Skip to comments.97% Of The Travelers On America's 'Mother Road' Are White
Posted on 03/29/2012 7:41:59 AM PDT by blam
97% Of The Travelers On America's 'Mother Road' Are White
March 29, 2012, 8:06 AM
A big report is out on the importance of Route 66, which John Steinbeck dubbed America's "mother road."
The study by Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, the National Park Service and the American Express Foundation argues for state spending to support this culture and economic institution.
But who enjoys the road from Chicago to Santa Monica?
The socioeconomic profile of the Route 66 traveler is:
1. Overwhelmingly (97 percent) white in race.
2. Overwhelmingly (97 percent) not Hispanic in ethnicity (recall however, the English-only version of the survey).
3. Generally (71 percent) married, though about one-tenth never married and one-seventh are currently divorced/widowed/separated.
4. Overwhelmingly middle-age (median of about 55 years) with a prominent senior contingent (46 percent were 60 years or older) and a younger cohort as well (about one-ninth were 20 to 39 years of age).
5. Generally (61 percent) in a two-member household, though about one seventh were in one-member households and a small share (3 percent) were in large households of five or more members.
6. Typically well educated (about 30 percent have started or finished undergraduate college and an approximately equal share have started/completed graduate work), with some exceptions (about one-eighth have either just attended or graduated high school).
7. Employed in many occupations (about one-fifth are in service, sales, transportation, and maintenance), though the most popular occupation category by far (36 percent) is management and professional (the latter management/professional finding comporting with the typically more advanced educational attainment noted earlier). Of note is that about four-tenths of the Route 66 travelers are retired.
8. Generally of middle-income (median household income of about $62,500), though there is a considerable
(Excerpt) Read more at businessinsider.com ...
I nearly trashed my keyboard on that one!
Old Route 66 is mostly gone (replaced by I-55 and I-44), and no longer contiguous, through most of Illinois and Missouri. Many locales along the route have preserved “historic” sections of the old road, along with the requisite roadside tourist attractions.
Wonder what the stats for I-94 between Detroit and Chicago look like.
Why, hell, there probably is a study like that. Maybe we need a study to find out who's doing that study. They could have called me to find out why there's so many "white" people using Rt 66. I could have told them for free. But then I don't have a Ph.D. (Piled High and Deep, or Post Hole Digger).
What’s next a study on why whites make up 97% of people at Wine Tasting events?
Had a wonderful time driving what’s left of the old road. I loved going off the freeway and down the main drag of the old towns. Loved the motel signs that say “Refrigerated Air”.
I didn’t see anything about it in the article, but my guess is that about 90% are bikers or rodders just enjoying some history.
Though I grew up in old SoCal, near its end, I have not driven it yet, but hope one day to travel it’s full length, uh, maybe except suburban L.A. and Chicago.
Why are so many hunters white?
Surely someone can give me some money to seek the answer to that question.
Can you imagine that some hammerass got paid to look at the people coming down the road and, from that position, determine whether they were “white” or no. Since it’s almost impossible to do such a study, I think there was some slight of hand going on here.
I can’t imagine someone looking forward to sitting in the sun, staring at cars all day, for many days, trying to figure out where the racism in on Rt.66.
This just plain stinks.
I just celebrated my 69th birthday and can say that in all those years I've only met ONE white person. I was a lifeguard at Seaside Heights, (yes Snookie's beach). It was about 6 PM and I was getting ready to clock out. A family came on the beach. The Dad came over and asked about the water conditions. Mom was laying down the beach blanket and their child caught my eye since it was covered head to foot with a sweat suit and mask covered its face along sith sun glasses. Its hands wore gloves and feet wore flip flops with white gym socks.
The Dad noticed my interet and called "Jim! Come over here. Jim came and his Dad directed him to undress since the sun was below the boardwlak and stands and the beach was in shadows.
Jim removed his hooded shirt and mask and I recognized his condition. His skin was white,his hair was white and and his eye color was white.
He was 14 but a college freshman. He was home schooled but his mind was sharp. He told me that his family had sacrificed the "normal life" in order for him to grow and blossom in the night. He explained in the Middle Ages his type was reviled and the stories of vampires, witches and ghosts could be traced to albinism.
When a study suggests that 97% of Route 66 travelers are WHITE
I say Phooey!
That vette and the Kookie T-bucket started my lifelong facination with automobiles.
Lemme take a wild guess that crime and road rage are extremely rare on this road as well.
Well duh! The Travelers, or Pavee, are a nomadic people of Irish origin. Of course they are White.
OK! What’s your point? Did I make a racist remark? I don’t think so.
Road trips really aren’t a part of American black culture. And if I had Jesse, Al, and Obi from Nairobi contstantly telling me that rural America was full of white racist crackers who would try to lynch me if they ever caught me alone, I wouldn’t venture far from my neighborhood, either.
US Rt 66 doesn’t go through the Rockies. Actually it is really flat almost the entire way across the Midwest and then the desert Southwest. Were you on US Rt 50 perhaps?
The route 66 museum in Clinton, Oklahoma is worth the trip.
What a shock to see a white kid in the NCAA tournament. Racist NCAA! Where is the diversity!????????? Sarcasm off!