Skip to comments.Guidelines on Hatred and the Religion Forum
Posted on 06/22/2012 8:48:35 AM PDT by Religion Moderator
It is within the bounds of open Religion Forum town square style debate for a Freeper to express his hatred of a belief. But such posts are never allowed on RF threads labeled prayer devotional caucus or ecumenical.
It is never within the bounds on the Religion Forum for a Freeper to express his hatred of people who hold a particular belief when any Freeper is part of the belief group.
It is ok to express hatred towards CatholicISM on open Religion Forum threads. It is never ok to express hatred towards Catholics because some Freepers are Catholic.
It is ok to express hatred towards ProtestantISM on open Religion Forum threads. It is never ok to express hatred towards Protestants because some Freepers are Protestant.
It is ok to express hatred towards SatanISM and Satanists both because no Freeper is Satanist.
Some political posters are now venturing onto the Religion Forum probably because Romneys beliefs are at issue in this election.
If you do not wish to see RF posts, do NOT use the "everything" option on the Free Republic browse option list. Instead, browse by "News/Activism." When you log back in, the browse will reset to "everything" - so be sure to set it back to "News/Activism."
Finally, whereas posters may argue vigorously for and against beliefs on open Religion Forum threads it is never tolerable to use ad hominems in religious debate because they invariably lead to flame wars when the subject is ones deeply held religious beliefs.
For something to be "making it personal" it must be speaking to another Freeper, personally.
"Protestants are heretics" is not making it personal. "You are a heretic" is making it personal. "Catholics worship Mary" is not making it personal. "You worship Mary" is making it personal. "Mormons worship many gods" is not making it personal. "You worship many gods" is making it personal.
However, when a poster paints with a brush that accuses an entire religion of criminal behavior - his post will be pulled as flame bait. For example, posts that say "Protestants kill babies" or "Catholics molest children" or "Mormons kill non-Mormons" will be pulled. However, if the post is specific about a non-Freeper, I will not pull it. For example "Rev. Doe says abortion and infanticide are not sin" or "Father Doe was convicted for molesting those kids" or "Mormons killed non-Mormons at Mountain Meadows" would not be pulled.
Statements formed as questions are rarely "making it personal."
"Are you a heretic" is not making it personal. "You are a heretic" is making it personal.
Forms of "making it personal" include mind reading, attributing motive, accusing another Freeper of telling a lie (because it attributes motive, the intent to deceive) - making the thread "about" individual Freeper(s), following a Freeper from thread to thread and badgering a Freeper over-and-again with the same question.
When in doubt, avoid the use of the pronoun "you" and Freeper's names - or put yourself in the other guy's shoes.
Despite all these efforts to eliminate ad hominems, there is nothing I can do to keep you from "taking it personally."
If you keep getting your feelings hurt because other posters ridicule or disapprove or hate what you hold dear, then you are too thin-skinned to be involved in open RF debate. You should IGNORE open RF threads altogether and instead post to RF threads labeled prayer devotional caucus or ecumenical.
Strange; in another place; it appears that it is...
In your anger do not sin:
I guess Jesus was just so HAPPY to see the moneychangers in the temple that he accidently knocked their tables over!
Teachings are not a person. “Hate the sin, but love the sinner.” I know that is hard to do, but we are required to try.
You should take PRIDE in this.
We MORMONs are quite PROUD of the fact that our preachers don't get paid.
--MormonDude(Heck! Our church doesn't even support our MISSIONARIES! They have to get by on their own!)
ATTITUDES OF SUPERIORITY
1. Im Superior; I have a special gift of the holy Ghost -- you dont!
2. Im Superior; I have Gods true priesthood power -- you dont!
3. Im Superior; I can go in Gods secret Temple -- you cant!
4. Im Superior; Ive been Endowed with special Gifts and Knowledge -- youre just normal!
5. Im Superior; Ill have my family with me in heaven -- youll be with strangers!
6. Im Superior; Im becoming a God -- you arent!
7. Im Superior; My women know their place as servants of man and yours dont.
8. Im Superior; YOUR creeds are wrong because they come from man - mine comes from God (you can find each one printed in our Scriptures).
9. Im Superior; I dont HAVE a creed - Ive got 13 Articles of Faith.
10. I'm Superior; I have 4 "Bibles"-- the standard works (5 if you count the JST) -- you've only got one: in as far as it is translated correctly.
11. Im Superior; I can lie with impunity about such things as church membership, church growth, church doctrine, church history, church influence, etc. -- You cant.
12. Im Superior; I am right (everybody knows) when I say 'evangelical' Christians are lunatics --
-- Youre a hideous narrow-minded bigot, who is persecuting me by practicing discrimination by saying I'm not a Christian.
13. I'm Superior; I have a testimony about a prophet -- you don't.
14. I'm Superior; I have a Scripture-producing Amos 3:7 prophet -- you don't
15. Im Superior; I have a Living Prophet who talks to god every day -- you have a dim-witted hireling of Satan who only talks to himself.
16. I'm Superior; I have my calling & election made sure -- you don't.
17. Im Superior; I have magic underwear to protect me from the bogey man -- you dont.
18. Im Superior; I have secret clasps and grips to give the angel so I get admitted to the celestial kingdom -- you dont ;so you cant.
19. I'm Superior; I know secret handshake codes for afterlife entrances-- you don't.
20. Im Superior; I will see Joseph Smith setting on the right hand of GOD, when I get to Mormon heaven, and he will recognize me and judge me favorably -- Youre on your own; when you get to wherever youre going!
21. Im Superior; Im going to hie to Kolob -- youre going to who knows where.
22. Im Superior; I get to have a harem and act like a celestial stud for time and all eternity -- you dont.
23. Im Superior; I have sun stones, moon stones, sky stones, cloud stones, Saturn stones, and the evil eye of Osirus guarding my temple
-- You have nothing but a stupid cross.
24. Im Superior; My church has billions in assets stashed away -- yours has taken a stupid vow of poverty.
25. I'm Superior; Last - we have the power to keep a whole race out of our priesthood if we wanted to reinsert our 148-year legacy (we ARE still keeping an entire GENDER at bay!)
26. I'm superior; I have the "higher law" -- everyone else "lives under the "lesser law' because I say so...(over and over).
Semi-Official creed of the EXclusive club of Freeper Flying Inmans.
All rights liable to be abused.
Ask a pointed question: get a pointed answer example:
Jesus answered, The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.
1 John 3:21-24
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. The one who keeps Gods commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us.
See, that's an example of what goes wrong on the RF. I don't see that BB said that doctrine doesn't matter. And it's not pure evil (or of the devil) to think that. It's really rather realistic and his point is well made.
If our salvation depended on 100% correct doctrine, nobody would make it. NOBODY can claim to have 100% correct doctrine, because we are fallible, limited humans trying to understand the infinite mind of God with our puny human minds.
It ain't happening.
That said, there are those of us who don't believe that correct doctrine gets one into heaven.
Christianity is about a relationship with God, not getting our facts about Him correct.
I kind of doubt that many of the people, like the thief on the cross, had their doctrine down pat when they encountered Jesus and yet Jesus still told them they were saved (today you will be with me in paradise).
But people that hold to those 'teachings' tend to get REALLY upset when called on them.
THEY take it VERY 'personal'!
THIS sentence probably gave him that impression: Those things don't really matter though.
Where is that line? I can make the same assertion by "Protestants are heretics. You are a Protestant".
It hasn’t been the Mormon posters for the most part but a few Catholics and Protestants.
It is up to the listener (us) to keep the two separate — the idea and the living, breathing, human being.
I don't make the rules, but as a Christian I have a problem with that. It is offence against truth. The Koran has adoring chapters about Jesus, Mary, and St. John the Baptist. Islam is really a remnant of an obscure Christian Gnostic sect that got a second life because of writings of Mohammed and military success. I don't intend to argue back and forth, since it is not the right thread, but slandering our enemy "satanist" is not helpful to anyone.
Thank you for the fine job you do of herding us cats on the RF. I know it has to be a thankless job most days.
Doctrine is essential in order to evangelize, as we are commanded to do.
That those who have some uncertainty (large or small) about doctrine can obtain the promises of Christ is a given as God’s mercy is boundless.
I have not even hinted that one cannot know God in some beneficial way unless one knows everything about God - yet that is what you have concluded.
None of this supports BB’s preposterous claim that (paraphrased)
“we should not worry what falsehoods (erroneous doctrine) or truths (true doctrine) about God are being preached, because we just have to know God”.
What drivel it is to undermine the utter necessity of solid bedrock Gospel truth.
That God can work with us regardless of how little we know about Him is a wonderful thing, but how evil it is to encourage people to take so lightly the obligation we have to know as best as we can (which demands we seek truthful doctrine - not just any old doctrine).
We are invited to run a race - and running a race requires real effort, not a shoulder shrugging “whatever”.
Rodney was a thug. I don’t see anyone here in his mold.