Skip to comments.Shiny Turds!
Posted on 07/01/2012 11:07:11 AM PDT by Lazamataz
So many "conservative" pundits have been polishing the turd that emanated from the SCOTUS on Obamacare, that I thought I'd have a go at it.
Let us leave aside the notion that somehow this will energize the conservative base, and result in a thorough trouncing of all Democrats at the polls in November. After all, now that one of the fundamental tenets in the social contract between government and her citizens - that the government cannot force commerce -- has been shredded, how does it matter? Yes, our side may prevail, but can anyone guarentee that is a permanent condition? One election that favors Democrats, and all bets are off. Any behavior can be coerced, any product can be forced upon an unwilling public.
So let's look at some other 'silver linings'.
1) We need not think for ourselves any more. The government can make our purchasing decisions for us. After all, we have busy lives, and there are too many choices. No longer do we need to concern ourselves with decisions! Thanks, John Roberts!
2) Armed with the ability to force purchases, when it is clear what purchases will be mandated, we can invest in those companies! We will get quickly rich! Well, so long as we are permitted to purchase stocks. It's likely the government will make that choice for us, now. Thanks, John Roberts!
3) The Supreme Court has come firmly down on the side of heavyhanded government dictates. We will be amazingly successful, as a nation, with a Centralized Command Economy. No longer do we need to worry about the fluctuations of the market, the government will control all that for us! We will have the wonderful successes seen in Fascist Italy, the former Soviet Union, and Cuba. Oh, wait.... well, whatever. Thanks, John Roberts!
4) We can force people to buy all sorts of things! Burial insurance, liability insurance on a personal level, and slander/libel insurance if you wish to post your opinions on the internet! Now people can sue each other a lot more, and it is clear that we need to sharply control those opinions on the internet. Thanks, John Roberts!
5) FINALLY! The Commerce Clause has been limited. Well, okay, maybe a whole new justification for social control has been created -- the power to tax -- but, hey, the limiting of the Commerce Clause makes it so... that.. uhhh.... never mind. Whatever. Thanks, John Roberts!
Wait. Now that I reread what I have written, maybe there is no upside to this, The turd cannot be polished. This July 4th, I will mourn the country I lost.
Thanks, John Roberts!
That’s okay. We’ll handle it by the clean end.
A shiny turd is still a turd.
6. Now that Obamacare is law, the collapse of America should come more quickly. Then we finally get to wear those mohawks and hockey masks and run around the Wasteland looking for 'guzzoline'. Whoo hoo! Thanks John Roberts!
It’s a mixed bag. Not what either side would have wanted. Maybe that was the whole point of the decision.
Absolutely! Why, look at all the silver linings I detailed!
Absolutely! Why, look at all the silver linings I detailed!
“The Supreme Court has come firmly down on the side of heavyhanded government dictates. We will be amazingly successful, as a nation, with a Centralized Command Economy. No longer do we need to worry about the fluctuations of the market, the government will control all that for us! We will have the wonderful successes seen in Fascist Italy, the former Soviet Union, and Cuba. Oh, wait.... well, whatever. Thanks, John Roberts!”
Now,now! Mussolini did make the trains run on time. Don’t worry your head over things better determined by your betters. This whole freedom thing is overrated.
Thanks. It needed to be said.
I hope you are not surprised. The other turds that were shinned here were three Bush family members (if you don’t count Neil and granddad), McCain, the GOP, and Romney.
The SC is just 9 lawyers in robes. Nothing really special about them except for Thomas, Scalia, and Alito. The rest are all political hacks. Prohibition and some other things have been repealed. There aren’t enough jail cells to hold everyone who will oppose this kangaroo tax. Plus there are other cards in play such as secession. It is not the end but the beginning.
Maybe the turd can’t be polished, but that doesn’t mean I have to wallow in it & smear it all over myself.
What happened, happened. We need to quit looking back and look ahead to what we CAN do. Our founders could have taken one look at the legions of British troops & run the other way. They didn’t .... they took shots, one at a time from behind stone walls, trees, barns, etc. This ‘we’ve been screwed .... waaaahhhhh!’ is getting on my nerves more than what Roberts did on Thursday. Roberts wounded the country and the determination to shoot ourselves in the other foot by surrendering to the Left is ..... un-American. If we lose the country, it will be self-inflicted.
I know the reason for all the silver ling articles. It’s not to convince US that there is a silver lining. It’s to convince Roberts that he’s not completely hated by conservatives so that there’s a way back ‘home.’ If Roberts feels he’s hated by conservatives, he’ll just say “oh screw ‘em” and be like Souter, who doesn’t even pretend to care about the Constitution.
My truck is packed for the first state that actually starts serious secession proceedings.
If your bolded comment comes true -- and I will work for it as well -- then, and ONLY THEN, will I admit an ACTUAL 'silver lining'.
Like the Tea Tax that Britain imposed, if it turns out to be the same sort of revolution, then.... then they will be unhappy they got what they wanted.
Not unless it passes the taste test.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.