Skip to comments.'Furious' report slams 'disregard' for public safety as DOJ officials quit
Posted on 09/19/2012 3:52:42 PM PDT by neverdem
A bombshell report released Wednesday on Operation Fast and Furious faulted a range of federal agencies for the failed anti-gunrunning program and accused officials in charge of a "disregard" for public safety. In the wake of the report, one Justice Department official resigned and another retired.
The sprawling report by the department's inspector general is the most comprehensive account yet on the deadly operation which allowed weapons to "walk" across the U.S.-Mexico border and resulted in hundreds of firearms turning up at crime scenes in both countries.
The report says Attorney General Eric Holder was not made aware of potential flaws in the program until February of last year. But the report cites 14 other department employees -- including Criminal Division head Lanny Breuer -- for potential wrongdoing, recommending the department consider disciplinary action against them.
One congressional source told Fox News the report was "more brutal than was expected."
The report marked Jason Weinstein, the deputy assistant attorney general for the Criminal Division, as the highest-ranking DOJ employee in a position to stop the program. Weinstein, who disputes the findings, is resigning in the wake of...
B. Todd Jones, acting ATF director, said in a statement that the report was "rightfully critical" of ATF's handling of Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious.
"ATF accepts full responsibility for its failure to exercise proper leadership and oversight of these investigations. Combined with the lack of effective and accurate internal communication up and down the chain of command, our shortcomings led to a series of regrettable events," he said. Jones said the findings were referred to an internal office to determine whether "adverse actions" are warranted.
The inspector general is expected to testify on the findings on Capitol Hill Thursday morning.
Click to read the Fast and Furious report.
(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...
If their own IG ruled against them, then the reality is even more damning than the report suggests.
So when is Eric Holder’s uppance coming?
I would presume (but don't know for sure) that th IG did not have access to that material. Holder may still be facing some direct heat in days ahead.
This Weinstein guy probably doesn’t want to stand trial in Mexico for being complicit in the murder of 400+ government officials so I’d guess just as soon as he can write out his last will and testament, do a video, file it with a trusted outside private lawyer or judge, he’s going to take the big leap ~ and then the rest of them are in really big trouble.
I bet the MSM doesn’t ask Obama about this
Is this Jason related to that Elliott ~ from Boston?
Sounds like a white wash report replete with the obligatory political resignations (sacrifial lambs) ....
(Blame Bush, he did it first!)
PBS' Newshour just had their opening segment on the IG's report!
This ‘report’ is so flawed it is hardly worth the paper it took to print it out on.
GOD Forbid Holder should be implicated, because there’s only One stop above him he can dump the Blame on!
A bunch of underlings being allowed to slide out of the spotlight into cushy arranged jobs in the quango sector is far from what needs to be done here. There needs to be real prosecutions with real prison time. Holder is basically a mass murderer and needs to be held accountable.
It ought to be pretty easy to guess who’s on the December pardon list
Obama Slides Taliban Lawyer Into Top Spot At Justice Department Read more:
“Obama Slides Taliban Lawyer Into Top Spot At Justice Department: A lawyer who came to prominence for his full-throated defense of a subsequently convicted terrorist was quietly promoted to the No. 3 slot at the Department of Justice last month, a post that puts him in charge of the administrations policy regarding Guantanamo Bay detainees.”
Yeah. But it may take a few thousand pages to list them all.
Well, whoop-de-do. Some flunkies are thrown under the bus, and Holder is off the hook.
“The report says Attorney General Eric Holder was not made aware of potential flaws in the program until February of last year.”
So.....Holder announcing implementation, funding of the program in 2009 didn’t matter????
Sunday, July 10, 2011
Obama and Holder knew about Gunwalker! Funded by Stimulus!
YOUR TAX DOLLARS!
Stimulus funding of Gunrunner
HR 495 Southwest Border Violence Reduction Act of 2009
To authorize additional resources to identify and eliminate illicit sources of firearms smuggled into Mexico for use by violent drug trafficking organizations, and for other purposes.
1/14/2009—Introduced.Southwest Border Violence Reduction Act of 2009 - Directs the Attorney General to:
(1) to expand resources for the Project Gunrunner initiative of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to identify, investigate, and prosecute firearms trafficking across the U.S.- Mexico border; and
(2) provide ATF agents, equipment, and training to assist Mexican law enforcement officers in combating firearms trafficking and other criminal enterprises.
Holder knew. Imagine someone introducing a program under the name of Holder, and them not getting fired for it if he didn't initiate the process.
I've never seen a bigger bunch of liars in my life, as the Clinnton and Obama teams coupled with the DNCp.