty Illinois prison - - - “
Duh, are they also remodeling it for gas chambers and ovens?
See no evil hear no evil speak no evil....I wonder if the Feds are still in Tripoli because its too dannnggeeeerrooouss for them.Probably hard to “investigate”what the regime obviously does not want investigated miles away.