Skip to comments.Obama's 23 Executive Gun Control Actions (Here's the list for the high information voter)
Posted on 01/16/2013 10:46:25 AM PST by SeekAndFind
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
school resource officer === TSA? I was thinking the same thing.
Either the rogue regime blinked freaked out by arms, ammo, revolution trembles or something else planned. Why are RINOS so quiet? Maybe letting Barry and bros/hos make fools of themselves, so why intrude..
On the surface, in 8 out of 23 “orders” healthcare is involved or mentioned. As suspected Obamacare will be the Trojan horse for bypassing congress as well as the constitution.
Who needs an assualt riffle
I hope you didn't send this to me because you thought I was one of the "Romney's a Commie" crowd.Romney surely wasn't my first choice...or my second.But having lived in Massachusetts all my life and having kept a close eye on state politics for 30+ years I,better than most here perhaps,know that while he's certainly no Reagan or Palin he's *certainly* no Obama,Reid,Pelosi,Ayers,Alinsky or Wright either.
Ok, now that our genius government Overseers have spoken ...time to move along and let the AMERICAN PEOPLE come up with logical, realistic, EFFECTIVE solutions.
IMO, the ONLY solution here, there, or anywhere, are armed guards at the front doors of the schools, as well as in movie theaters or any other major public venue. Jerkface is proposing a $500 million dollar “proposal” here ....oh, yet the libs say we don’t have enough money to arm the schools.
That and universal open carry laws would do the trick. That’s IT.
Does look like much to complain about to me. It’s surprising how often “Obamacare” (Health Care) is noted, but no real changes.
from my point of view the things that government (at any level) needs to do more of or do more effectively have to do with moving the pendulum back a bit in the area of involuntary committment for mental health evaluation, confinement and mandatory treatment and less to do with guns themselves
given the number of guns of all kinds legally possessed now, if simply owning guns was the real problem the entire country would look like Chicago during the height of the gangsters like Al Capone
the country does not look like that because mere possession of guns is not the real problem
Where’s the executive order telling Eric Holder that he can’t sell guns to Mexican drug dealers anymore?
I hear you!
A friend in NY state sent me this list earlier this morning.
After looking through it, my response was the same as yours. That is, pretty much designed for “show”, not much “go”.
I’m going to -guess- that both Biden’s committee and Obama himself have gotten wind of the opposition to their putsch. Particulary with the reactions from the red states, including the proposed legislation in Wyoming, the letter to Biden from that sheriff out in Oregon, probably more. Perhaps they sense the possiblity of “unintended consequences” from any attempt to end-run the Constitution by way of “executive action”.
I don’t think they expected the forceful response from the states — even up to the gubernatorial level — that they have seen.
I’ll guess that they figure their only chance is to push for all they can get in the Congress, and let it go at that.
I don’t expect the Republicans to prevail as a unified oppostion in the Senate. However, I think conservatives have a better chance with the Pubbies in the House. We can only hope.
“While much is fluff, the trick here in some of them is finding new ways to disqualify people from owning firearms, via your doctor.”
That’s what I took from the whole thing. Watch for background checks and refusals start to become commonplace with law abiding citizens. I don’t like “incentives” in there. And incorporating the medical field into making casual inquiries into your ownership of a firearm or not is right out of the twilight zone.
Enough of the SPAM!!!
Re #14 and the Center for Disease Control and mental illness.
I have a suggestion:
If Obama and his staff are mentally ill in refusing to obey the law and uphold the Constitution, then the White House is an Insane Asylum and the Oval Office is “Crazy Central”.
Agreed. And I do feel that if a doctor KNOWS a parent of a mentally ill individual, or any family members of such a person, that it’s OK to have the “discussion” about guns and the BEST plan or consideration of gun safety while at the same time giving 100% consideration to their 2nd amendment rights — (or REFER them to someone who can help them) ...perfectly ok. Just not ok to “report” the family or confiscate their weapons. I know from experience that families do get busy, things can get overlooked and accidents can happen.
I hope to be an NP soon. This will be my approach. However, I doubt it will do much good or catch the ones who are really planning in their own evil hearts, to do such a deed. Will not stop those who are suffering an acute depression either — really doubt it.
There ARE such things as fingerprint technology on gun safes. I would think this would be highly effective. If there are any others, I’d love to learn more.
I do agree we need to get the seriously mentally ill off the streets and in a safe environment.
Even the thing he does that seem some what docile or benign are done to test the waters for bigger stuff to follow. His little exec orders that Milquetoast mouth pieces like Cristol, O Reilly and Rove don’t mind are just to warm people up to the idea of a president making his own rules as he sees fit.
Get bent, noob.
>>16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit >>doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
>>OF**Kwad is a LIAR ~
Technically not. The statute only says they can’t REQUIRE doctors to ask. There is no language PROHIBITING doctors from asking. There is also no language PROHIBITING Americans from telling doctors to perform anatomically impossible tasks if they do ask.
Amen, nothing to see here.
Had a Female California transplant tell the clerk at a convenience store that guns should be banned and turned to me and asked if I agreed. I politely said “No, ma’am” and she asked me if I was I “gun nut”.
I just smiled and said “You have no idea”.
She walked away muttering something about “rednecks” and I muttered something about “granola (fruits, flakes, and nuts)
Yeah, like spending the money to hire your local home improvement contractor to do the needed work on your house.
This is normally our slowest time of the year, but the last six to eight weeks have been the slowest I've seen in ages. Thank God the phone is finally starting to ring again.