Skip to comments.OBAMA'S 23 EXECUTIVE ACTIONS ON GUNS
Posted on 01/16/2013 9:16:55 AM PST by JesseWatters
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
(Excerpt) Read more at nation.foxnews.com ...
On second thought, I think I’m going to be sick.
I am wondering if this will be come to know "ask and don't tell."
I suspect that he counted votes and figured he had danced so far out on the plank that he had to do something and this is the best he could do at saving face.
I do agree that the HIPPA stuff could be a really backdoor way of identifying gun owners and putting them on special lists and asking them questions that if answered wrong could allow them to be labeled as mentally unfit to own firearms. A slippery slope.
One point everyone needs to consider on both Obamcare and any executive order - any. Obama is president for only so long. The day he leaves office is the day every single EO can be eliminated. In addition, Obama will be a very lame duck in about two years and NOTHING of his will pass after the 2014 elections.
Personally, I prefer "ubiquitous".
“School resource officers”? My guess is obama views that as more school staff (and money to NEA) not police officers.
and failure to answer the dr’s gun question what’s going to happen????
Here is the list with my comments added
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. (Umm arent they already supposed to do this?)
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. (OOPS we forgot to read the bill and see if it contained anything protecting gun rights before we passed it silly Liberals)
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. (Which will summarily be ignored by most states)
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. (Categories like CHRISTIAN, REPUBLICAN, CONSERVATIVE, AMERICAN you know crazy people)
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. (Which will be summarily ignored by all dealer or am I repeating myself again. )
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. (Yes, lets train those gun owners and ignore the criminals!! Thatll work!)
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. (Well yes, it is usually smart to release reports if you want people to see them! But, do we really need an executive order to do this?)
11. Nominate an ATF director. (So now the President needs to issue an executive order to make himself do his own frigging job???)
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. (WHAT AN EPIPHANY!!! Lets get doctors to research something that is supposed to be the job of LAW ENFORCEMENT!)
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. (Another report, and another challenge!!! And we need an executive order to do this?)
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. (which patients will summarily ignore and tell their doctors where to stick their questions. I will also tell my doctor to kiss my backside as I walk out never to return.)
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. (OOOO another letter and probably very sternly worded too!!!!)
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. (ummmm, maybe HIRING SECURITY GUARDS WITH ACTUAL FIREARMS would be a better idea.)
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. (Umm Arent they supposed to do this already??? Or am I repeating myself)
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. (And yet ANOTHER sternly worded letter!! What brilliance!)
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. (wow another stroke of brilliance, lets actually FINALIZE regulations before we issue them!)
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. (wow another stroke of brilliance, lets actually FINALIZE regulations before we issue them! Or am I repeating myself again)
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health. (ooo a National Dialogue! Thatll scare those evil criminals!!!)
If the doctor asks me if I have any guns, I will give an honest answer by shaking my head, which, as everyone knows, means “yes” in Botswana.
Let me preface my post :
I want NO MORE laws infringing on our rights; use what we have -on the books already- to protect, and REPEAL the ones that infringe.
Reference to pierrem15’s post:
pierrem15 wrote :
“1) The ATF will announce that gun-show organizers are considered to be firearms dealers and all firearms sold at gun shows must have a background check performed.
2) The ATF will announce that all sales of firearms are considered transactions covered by the Gun Control Act.”
My questions to all,
1) under what authority (ESTABLISHED LAW) could this be done?
2) What CURRENT things can a private seller use to ensure they aren’t selling to a nutcase or felon that come under the CURRENT categories of prohibited possessors.
..nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;..
Even if only for a day (which many places will drag feet for months or years if given the option) then this provision is prima facia un-constitutional
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
problem is that the law does say
LIMITATION ON DATA COLLECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR INDIVIDUALS- No individual shall be required to disclose any information under any data collection activity authorized under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or an amendment made by that Act relating to`(A) the lawful ownership or possession of a firearm or ammunition; or`(B) the lawful use, possession, or storage of a firearm or ammunition
So he wants to say doctors CAN ask (and they can) and imply that we must answer (we don't) BLACK letter law.
It could go further as well. There are many commonly prescribed non narcotic medications for long term pain treatment that list possible side effects such as “could cause psychotic episodes”. Many people that take these medications don’t even realize this possible side effect. Will people on medications such as these also be flagged as disqualified from gun ownership?
Just as with abortion, what we say and what we do are not necessarily the same thing.
How 'rare' did they make abortion?
Sounds like a lot of bluster. You know,like something Biden would put together.
Looks like Bammy does not want to get impeached...yet.
Now we have to make Congress understand, especially the Pubs in the House: NO MORE GUN LEGISLATION.
If anything, we should go on the offensive and demand changes /repeal to the NFA 1934 and The GCA 1968.
Two can play the brinkmanship game.
Step 1: meet with your lawyer and set up a gun trust (either title 1 or title 2 NFA)
2: put all of your firearms on a schedule A or B within the trust.
3: When doc or any agent of the state ask if you own guns, legally and ethically you can say, "My wife and I do not personally own firearms". ( because the property is a trust asset)
OK, now you have me worried. That statement means we must have missed something. Gotta go back for another look.
You aren’t alone.
So let’s review, Obamacare is being used to override the 2nd Amendment. Sure, that makes sense.
Glad he isn’t interfering in the relationship between patient and doctor. /s
Once they go through the medical records with the doctor's help, they can learn if a patient/ the citizen is on any medications. Have the doctor (government doctor coming soon to replaced by the ones who will be leaving by the hundreds of thousands), (can't you see the goal) to put in your report, that you are unstable. People are foolish to think this was a BS show. He means to wipe away our rights and centralize his government. This is very dangerous. The liberty loving people up in Washington need to come together to begin impeachment. Every clear thinker on radio should be calling for this due to his abuse of power. It's here; it's time. Write/fax and call all of your representatives. This is nothing more than a centralized government/his steps to take away our rights.