Skip to comments.Obama's 23 Executive Gun Control Actions (Here's the list for the high information voter)
Posted on 01/16/2013 10:46:25 AM PST by SeekAndFind
The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.
He bought time & we got some, too, in the bargain. Good enough for today.
Forewarned is forearmed, no pun intended.
Is this Wednesday or the Friday Silliness Thread?
There's so much stupid shat in this, it's hard to tell.
So will Walmart start selling ammo again?
“What is a school resource officer??”
Frequently an off duty cop or other person qualified to provide security.
Usually they are armed.
Exactly. The devil is in the details. We don’t know what any of this actually means yet.
Correct me if i am wrong, but none of these would have prevented the Newtown massacre.
These actions are a result in the belief that there is a pandemic of people with assault weapons shooting up people.
...which is not true.
Where is the $500 million dollars going to come from to pay for these suggestions?
I’d wondered if this would be a defusing move: let the opposition whip themselves into an embarrassing frenzy, then announce nothing controversial.
New EOs can be issued any time.
And AWB2 is well on its way to Congress.
Crapped their undies, more likely. This is a big nothing, at least short term. I do worry about the mental health and privacy stuff - we STILL don't know everything in Obamacare - but that's going to take them plenty of time to take care of...CDC studies and all. Meanwhile, bigger issues will present themselves, like the country being broke. I don't think that the Dems or the Pubbies have forgotten 1994 or 2000 yet - when gun owners took Dems to the cleaners and promoted Algore to ex-Veep and High Priest of Gaia.
Number 5 concernms me.
If anyone lives in a disaster area, then the police can confiscate first in the ANTICIPATION that once confiscated it will be impossible to have it returned.
Essentially taking without compensation.
Guilty until proven innocent.
Lapierre already proposed something better than that, i.e., put armed officers in every school. Of course that wasn't acceptable to the gun Nazis because it wouldn't do any harm to our RKBA. Not only that, it would probably be successful which is the last thing the antis want. They're willing to sacrifice our children if that's what it takes to get a total gun ban.
Low information voter:
-obama money to pay our rent!
-MSM: free booze!!!!!!
Nothing on that list will keep guns out of the hands of our feral population.
Should work well in Fast & Furious
If my doc ever asks, I will take a page from the military, “I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of firearms in my resides or possession.”
Huh? WTH does health exchanges under Obamacare have to do with guns?
Some nurse practitioner thinks your "weird", no gun.
I was never a Romney fan, but what happened today would ABSOLUTELY NOT happen under a Romney administration.
And the Marxist hasn't even been inaugurated into his second term yet. We're in for a helluva ride over the next four years...
Got 300 rounds of 9mm and 150 380 today. They were out of 22 value packs in 2 stores. First time I've seen that.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.