Skip to comments.Safety Experts Raise Concern Over Popular Laundry Packs
Posted on 11/19/2013 7:25:36 AM PST by NautiNurseEdited on 11/19/2013 7:34:03 AM PST by Admin Moderator. [history]
The culprit: single-dose detergent capsules that can have a candy-like appearance. In the past year, they were involved in roughly 10,000 cases of exposure involving young children...
Three years ago, officials at an Italian poison-control center in Milan contacted P&G to report that children were biting into small packets of a P&G concentrated liquid detergent called Dash Ecodosi. The Milan officials advised P&G to make the capsules' packaging opaque and harder to open, said Fabrizio Sesana, a toxicologist at the Milan poison center.
(Excerpt) Read more at online.wsj.com ...
They aren't purchased because they are pretty, it's because they are convenient and easy to use. If they have children then they need to keep the laundry detergent away from soap loving kids.
When adults leave “pretty” chemicals laying around where their children can ingest them, and then leave the children unsupervised, bad things happen.
It’s hardly the fault of the manufacturer.
Pretty ?? Pretty easy, actually. No measuring, no pouring. Just throw a pack in with the wash.
Adults failing to keep chemicals out of the reach of children is NOT the problem of the manufacturer.
How toxic is a mouthful of nasty-tasting detergent?
These packs are useful for older children to be able to start a load. The measuring part doesn’t usually go to well...
What ever happened to parents being RESPONSIBLE? Hello! The children being affected by this are very young children... Last I checked, it was advised that household chemicals be stored where small children cannot get to them.
It makes me wonder if these parents also leave open containers of bleach, rat poison, and ammonia just laying around for their children to play with.
Yes, I wonder why there seems to be a need to add those bright colors to the detergents in those “pods”... and it is to catch customer eyes. BUT - that does not remove all responsibility for parents to be PARENTS...
“The Milan officials advised P&G to make the capsules’ packaging opaque and harder to open...”
Alternatively, someone might remind parents that what goes on in the home is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.
LOL--adults and children are attracted to bright shiny objects. If the pretty colors didn't sell the product, the manufacturers could save a lot of money by omitting the dyes.
Easy and convenient? As though a scoop is a time consuming and difficult task. Please. You aren't fooling anyone but yourself.
Probably not too horrible if the child’s mouth can be rinsed out fairly soon (assuming the experience doesn’t send him to the faucet quickly to do just that himself). Some minor chemical burns and irritation from the sodium carbonate and enzymes. It’s unlikely to have lasting ill effects.
“Keep out of reach of children” is doubtless on these packages.
Depends on kind of washing machine too. Front loaders do will with detergents that are poured. For top loaders, a toss-in tablet will work fine. It’s less mess.
There was a time when a liquid detergent was packaged in a container that looked like a milk container.
In the US, it's the automatic dishwasher detergent "packaged measures" that are the problem with being attractive for children, not to mention more convenient to be kept under the sink.
An advertising guy told me that when dishwasher detergents went to a thick liquid, manufacturers had problems with consumers managing to eject the stuff into their eyes. Eject as in dropping or placing the open jug down hard, and the container "burping" a blob straight up as they were leaning over it.
Not saying it NEVER happens. I said unlikely. There are so many factors with small children. Might have been a delayed allergic reaction. And there’s always the mysterious SIDS. I had a weird allergy when young that never recurred when I was older. Kentucky mints supposedly made my chest break out in a rash, yet they never did so again and I kept wondering why my mom was so uptight about my eating them. It says in that article it is the first time such a lethal event was known to have happened in North America and these products have been around a while.
Tragic — we lament even one death — but sensible precautions to protect children don’t require dulling down an adult world.
Don't tell Bloomberg.
I bought a pack to take on vacation this summer. I thought they were great! Just throw one in the washer, no muss, no fuss.
And much cheaper than buyer detergent from the vending machine in the hotel laundry.
When I travel, I use Purex laundry sheets - throw a sheet in the washer and the detergent is released, keep it with the load into the dryer, and the softener is released. And no one is tempted to eat it.
You have assumed incorrectly.
If adults would avoid purchasing potentially deadly products because they were pretty, the market would alter the product.
Gold ole American ingenuity at work.
It’s the age old caution. Be careful what you let children get at. It’s known as “parenting.” You DO care about them don’t you?
And here I always thought that putting a cap/scoop full of detergent in the wash was incredibly convenient.
One death does not a panic make. Children and pretty things have always been a hazard. Teaching children the difference between pretty things that are good and pretty things that are harmful is part of the normal lessons of life. Don’t shuck this off on manufacturers expecting them to create rubber rooms for everyone.
I just hope they have no transfats.
Saponified transfats are good fabric softeners.
But...But...the stated reason for purchasing the product is the immense convenience and ease of use. It would be inconvenient to store the product in a location that required an extra step to reach up, open a cabinet.
How about 14,000 reported poison incidents since 2012?
What would make you say that?
You’re right. Tell me, you wear just black and white clothing, and drive either a black or white car ???
Convenience SELLS. And as for measure-and-pour. . . .I can recall when our preferred brand changed format to a more “compact” format. Daughters STILL poured full cup of detergent from OLD box. . . went through the much-smaller box in about two weeks, was supposed to be ~2 months worth.
Ha--we need to get with the program.
That’s all poison incidents involving laundry products? Or this particular form of a laundry product? Be honest here.
The lesson to be taken is, Keep poisons reasonably out of reach of children. Trying to create an over sanitized world actually robs children of life lessons they need to know. They will not always have nannies, and as soon as they are old enough to begin knowing that no that lemon ammonia isn’t lemonade, they should be taught this.
You need to get a smaller cup. :o)
The program is called making life more handy for people.
With many blessings come dangers of misusing them.
We are not excused from teaching our children bad from good.
This is 100% the fault of ignorant parents.
I’ve used this product and like it a lot. No measuring, no muss, no fuss. Toss the packet in the machine and you’re done. Super simple.
Exposure to soap? So. I'm thinking the worst case scenario is a kid chewing on one and getting a mouth full of soap, which they are highly unlikely to consume, unless P&G made it taste like chocolate syrup.
Only a very stupid child would do it twice.
Let me guess--reading the article would be too inconvenient?
Also it is very common practice to add “bittering agents” (like “denatonium chloride”) to products that have historically had the most accidents, to limit the amount that might be ingested.
We do children more harm in the long run by creating unrealistic rubber rooms. Do accommodate the inabilities of infants and watch what you let them get near. But as soon as a toddler can know that a product should be treated with respect (I could toss laundry tablets into the washer without wanting to eat them) that toddler should be taught!
We are all in a spiritual war zone here and the war is intended to end up victorious if we don’t just chicken out and cower in a corner. Teaching bad from good is part of this. Elementary, our dear Watsons?
What’s the big deal? Note they said “exposure” as opposed to sickness or death. It’s probably not all that toxic, and no doubt tastes like crap. Try one once, learn that it’s not candy, and be none the worse for wear.
Let me guess — justifying your snottiness is worth more than a civil conversation?
Ohhhhhhhh but ONE died! ONE died! And we KNOW that it had to have been the tablet that killed him, even though he seemed to be better and doctors expected no problem!
(Hey, SIDS sometimes happens. Though I hope an autopsy was performed.)
You are directing me to be honest about an article that you haven’t read. That makes me snotty? ROFLMAO!
I was once forced to take a mouthful of soap to clean out my dirty mouth.
It didn’t kill me, or even make me sick.
The WSJ requires you to register and log in to read that article, and it looks like you have to pay them $12 to do that.
So don’t go around flaming people for not wanting to do that.
Even if 20 million kids found the laundry detergent packets and ate them and died, it's not the manufacturer's fault when parents fail in keeping harmful stuff away from kids. If the manufacturers were at fault, then what next? Banning of knives?
We HAD a smaller cup. Humans are creatures of habit (grin)
What's new is old. I remember ads for a laundry detergent called "Salvo".
Knives are 'arms' under the Second Amendment. They can't be banned.
What about a stainless steel ruler? Is it an “arm”?
I don’t recall Salvo having a fabric softener with it.