Skip to comments.Filmgoer takes stand on costly snacks, sues AMC Livonia theater [link only]
Posted on 03/05/2012 2:44:22 PM PST by grundle
Link only due to copyright concerns:
Well that’s interesting. The link just circles back. Oh well.
Why doesn’t he sue for $1-per-gallon gas?
I'm surprised they just didn't call 911 and have the theater manager arrested for high prices.
Heck, I just bring my own.
It’s meritless for any number of reasons, both legal and practical. The most important aspect to this IMO is that there seems to be no lower limit to what people think they’re entitled to these days.
I note that the wheelchair-bound woman in the picture has time take in the full cinema experience on a Friday morning, when most people who can’t afford that are either working or at home.
Me too, although I got thrown out of the theater. It wasn't the food, it was the microwave they objected to.
They did too, till the theater posted a sign banning the practice.
The article says they are suing under the Michigan consumer protection act. But that two state supreme court decisions exempted most regulated businesses from that act. So they are thinking the suit will be thrown out.
Which makes me wonder, why are movie theaters regulated? And in what way?
He’s gonna lose. You have options. But the theaters really ought to consider lowering prices. I know they’re in a hard spot because most of the ticket money goes to Hollywood and so they have to make the money on concessions but I think they’re gilding the lily. If they went to convenience store prices people would stop smuggling stuff (bought at the convenience stores) in, revenue would go up. Heck for convenience store prices they’d probably get impulse shoppers. Our local arthouse keeps prices low and they turned a profit this year, not a big profit but it’s a 2 screen arthouse in a time when most theaters are losing money fast.
I went to a movie this past weekend,one of two or three I see in a year’s time. There were very few people at the concession stand. Maybe the problem will take care of itself.
Funny, they don't object to my heater, but it's self contained.
from another article:
“Morgan did offer up this tidbit about Thompson, which might explain why the plaintiff is paying careful attention to what flies out of his wallet: Thompson is newly engaged and getting married in just a few months.”
Some time back, I took my g/daughter to see “Schreck”, I dunno how to spell it. Anyway, it cost me almost $40 for tickets, a drink each, a split box of pop corn and a small box of candy. That totally sucks dude.
The theater’s argument is simple.
1) We do not make very much profit from the movies themselves. Our source of profit is our concessions.
2) Renting a building large enough to house a theater is expensive, as is the cost of utilities and employing our staff.
3) Therefore we request the judge dismiss the lawsuit, with any associated costs to be paid by the man who filed this lawsuit and his attorney.
The first week can see up to 90% of the gross going straight to the studio. There's no way that the remaining 10% can pay the rent, staff, electricity, etc.
It’s far simpler than that, as implied in the article: they’re already regulated, so the MCPA doesn’t apply. This will be dismissed during the first court appearance, and in a correctly run judicial system, the attorney would be fined.
I used to take in my own, but one night they noticed my microwave...