Skip to comments.Obama's 23 Executive Gun Control Actions (Here's the list for the high information voter)
Posted on 01/16/2013 10:46:25 AM PST by SeekAndFind
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
“DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!”
I spotted a bunch of extremely bad things in there, that were followups to gun control dirty tricks of the last 20 years. By the numbers:
1) Require federal agencies to use their numerous citizen databases to compile a *raw* national citizen dossier. Even the FBI’s *raw* files are farcical, containing rumors, speculation, and any number of lies. They would never use their raw files for any purpose, until the data had been verified. Other federal agencies have no such limitations.
2) “Oh, sure, there are *privacy protections* in HIPPA to protect citizens from government snooping at multiple levels.” Guess what? Your medical records are now public domain.
4) “Dangerous people who should not have guns including gun owners, veterans, and most especially Tea Party members.”
6) Why tell licensed dealers how to conduct background checks on peoples’ private gun sales, of which the dealer has no part? This assumes it will now be illegal to privately sell guns without a background check by a licensed dealer.
14) The CDC already created a ludicrous report about how good gun control would be, which was shot down by a previous congress, telling them to keep their political opinions to themselves. The CDC, realizing where the wind was blowing did another study that showed gun control laws were ineffective. Obama wants to change them back to being anti-gun.
16) The American Pediatric Association demanded that pediatricians in Florida ask parents about guns in their homes. If they refused, the pediatrician could refuse them service. If they said they had guns, it would be noted in their child’s medical record. See #2 above, allowing the government to examine anyone’s medical records. Florida passed a law saying that pediatricians couldn’t do this, but it was overturned by a judge.
Vanity of vanities. Does anyone think it’s time for a million man gun march on DC? Not to overthrow or do violence, but to really show DC we are tired of the progressive views that are destroying our great country. Maybe that would instill the fear of God in our illustrious representatives, I don’t know. The second amendment is not for hunting rights but was written to prevent the tyranny that seems to be rapidly forced down our throats. I agree with Glenn Beck...it has to be done as Ghandi or as Jesus....a quiet show of force. No malicious intent, no shooting up the place since that would bring derision from the left.
I don’t know if our reps would even listen...I’m sure most would all leave town on the day of the march. Hard to say if it would make a difference, one could only hope.
For instance, let’s say I’m your doc, and I say to you, “Hey, I went target shooting this weekend. Did pretty good, blah blah blah, so whaddaya think of that Obama’s EO doing __________?” and then you reply, “F*****g Obama! The man’s a dictator out to destroy the USA!” and I’m like, “Yeah, ain’t that the truth” and then I mark you down as a paranoid personality likely to cause harm to yourself and others.
And that’s that.
He can spin it any way he wants as the left and the media (I repeat myself) did for Clinton, but the history would show that the first black president was impeached. He won't have that.
He'll wait until he's sure that the House will cave on it.
This probably wasn’t plan A. He probably chickened out like the coward he is.
Now you did it. Too late. You are finished.
Outside of the intrusive information sharing amongst government agencies and establishing this meaningless commission or that effort, it’s pretty impotent with respect
to actually banning anything. His EO powers, while powerful in some respects for rules, regs, guidelines his agencies have to follow, they REQUIRE some basis in established law to be completely restrictive.
He is gonna have to get Congress to enact the rest, and this is what’s gonna be my litmus test for my Congressman - he votes against anything Obama wants on this or I swear I’ll buy (along with likeminded constituents) his seat for his opponent in 2014, if I have to.
5 of the 23 are directly associated with Obamacare. That is 22% ! But, Obamacare would NEVER be used to push a political agenda....right.....
What a crock.
I predict the gun-control wackos are not going to be pleased.—
I thought the same thing on initial read. I guess we shall read. It could have been much worse.
I am quite shocked at how milquetoast the "Executive orders" are. Technically they are merely directives and not orders at all. I'm wondering if he wasn't scared off by the possible negative impact of some actual gun grabbing order.
This was all Kabuki Theater with the Children as props. "Look what I'm doing for the Children" and when you look at it closely, he didn't do anything.
The good thing is that this is all smoke and mirrors. The bad thing is that this was all smoke and mirrors.
He's going after our guns one way or the other. Tyrants can't operate where the citizenry is armed. If he is going to destroy this country he will need to take the weapons out of the hands of patriots. That is his goal.
Depending on where you live.....#5 is the scariest.....because in Gun Control Nazi states and cities....the police will create every excuse to not give back your gun
Also....will the PhonyCons in the GOP and GOP Media have the testis and ovaries to actually counter and his gun seizure....or will they go spineless like they did on Obama Eligibility?
Uhhhm, just trying to fill space, Obama??? I don't think you need to use executive order power to nominate an ATF director, I'm pretty sure as President you have the authority to submit a nomination to the Senate.
Something to look good in the media
And for all this hoot ‘n holler, this pansy list is all El Bozo could come up with?Guess Dingy Harry told him an assault weapons ban had no chance of passing the Senate.
And with the tens of millions of dollars in gun sales in the last month, spending on regular stuff will be way down in the next retail sales reports. There are unintended consequences for everything the stupid Democrats do.
People.. These are just bullet (lol) points of what the EO's are about. Dont be so quick to say "oh thats it?" or the like. For example, the above EO can mean (in the meat of the EO) that these "incentives" are spelled out as registry or whatnot.
Just sayin... We need to see the whole.
“Your medical records are now public domain.”
I agree! Now, remember that Roe v Wade was a decision respecting the establishment of “privacy” between a doctor and patient. With Obamacare, and now re-affirmed with an EO, Obama has overturned the “privacy” between a patient and doctor that was established in Roe!
Obama, and his leftard enablers, have done exactly what they accused Romney of desiring!
Yes, they are idiots and morons, but I say we use their accomplishments to our advantage, “if it saves just one child” it is worth outlawing abortion!
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.