A really bothersome thing is that the alarm system indicated an open door (described in one writeup as an open sliding patio door and an open garage door). That evidently evoked no curiosity on the part of the husband or wife. I think the first reaction of any parent would have been to see if the kids were OK.
And the mom dancing with the suspected next door neighbor? Something smells about the whole setup.
She wouldn't even be my wife. But that is the difference in the sub-cultures of our society. They do things differently. They think differently. They act differently. And we are talking about sub-cultures. People who live on the seamy side of life don't have the same values as the majority. I am hoping that they are still the minority.
Sounds like the conversation drifted from cookies to making an appointment to meet at a bar, and maybe more...with the little girl present?
In a hopefully not vain attempt to get back to the subject at hand, i.e. the missing girl, if their alarm was monitered, the monitering company will know exactly what time the alarm went off, and I'm sure they've shared that info with the police.
If we can't agree on the joys or moral degeneracy of wife-swapping, I think we can all agree that if you wake up in the middle of the night to find a door open and that your alarm was tripped, and you don't check your children (the girl being a sleepwalker, no less) to see if they're OK, that is not the most parentally responsible act, wouldn't you say? Well, you might say, this problem with the alarm was known to happen before, so the dad didn't think anything of it. Then I would say, they were irresponsible for being too lackadaisical about it to get the darn thing fixed.
Whether they were having an orgy or playing chess in their garage is immaterial to their irresponsibility for not checking on their kids.
Having said that, here are a few scenarios to kick around, ranging from the statistically and reasonably most unlikely to the most likely, based on what I've heard so far about this case:
NOT IMPOSSIBLE, BUT EXTREMELY UNLIKELY
1. Total stranger who has seen the girl before outside her home, breaks in and abducts girl.
2. Girl wanders outside on her own and gets lost/hurt/killed by accident and someone is too afraid to say anything.
3. Girl wanders outside and pedophile takes advantage of an opportunity.
4. The parents involve their children in their lifestyle and girl dies in some mysterious way and they concoct break-in story to avoid exposing their lifestyles and the lifestyles of the friends that were with them.
NOT IMPOSSIBLE, BUT MORE LIKELY (BUT NEED MORE INFO)
1. Someone who doesn't know the parents, but who is acquainted with the girl (at school, on the playground, at a friend's house--maybe teenage brother of a friend) breaks in and abducts the girl.
2. Girl died in some unfortunate childhood accident and parents concoct story out of fear of either being accused of killing her, or of having their lifestyle exposed and now it's gone too far to back out of it.
3. Swinging acquaintance has had his eye on girl for awhile and takes a bathroom break from the action and steals the little girl and hides her in the trunk of his car before joining back in the action and then leaves with the girl in his trunk.
POSSIBLE AND MORE LIKELY
1. Relative or friend of the family who is known by the whole family has had his eye on the little girl for awhile and knows when the parents' attention is diverted (but isn't involved in swinging) and takes the opportunity to break in and abduct the girl.
2. The little girl caught the eye of the neighbor when she went to sell Girl Scout cookies. He's got child porn in his house, but he's never done anything to hurt children before. He learns of the parents' lifestyle (which he himself hasn't done before) and mistakenly thinks the parents won't be so "judgemental" about his sexual fantasies. He runs into the mother on her "girl's night out", maybe gets propositioned by the mother to join in one of their parties, so he knows what is going on in the garage that night, and he likely knows that their alarm doesn't work properly and he takes advantage of both situations and breaks in and abducts girl, she dies "accidentally" and he buries her out in the desert.