Skip to comments.The phantom massacre
Posted on 04/25/2002 10:59:49 AM PDT by Clive
April 25, 2002 The phantom massacre National Post
Critics of Israel are up in arms about the "massacre" that took place in the Jenin refugee camp earlier this month. Palestinian sources originally claimed that up to 500 were killed -- many through "summary executions." Terje Roed-Larsen, a senior United Nations envoy who visited the camp, said Israeli actions in Jenin were "illegitimate and morally repugnant." Svend Robinson, the NDP's Foreign Affairs critic, said "It appears there was a massacre in Jenin at the hands of the Israeli Defence Forces and if that happened, that is a war crime." And Amnesty International has declared: "The evidence compiled indicates that serious breaches of international human rights and humanitarian law were committed, including war crimes."
But as of this writing, only about 50 Palestinians from Jenin are confirmed dead (not counting the 23 suicide bombers from the area who attacked Jews in the last 18 months). Amnesty has backed off from its "war crimes" alarmism. And The New York Times, which has slanted noticeably against Israel since its March 29 invasion of the West Bank, concedes: "Dozens of interviews with residents of the camp, hospital officials, Israeli soldiers and officials, and Palestinian fighters produced no solid evidence of large-scale, deliberate killing of civilians in the camp. Palestinian claims of hundreds of dead appear to be exaggerated."
If there was no massacre, why were all those homes in Jenin destroyed? Ask the terrorists themselves.
The Egyptian newspaper Al-Ahram Weekly recently published an interview with an Islamic Jihad bombmaker who helped booby trap the refugee camp. "We had more than 50 houses booby-trapped," said the terrorist. "We chose old and empty buildings and the houses of men who were wanted by Israel because we knew the soldiers would search for them ... We cut off lengths of main water pipes and packed them with explosives and nails. Then we placed them about four meters apart ... in cupboards, under sinks, in sofas."
This puts the scenes of devastation in perspective. Rather than lose its men in booby- trapped buildings, the Israeli army sensibly bulldozed suspect homes after using bullhorns to warn occupants to get out. No doubt innocents were killed during the operation, and allegations that some residents were given insufficient time to flee seem credible. But the charge of a systematic "massacre" is clearly propaganda. If Israeli troops wanted to kill Palestinians in large numbers, they would have used bombs, not bulldozers. They also would have destroyed more homes. From press reports, one would think all of Jenin was leveled. In fact, the destroyed area was small -- just 1/30th of the camp.
Indeed any "war crimes" committed in Jenin were likely committed by the Palestinians. The Geneva Conventions prohibit "the feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender" and "the feigning of civilian, non-combatant status" by fighters. The Palestinians themselves claim to have done both. This is how Al Ahram tells the story of the Jenin ambush that killed 13 Israeli soldiers: " 'They were lured there,' [the bombmaker] says. 'We all stopped shooting and the women went out to tell the soldiers that we had run out of bullets and were leaving.' The women alerted the fighters as the soldiers reached the booby-trapped area. 'When the senior officers realized what had happened, they shouted through megaphones that they wanted an immediate ceasefire. We let them approach to retrieve the men and then opened fire.' "
The UN has authorized an investigation of the Jenin "massacre" that may begin as early as this weekend.
In principle, Israel should welcome an objective inquiry. But Mr. Sharon believes the investigating committee's mandate is too broad, and that it is dominated by individuals who may prove overly sympathetic to the Palestinian cause. After watching the UN and the rest of the world embrace tall Palestinian tales of mass graves and cadaver-carting trucks, Mr. Sharon and his Cabinet are concerned the investigation will become a tool of Arab propaganda.
Such concerns aren't entirely unwarranted, and until the United Nations can satisfy them, Israel should refuse to participate. The world is all too eager to swallow Israeli atrocity tales. The last thing we need is for the United Nations to (once again) lend them the organization's official imprimatur.
'They were lured there,' [the bombmaker] says. 'We all stopped shooting and the women went out to tell the soldiers that we had run out of bullets and were leaving.' The women alerted the fighters as the soldiers reached the booby-trapped area. 'When the senior officers realized what had happened, they shouted through megaphones that they wanted an immediate ceasefire. We let them approach to retrieve the men and then opened fire.' "What brave and honorable soldiers, these so-called Palestinians. Truly an example for us all.
UN has given imprimatur for deliberate lies and fabrications in Bosnia and Kosovo. They are reading from the same page now because their lies were well accepted. As of world willing to swallow attrocity stories, it is only a proof that anti-semitism is alive and kickin' (Jew hatred masked as concern for Palestinian Arabsy)
That odious little Washington PLO rep, Bargooti or whatever, was on Alan Keyes recently. Keyes read from the Al-Ahram account and Bargooti, his mouth running on auto, as always, promptly denounced it as "Is-ah-raali propaganda". Uncharacteristically, Keyes did not catch the irony, but I literally fell out of my chair.
| NY POST: THE MASSACRE THAT WASN'T
Peres: There wasn't a house that wasn't booby-trapped
| Steyn: It's time to snap out of Arab fantasy land
Some great Oriana Fallaci quotes/links as well
| WSJ: THE MASSACRE THAT WASN'T - Part I
Non-evidence and Pali fabrication of evidence
| Steyn: The UN is running out of blind eyes to turn
Interesting link on UN backpedaling
| WSJ: THE MASSACRE THAT WASN'T - Part II
Palestinians drop their hyped-up "massacre" charges
| Atrocities of the British Press
Huge amounts of ink devoted to unverified Pali tales
| WSJ: THE MASSACRE THAT WASN'T - Part III
Hey, Jimmy Carter has an opinion too!!
| Reporters Back Down From Jenin "Massacre" Reports
World press forced to face the truth: No Massacre
| WSJ: THE MASSACRE THAT WASN'T - Part IV
Yet more non-evidence and Pali fabrication of evidence
| Brutal, yes. Massacre, no
Lefty backtracking. See Post 21 for Pali booby-trap details
| Pediatrician notes terrorists' use of children in Jenin camp
Doctor: IDF did everything possible to prevent civilian harm
| Palestinians Used Booby-Trapped Wheelchair in Jenin
Note: The wheelchair was occupied!!
| Jenin War Diary of a Hasidic Soldier
Israeli citizen-soldier describes what went on in Jenin
| Palestinian Fighter admits - NO MASSACRE IN JENIN
Up to 2,000 bombs and booby traps placed in the camp
|| Palestinian fighter's version of the Jenin battle
Our Plan: trap Israeli soldiers and blow them up
That shameless creature rubberstamped fraudulent report about Racak "Massacre", now she is scheduled to repeat this in Jenin. Hopefully, Isrealis will deny her entrance visa.
Btw. she is forensic dentist, not forensic pathologist. Her level of forensic knowledge was demonstrated in Racak case.
Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.