Skip to comments.NOTRE DAME PROFESSOR ON OBAMACARE
Posted on 12/25/2013 8:10:35 PM PST by Dqban22
NOTRE DAME PROFESSOR ON OBAMACARE
Obamacare Should Remind Us We Are Not 'Subjects,' We Are People Laura Hollis is a professor at the University of Notre Dame November 20, 2013 http://www.christianpost.com/news/obamacare-should-remind-us-we-are-not-subjects-we-are-people-109165/
Laura Hollis is a professor at the University of Notre Dame
The unveiling of the dictatorial debacle that is Obamacare absolutely flabbergasts me. It is stunning on so many levels, but the most shocking aspect of it for me is watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms. The President, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (with no small help from Justice John Roberts) take away our health care, and we allow it. They take away our insurance, and we allow it. They take away our doctors, and we allow it. They charge us thousands of dollars more a year, and we allow it. They make legal products illegal, and we allow it. They cripple our businesses, and we allow it. They announce by fiat that we must ignore our most deeply held beliefs and we allow it.
Where is your spine, America ? Yes, I know people are complaining. I read the news on the internet. I read blogs. I have a Twitter feed. So what? People in the Soviet Union complained. People in Cuba complain. People in China complain (quietly). Complaining isn't the same thing as doing anything about it. In fact, much of the complaining that we hear sounds like resignation: Wow. This sucks. Oh well, this is the way things are. Too bad. Perhaps you need reminding of a few important facts. Here goes:
1. The President is not a king. Barack Obama does not behave like a President, an elected official, someone who realizes that he works for us. He behaves like a king, a dictator someone who believes that his own pronouncements have the force of law, and who thinks he can dispense with the law's enforcement when he deigns to do so. And those of us who object? How dare we? Racists! And while he moves steadily "forward" with his plans to "fundamentally transform" the greatest country in human history, he distracts people with cheap, meaningless trivialities, like "free birth control pills"! (In fact, let's face it: this administration's odd obsession with sex in general - Birth control! Abortion! Sterilization! Gay guys who play basketball! -- is just plain weird. Since when did the leader of the free world care so much about how people have sex, who they have it with, and what meds they use when they have it? Does he have nothing more important to concern himself with?)
2. It isn't just a failed software program; it is a failed philosophy. People are marveling that Healthcare.gov was such a spectacular failure. Well, if one is only interested in it as a product launch, I've explained some of the reasons for that here. But the larger point is that it isn't a software failure, or even a product failure; it is a philosophy failure. I have said this before: Obama is not a centrist; he is a central planner. And this all of it: the disastrous computer program, the hundreds of millions of dollars wasted, the lies, the manipulation of public opinion, the theft of the public's money and property, and freedom (read insurance, and premiums, and doctors) -- IS what central planning looks like. The central premise of central planning is that a handful of wunderkinds with your best interests at heart (yeah, right) know better than you what's good for you. The failure of such a premise and the misery it causes have been clear from the dawn of humanity. Kings and congressmen, dictators and Dear Leaders, potentates, princes and presidents can all fall prey to the same imperial impulses: "we know what is good the 'the people.' And they are always wrong. There is a reason that the only times communism has really been tried have been after wars, revolutions, or coups d'état. You have to have complete chaos for people to be willing to accept the garbage that centralized planning produces. Take the Soviet Union , for example. After two wars, famine, and the collapse of the Romanov dynasty, why wouldn't people wait in line for hours to buy size 10 shoes? Or settle for the gray matter that passed for meat in the grocery stores? But communism's watered-down cousin, socialism, isn't much better. Ask the Venezuelans who cannot get toilet paper. Toilet paper. ¡Viva la Revolución! Contrary to what so many who believe in a "living Constitution" say, the Founding Fathers absolutely understood this. That is why the Constitution was set up to limit government power. (Memo to the President: the drafters of the Constitution deliberately didn't say "what government had to do on your behalf.") They understood that that was the path to folly, fear, and famine.)
3. Obama is deceitful. Just as the collapse of the computer program should not surprise anyone, neither should we be shocked that the President lied about his healthcare plan. Have any of you been paying attention over the past few years? Obama has made no secret of his motivations or his methods. The philosophies which inspire him espouse deceit and other vicious tactics. (Don't take my word for it: read Saul Alinsky.) Obama infamously told reporter Richard Wolffe, "You know, I actually believe my own bullshit." He has refused to be forthcoming about his past (where are his academic records?). His own pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, told author Ed Klein, that Obama said to him, "You know what your problem is? You have to tell the truth." Did Obama lie when he said dozens of times, "If you like you plan, you can keep it. Period!"? Of course he did. That's what he does.
4. The media is responsible. And had the media been doing their jobs, we would have known a lot of this much, much earlier. The press is charged with the sacred responsibility of protecting the people from the excesses of government. Our press has been complicit, incompetent, or corrupt. Had they vetted this man in 2008, as they would have a Republican candidate, we would have known far more about him than we do, even now. Had they pressed for more details about Obamacare, Congress' feet would have been held to the fire. Had they done their jobs about Eric Holder, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, the IRS scandal, NSA spying - or any of the other myriad betrayals of the public trust that this administration has committed, Obama would likely have lost his 2012 reelection campaign. (A fact that even The Washington Post has tacitly acknowledged. Well done, fellas! Happy now?) Instead, they turned a blind eye, even when they knew he was lying, abusing power, disregarding the limits of the Constitution. It was only when he began to spy on them, and when the lies were so blatant that the lowest of low-information voters could figure it out that they realized they had to report on it. (Even in the face of blatant, deliberate and repeated lies, The New York Times has the audacity to tell us that the President "misspoke.") They have betrayed us, abandoned us, and deceived us.
5. Ted Cruz was right. So was Sarah Palin. The computer program is a disaster. The insurance exchanges are a disaster. What's left? The healthcare system itself. And this, of necessity, will be a disaster, too. Millions of people have lost their individual insurance plans. In 2015, millions more will lose their employer-provided coverage (a fact which the Obama administration also knew, and admitted elsewhere).
The exorbitant additional costs that Obamacare has foisted on unsuspecting Americans are all part of a plan of wealth confiscation and redistribution. That is bad enough. But it will not end there. When the numbers of people into the system and the corresponding demand for care vastly exceed the cost projections (and they will, make no mistake), then the rationing will start. Not only choice at that point, but quality and care itself will go down the tubes. And then will come the decisions made by the Independent Payment Advisory Board about what care will be covered (read "paid for") and what will not. That's just a death panel, put politely. In fact, progressives are already greasing the wheels for acceptance of that miserable reality as well. They're spreading the lie that it will be about the ability of the dying to refuse unwanted or unhelpful care. Don't fall for that one, either. It will be about the deaths that inevitably result from decisions made by people other than the patients, their families, and their physicians. (Perhaps it's helpful to think of their assurances this way: "If you like your end-of-life care, you can keep your end-of-life-care.")
6. We are not SUBJECTS. (or, Nice Try, the Tea Party Isn't Going Away). We have tolerated these incursions into our lives and livelihoods too long already. There is no end to the insatiable demand "progressives" have to remake us in their image. Today it is our insurance, our businesses, our doctors, our health care. Tomorrow some new crusade will be announced that enables them to take over other aspects of our formerly free lives. I will say it again: WE ARE NOT SUBJECTS. Not only is the Tea Party right on the fiscal issues, but it appears that they are more relevant than ever. We fought a war once to prove we did not want to be the subjects of a king, and the Boston Tea Party was just a taste of the larger conflict to come. If some people missed that lesson in history class, we can give them a refresher. The 2014 elections are a good place to start. Call your representative, your senator, your candidate and tell them: "We are not subjects. You work for us. And if the word "REPEAL" isn't front and center in your campaign, we won't vote for you. Period."
Laura Hollis is an attorney and teaches entrepreneurship and business law at the University of Notre Dame . She resides in Indiana with her husband and two children.
Finally, someone who thinks like me In this country many people have always talked about the banana republics (referring mostly to Central and South American countries), their revolutions, their coup detats, etc. But when the governments act like they have in those countries, usually that is the ONLY way to get rid of them. In this country, up to 2008, that was not the case but since then it is rapidly going that route and the natives are not used to it nor prepared to fight it effectively. Most of those natives (and sadly quite a few natives of those banana republics) naively believe in the checks and balances which the usurper is quietly but swiftly doing away with. I repeat Professor Hollis words: Where is your spine, America ? In case someone wants to write, her address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for posting.
The most amazing thing is that no one ANYWHERE seems interested in stopping these people.
So what do you want me to say?
WOW! Great article...A university professor wrote this? She HAS to have tenure! ;)
“So what do you want me to say?”
We dont want you to say anything.
Just grab your musket and meet us at Valley Forge.
Brilliantly written, and very much to the point.
I looked her up, and she’s an Assistant Professor of Law. Which, I think, means that she doesn’t have tenure yet, since ordinarily tenured faculty have to be Associate or Full Professors.
She certainly deserves our thanks, backing, and support, if she needs it after doing this.
A great show of courage, another Joan of Arc
Excellent. Thank you for the post.
Let me enlighten the professor. It’s not just the joys of Wal-Mart and Amazon that distract us from seeing what’s being done to us by the government. Not only those. It’s the belief that we all grow up with that America is the end of history, the best ever, and will remain so. Whereas countries all over the world go through upheavals, revolutions, coup d’etats, their peoples no less distrustful of government than we are, we tend to think that just because it hasn’t happened here, there hasn’t been a need for it to happen, what with our perfect political system, it is and will remain copacetic. We don’t think we ever need a dramatic change in government such as the Poles and others in Eastern Europe saw in 1989, and the Hungarians saw just recently again after being free for 20 years, and the Egyptians haven’t been afraid of, and this is in my opinion our weakness.
And that’s the insight that the likes of William Ayers who’s behind the installation of the Emperor of the White Hut, the insight that he reached and exploited. Venezuelans will rise sooner than Americans, and don’t blame Wal-Mart’s discount prices.
“no one ANYWHERE seems interested in stopping these people.”
Mitch McConnell was asked what Congress could do to reign in this illegal executive branch, and he basically said nothing could be done. The next day he was attacking TEA Party, again.
Pubbies are either complicit, or compromised in some way.
Apathy and complacency, that’s what I wanted to say.
“watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms.”
I think that’s because most think the system is working and the rules are being followed. Plus a bit of normalcy bias. It is hard to believe that this is happening, yet it is indeed happening.
The press is our enemy now.
This may be the best article I’ve seen written about obamacare. Sooner or later, we’re going to have to stand up.
The Professor should expect an IRS audit in the near future.
Bump for reread later. God bless her.
Mrs Hollis, this is the IRS calling to schedule your audit...
and she will let them.
We are a nation of wussies.
Our version of the Stasi is no less ruthless under this administration.
Thank you for posting and thank you Ms. Hollis for stating so succinctly and powerfully what torments me.
“The most amazing thing is that no one ANYWHERE seems interested in stopping these people”
Especially Republicans in Congress, who have yet to impeach this disaster.
>> The media is responsible.
Well, like I’ve been saying, the MSM is the Country’s greatest threat.
I hope she’s telling her students! This is going to be on their backs!
Ping to a very important article.
Perhaps the “counter revolution” against the Obama junta has begun.
This president has gotten EVERY major thing he has wanted.
spending is at RECORD LEVELS.
Government is BIGGER than ever.
Obamacare rolls on.
Republicans campaigned against all of the above...then passed the Ryan budget greenlighting all the above...
Complicit, or compromised, which includes threatened.
A lot of people had to go along with the Total Transformation of America.
As long as Americans have three hot meals and a cot to sleep on, they don’t care! Soon, very soon, the gov. will be coming for those three hot meals, and their beds, then what will they do, bow to their oppressor and beg them for something to eat and a place to lay their heads.
The government will have them working in fields raising food and then, and only then will the sheep get a place to rest.
Wake up America, time to draw a line in the sand, this far, no more!
So many agree. What the hell can we do? I really want to know.
Send your thanks to Professor Laura Hollis at:
i’ve been reminicing today about my campaigning with Tedisco 2009 campaign in NY-19 and Hoffman Ny-23 ... when we lost by 0.1% in the special ...and Hoffman Ny-23 .. it was our last chance to win a few house seats and stop the bill ... the right and the pro-life community largely sat out that NY-19 race ... the locals sat out the Hoffman-Scaazafava race even tho it was all over Fox News ... the grassroots erupted in a frenzy in the Scott Brown race ... at the time I was baffled why America slept. Why 40 years after Roe v Wade, the churches will not stand up, they have sat down and have surrendered.
“the most shocking aspect of it for me is watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms.”
Unfortunately, civic mindedness has been largely extinguished ... Hollis is too correct, I regret.
I may want my kids to go to Notre Dame one day and this is just another in the long line of professors spouting and incorporating their political views into my kids education which I find unacceptable.
I don't want a Dim or a Republican partisan influencing my kids political or moral views in the least.... its their job to teach.
I may agree with the sentiments expressed but Id tell my kid to stay as far clear of her as any lib...
". . the most shocking aspect of it for me is watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms." . . "Where is your spine, America ?" . . "Ted Cruz was right. So was Sarah Palin."
"We are not SUBJECTS. (or, Nice Try, the Tea Party Isn't Going Away). We have tolerated these incursions into our lives and livelihoods too long already. There is no end to the insatiable demand "progressives" have to remake us in their image. Today it is our insurance, our businesses, our doctors, our health care. Tomorrow some new crusade will be announced that enables them to take over other aspects of our formerly free lives."
"I will say it again: WE ARE NOT SUBJECTS. Not only is the Tea Party right on the fiscal issues, but it appears that they are more relevant than ever. We fought a war once to prove we did not want to be the subjects of a king, and the Boston Tea Party was just a taste of the larger conflict to come. If some people missed that lesson in history class, we can give them a refresher. The 2014 elections are a good place to start. Call your representative, your senator, your candidate and tell them: "We are not subjects. You work for us. And if the word "REPEAL" isn't front and center in your campaign, we won't vote for you. Period."
Can we wait until November, 2014? Is the system so broken there is no recourse other than watering the tree of liberty?
Notre Dame has decent professors?
It ought to open our eyes when Vladimir Putin says he wishes he could get away with what Obama does but the Russians won’t let him.
Guess what, if nothing is done you have just lost any resemblance of healthcare; much less insurance or your freedom.
It took the Russians three generations to get out from under the grip of Marxism/Leninism/Stalinism.
There are still low info voters unwilling to believe Obama can do wrong and the private insurers are to blame for the millions losing their healthcare.
95% of social science professors are liberals. Your kids are going to get a political viewpoint whether you like it or not. You should encourage it to be a conservative view.
The 95% that I disagree with doesn't make the other 5% right.
I demand that they think, and as thinking individuals they will become conservatives.
In case you have not seen this.....
This is one of the most exceptional political essays I have ever read.
I thought you might want to share it with your Washington state reader list.
How?! There is no organization whatsoever with conservatives. Then families break up over money issues (caused by this dictator) and then they are too busy with their miserable existence to fight the real enemy.
wasn’t there a coward on Fox news telling us that he is going to die from a disease after losing his coverage? So he’s going to leave his kids without a father and won’t lift a finger against Obama or his minions. Complaining about it on the news will stir everyone to action...land of the brave my ***!
It’s way too late. There are too many voters dependent on the government, and that number grows daily. They are never going to vote for anything but more of the same.