Skip to comments.You Can't Call a Pretty Girl Pretty; What Kind of Country Are We Becoming?
Posted on 01/11/2013 1:19:12 AM PST by Kaslin
Before examining the ridiculous controversy stemming from Monday nights college football championship broadcast, let us stipulate that there are more urgent and scary ways to describe the current changes in America.
We are becoming a culture of dependency. We are becoming a neo-socialist experiment. We are becoming a dumbed-down nation unappreciative of its founders. We are losing touch with the Constitution and the very concept of liberty.
I do not argue that todays essay is our most pressing problem. But as scores of fine writers address the various angles of our republics dangle from a precarious thread, I thought Id venture to the periphery to lament another type of change which accrues to our societal detriment.
We are becoming a nation that caves to humorless, scolding bullies on matters of little or no consequence.
Not exactly a fiscal cliff or an Islamist-friendly CIA director, but a problem nonetheless.
If you didnt see it live, you surely have by now. The iconic Brent Musburger took a moment between plays to comment on the images from ESPN cameras dwelling on Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarrons girlfriend in the stands.
Turning to colleague Kirk Herbstreit, he playfully nudged: You quarterbacks, you get all the good looking women. What a beautiful woman. Wow!
Herbstreit, quarterback at Ohio State just over 20 years ago, added: A.J.s doing some things right down in Tuscaloosa.
Musburger then filled the remaining seconds before the next play: So if youre a youngster at Alabama, start getting the football out and throw it around with Pop.
Somewhere, a shriek rang out.
This is the only theory that can possibly lead to the sheer idiocy of ESPN apologizing for a completely innocent 30 seconds of broadcaster banter.
Somewhere, a phone rang. Or a hundred phones. An email, or a hundred emails, were sent. The sliver of America that found those moments offensive was going to get its pound of flesh.
Surely ESPN did not buckle on its own. Surely a network that will show you cheerleaders twenty times a game did not suddenly recoil in the production truck. No one wearing headphones said at the time, Oh, dang, that was terrible, we should apologize for that.
But the pathetic thing is, someone at ESPN may well have tensed up at the time-- not because the event was truly bad, but because every TV and radio operation knows that countless humorless scolders with empty lives stand poised to pounce on any turn of a word or phrase that jostles their fragile sensibilities.
Genuine offenses deserve genuine apologies. If Musburger had growled lasciviously about a wish to be 50 years younger while Herbstreit egged him on with his own prurient patter, Id be leading the call for displays of contrition.
But it is vital to understand that neither Ms. Webb nor her parents nor her national champion boyfriend were offended in the least.
But if a needed apology undelivered is an etiquette violation, it is an outright attack on our social order to make-- and tolerate-- demands for apology that are wholly without basis.
A culture filled with contrived offense erodes our measurements of which affronts are deserving of actual repentance. And the heartfelt regret of actual transgressors is devalued when surrounded by the din of phony apologies offered merely to stem a wave of phone calls and emails from troublemakers with time on their hands.
But if there is anything worse than an unnecessary apology crafted to reduce heat, it is an apology of that type that seeks to hose the public in the process.
We always try to capture interesting storylines and the relationship between an Auburn grad who is Miss Alabama and the current Alabama quarterback certainly met that test, said the ESPN statement.
Sure, guys, its all about her being from Auburn. Please.
If Katherine Webb were somewhat plain, she would not have been on camera as much. Conversely, blessed as she is, she would have been on camera as much if her degree were from Delaware State.
The statement went on to express regret that the commentary went too far and Brent understands that.
I hope not. I hope Brent thinks this whole thing is as stupid as it actually is.
If ESPNs phone lines did indeed blow up with outraged viewers the moment Musburger and Herbstreit finished calling a pretty girl pretty, I would have wanted a very different statement from the network:
ESPN welcomes input from all viewers on the commentary of our announcers. However, after reviewing the words spoken in this instance, we find that the only occurrence was a compliment to Ms. Webb and accompanying upbeat banter that also related to her in a completely positive way.
We note, and recommend that others do as well, that no one involved was offended, and as such, we see no reason whatsoever for an apology from Brent or anyone else.
We should always be vigilant about broadcast comments that truly hurt or offend people. But the flip side of that responsibility coin is to stand guard against contrived offense meant to stoke political fires, in this case, perhaps a feminist agenda that it is somehow inappropriate to observe that a beautiful young lady is a beautiful young lady.
Is this a case of stereotype, perpetuating some notion that the quarterback will always get the pretty girl, or that having a plainer girlfriend is somehow a lesser blessing?
Just asking that question takes the whole matter into the muddled world of overanalysis. Some people need to learn to let a compliment be a compliment, and in a sports broadcast booth, if there is no harm done, to let guys be guys.
I was thinking they might be related, does she have a younger brother or nephew who was with her at the game? Some vague resemblance there, imho.
Is that really a woman? I have my doubts.
It’s a tranny.
I’ll bet the one on the left has a staff, too.
It's someone caught in the deception of sin.
20. Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous
21. that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
4. Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom--both young and old--surrounded the house.
5. They called to Lot, "Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them."
6. Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him
7. and said, "No, my friends. Don't do this wicked thing.
Isaiah 3:9 The look on their faces testifies against them; they parade their sin like Sodom; they do not hide it. Woe to them! They have brought disaster upon themselves.
2 Peter 2:13b Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
49. "`Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
50. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
1. But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them--bringing swift destruction on themselves.
2. Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
3. In their greed these teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.
4. For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment;
5. if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;
6. if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly;
7. and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men
8. (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)--
9. if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.
10. This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the sinful nature and despise authority. Bold and arrogant, these men are not afraid to slander celestial beings;
11. yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not bring slanderous accusations against such beings in the presence of the Lord.
12. But these men blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will perish.
13. They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.
But there IS hope!!!
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9. Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:
Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders
10. nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
If you could NOT change, you would be in most pitiful shape...
Mudburger was just admiring the hottie Miss Webb. People need to relax....his comments were not offensive. And, Miss Webb seems to be fine with the nice comments. Lets move on
I strongly suspect that the creature with the big puffy hair is not female. The other creature’s “staff” credential looks like a rainbow ‘fag-flag’.
Yesterday there were a series of announcements made by various Massachusetts politicos....... all women. All obviously liberal, ugly women.
The ugly liberals hate being discriminated against.
Beauty might be only skin deep but ugly goes down to the bone
Yeah, that makes sense, though I have known genuine women that were that ugly and trashy looking.
Yeah, I guess the liberals feel that Brent Musburger has a hell of a nerve encouraging young boys to take an interest in women instead of other boys.
Pretty soon it will be against the law to let a woman pass and then look back to check out her caboose.
When that happens I will just turn myself in at the nearest police station, and check out the backside of the Dyke cop as she locks me up.
I agree, as long as Brent wasn’t coveting.
“Pretty soon it will be against the law to let a woman pass and then look back to check out her caboose.”
“I love the women’s movement, especially when viewed from behind.” Rush H. Limbaugh III
Rush has said the left is after football. I believe him. Musburger advised kids to take up football to get girls! Thats the real outrage. How can they convince the little darlings to not play with that visual going unchallenged?
Its ALWAYS the violation of the narrative that gets them going....
Looks like Miss Planet of the ——!
The Left can't stand the thought that somewhere, someone is enjoying life.
Usually I am immune to this
But those comments were way out of place
in the BCS Bowl Broadcast, on National TV
I cringed when I heard them.
The left hates it when men act like men. They would rather have men act like castrated wimps.