Skip to comments.Utah Sheriffs take stance on gun control
Posted on 01/20/2013 7:42:31 PM PST by glock rocks
The Utah Sheriffs' Association has written a strongly worded letter to President Obama on the issue of gun control. Even though the president's executive orders and suggested legislation don't mention confiscating firearms, the sheriffs seem to anticipate such a move. Part of the letter reads, "No federal official will be permitted to descend upon our constituents and take from them what the Bill of Rightsin particular Amendment IIhas given them." The Sheriffs in 28 of 29 Utah counties have signed the letter, with Jim Winder of Salt Lake County being the only Sheriff not to join in.
While I thank this honorable Sheriff for his support, he needs to realize that the Constitution “gives” us nothing.
In summary, F*** you Joe Biden and Barack Obama.
If you read the comments, more sheriffs have been added.
No cigar, Lurker.
Making note: ask Yamhill county Oregon’s Sheriff will follow suit.
My sheriff’s letter:
Sheriff Gilbertson’s Letter
January 15, 2013
Vice President Joe Biden
1600 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W.
Washington, DC 20501
Dear Mr. Vice President,
As the elected Sheriff of this County, I am saddled with the duty, as well as responsibility, to uphold the Constitution and protect those people who placed their trust in me to do what is right.
I believe in our Constitution and all it stands for. We, you and I, are sworn to protect and defend our Constitution as required through the Oath of Office. This same Constitutional form of government provided us with the most privileged, and envied, country in world history.
Someone once said our country would collapse from within, without a shot being fired. No nation in the world can do more damage to the United States than we can inflict upon ourselves. We are keenly aware of just that by the accelerated pace in which our central (federal) government is usurping the Constitution. This lends itself to a much broader discussion, but for brevity sake I remain focused upon the Second, and Tenth Amendment issues.
It is so typical of the big brother mentality to punish the masses, for the heinous crimes committed by a few despicable individuals.
The Constitution, and Bill of Rights, guarantees liberties to the people. These documents, as you know, cannot be whisked to the side by regulation or executive order. According to these documents, the Executive and Judicial branches were to have NO lawmaking powers. The question then becomes how is it executive orders can be enforced as if they were laws?
As such, any rule, regulation, or executive order repugnant to the constitutional rights of the citizens of this County will be ignored by this Office, nor will this office, or the citizens, allow enforcement of unconstitutional activities by federal officers.
We refuse to participate, or allow our law-abiding citizens to be criminalized through constitutionally repugnant actions by misguided intentions or politicians.
WOW! The left has known for a hundred years that the key to destroying America is to get hold of the Supreme Court. Now they might start realizing that the real key to destroying America is to get control of the Sheriff’s. Well, give them two hundred years and they will.
Here’s the current list from the link, maybe more in the comments as noted above.
1. Jackson County, Kentucky Sheriff Denny Peyman
2. Linn County, Oregon Sheriff Tim Mueller
3. Madison County, Idaho Sheriff Roy Klingler
4. Crook County, Oregon Sheriff Jim Hensley
5. Douglas County, Oregon Sheriff John Hanlin
6. Curry County, Oregon Sheriff John Bishop
7. Livingston County, Missouri Sheriff Steve Cox
8. Smith County, Texas Sheriff Larry Smith
9. Josephine County, Sheriff Gil Gilbertson
10. Madison Count, Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning
11. Larimer County, Colorado Sheriff Justin Smith
12. Charleston County, South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon
13. Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
14. Houston County, Alabama Sheriff Andy Hughes
15. Gilmer County, Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
16. Pine County, Minnesota Sheriff Robin Cole
17. Grant County, Oregon, Sheriff Glenn Palmer
18. Coos County, Oregon Sheriff Craig Zanni
19. Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Charles Heiss
20. Martin County, Florida Sheriff Bill Snyder
21. Siskiyou County, Califorhia Sheriff Jon Lopey
22. Humboldt County, Nevada Sheriff Ed Kilgpore
23. Stanislaus County, California Sheriff Adam Christianson
24. Grant County, Oregon Sheriff Glenn Palmer
25. Lawrence County, Missouri Sheriff Bard DeLay
26. Shasta County, California Sheriff Tom Bosenko
27. El Dorado County, California Sheriff John DAgostini
28. Tehama County, California Sheriff David Hencraft
29. Lassen County, California Sheriff Dean Growden
30. Del Norte County, California Sheriff Dean Wilson
31. Modoc County, California Sheriff Mike Poindexter
32. Mendocino County, California Sheriff Thomas Allman
33. Plumas County, California Sheriff Greg Hagwood
34. Humboldt County, California Sheriff Mike Downey
35. Smith County, Texas Sheriff Larry Smith
36. Madison County Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning
37. Charleston County South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon
38. Morgan County Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
39. Houston County Alabama Sheriff Andy Hughes
40. Gilmer County Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
41 Canyon County Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue
42. Fresno County, California Sheriff Margaret Mims
43. Washington County, Oregon Sheriff Pat Garrett
44. Multnomah County, Washington Sheriff Dan Staton
45. Yavapai County, Arizona Sheriff Scott Mascher
46. Boone County, Kentucky Sheriff Micahel A. Helmig,
47. Clermont County, Ohio Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg
48. Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin
49. Maricopa County, Ariznona Sheriff Joe Arpaio
50. El Paso County, Colorado Sheriff Terry Maketa
51. Weld County, Colorado Sheriff John Cooke
52. Oconee County, Georgia Sheriff Scott Berry
53. Gilmer County, Sheriff Stacy Nicholson
54. Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Frank Denning
55. Mesa County Colorado Sheriff Stan Hilke
56. Collin County Texas Sheriff Terry Box
57. Spartanburg County, South Carolina Sheriff Chuck Wright
58. Mesa County, Colorado Sheriff Stan Hilkey
New Mexico, 30 of the states 33 county Sheriffs will not enforce Federal Laws that violate the Constitution.
Resistance is not futile!
Added - “Open self-storage chain in Utah” to the to-do list.
People sowing defeatism make me very angry. WHen I had more time to be on FR I’d hassle ‘em whenever I saw them, if I could.
That’s why I like my tagline.
Added: remain in Utah, but shitcan 'Winder's reelection' on my to-do list.
Here is originating link with letters and list having now grown to 60+
Looks like it may have some legs.
The Constitution establishes a Federal Government and limits it's powers. That's the main thing it does.
Some folks complained and wanted a Bill of Rights.
It was debated because why say the government can't do what the Constitution doesn't give it the power to do.
The Constitution doesn't grant any rights. It acknowledges that there are some pre-existing, God-given rights.
It also says that just because some are listed, doesn't limit the rights to those listed.
The Constitution creates the FedGov, and describes it's limits.
That's all it does.
Hit the phones people! We can maybe do this on the local level!!
Then go buy more ammo.
A lot of people wrote to Hitler in the early days, to no avail.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.