Skip to comments.Would-Be Copper Thief ‘Extremely Grave’ After He’s Shocked And Catches On Fire
Posted on 05/07/2012 9:33:00 AM PDT by grundle
SAN BERNARDINO (CBS) A would-be copper thief was gravely injured early Saturday morning when he attempted to steal copper wiring from a live Edison vault, according to authorities.
Witnesses told CBS2 and KCAL9 reporter Melissa Maynarich that the man could be heard screaming in agony.
Jeff Grammatico was across the street from the substation when he said, I heard a boom. He added, It made me jump from one side of the room to the other.
He ran to the fence and saw a man burning alive. It was scary. I was trying to cut the gate to get in. It was horrifying to watch him burn.
Grammatico says he ran back to his home to get a fire extinguisher while another passerby called 911. He kept standing and screaming, screaming, screaming. And I couldnt get in. I had a fire extinguisher. But he wouldnt come over. But he started to roll.
Officials say the suspect is extremely grave and that its likely he was burned by 33,000 volts of electricity.
The incident occurred on the corner of Rialto and Stoddard about 2 a.m.
Southern California Edison said about 14,000 customers lost power. Service was fully restored by Saturday afternoon.
The man is described as a man in his 20s. Police have not released the mans name. Witnesses said he was so badly burned there was no way for him to be identified. JR Velasquez said it was hard to witness the horror of the man burning. It was something I really never seen n my life. Never happened to any animal or anybody.
The man has not yet been charged with a crime. Police are trying to locate his family.
“You’ll never take me alive, Copper!”
They say the burned hand teaches best...
I hope Edison had the WARNING in multiple languages, so that the thief or his family will have a harder time suing Edison.
Oh yes he has.
Spontaneous Human Combustion?
“Gravely injured” enough for a Darwin award?
... and how can they say that he wasn’t charged, after touching a 34kV line?
Gravely injured enough for a Darwin award?
Well, I’m sure it roasted his chestnuts, so reproduction won’t be an issue.
So, on his next job application, for past employment, can he put ‘conductor’?
LMAO! And all I can think of is Debbie Boone singin “You Light Up My Life”!
“A would-be copper thief ...”
Like he didn’t have a history of stealing copper prior to this?
Understand the shock treatment also cured his drug addiction...
Feel sorry for the dude. Could end up like Dallas Weins, the face transplant guy from Texas who was severely burned in an electrical accident. Google his name for his pre-transplant pictures - quite a horror.
Note to metal thieves: make sure the circuit is de-energized before pulling any wires.
I’m betting this guy had/has a
“workin’s for CHUMPS”
I’m sorry, but I laughed at that
I love a story with
A happy ending
If he goes for a job at Acorn, rather than a Conductor, he should say he has been a Resistor.
God help me I chuckled.
Ohm Muh Gawd.
How about the Doors’ “Light my Fire”?
He won the award for an electrifying performance.
“But he wouldnt come over. But he started to roll.
I guess he tripped the light fantastic.
It is not a happy ending.
The guy is alive, will have massive medical bills that the taxpayer or the hospital will have to eat, and he or his estate will undoubtedly start a lawsuit over his injuries or death.
Appearing nightly at Joe’s Comedy House.
“The Live Wire”.
I wonder who is paying for his medical bills. Think this twerp had insurance?
Interesting current events story.
they call it “grave” condition for a reason...
Very succinct but slightly ambiguous even for an implied bump ... ;-)
He was a well grounded individual.
It ain't the volts it's the amps. Nevertheless I would imagine there was considerable amperage involved.
Darwin Award runner-up.
I feel sorry for the customers who lost power because of this dope.
Once they charge him they have to pay his medical bill.
[ Gravely injured enough for a Darwin award?
Well, Im sure it roasted his chestnuts, so reproduction wont be an issue. ]
Now that is a “Tingle up the Leg” on par with the one Chrissy Mathews had in 2008....
From the SB County Coroner.
Coroner case 701203296 VN: Back on Saturday morning, May 5, 2012, at about 2:00 AM, a man received electrical burn injuries while attempting to remove copper wiring from an electrical relay station on Stoddard Ave., just south of Rialto Ave., in the city of San Bernardino. Michael Morga Garcia, a 26 year old resident of San Bernardino, was transported by ambulance to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead Sunday evening, May 6th, at 8:32 PM. The incident is under investigation by San Bernardino Police Department. [05/06/12 2300 VN]
Did they check Meh-Hee-Co?
Exactly. They want the hospital to sue Edison for their expenses, instead of billing the city.
"I'm shocked ... shocked!"
in which G, the conductance, is 1/R, and V = 33kV, we get 1.089 MW into Mr. Copperman. Of course, that's assuming no line drop, and it's also assuming no increase in resistance over time due to the... ahem... loss of conductance that would occur as Mr. Copperman's bodily fluids ah... outgassed.
On the other hand, he may have been ingulfed by a huge arc, in which case the resistance would have been much lower, just a few ohms. In that circumstance, the power dissipated could have been much higher, many megawatts. It's hard to imagine how he could have been alive more than a few milliseconds though.
Well at least now his condition has “stabilized.”
Stick a fork in him, he’s cooked.
KISS, "Shock Me".
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.