Skip to comments.Correcting History, a list of facts and observations
Posted on 10/25/2002 9:10:45 PM PDT by deveray
WHO WAS IN CHARGE WHEN:
People rarely get a chance to actually make a difference outside their small group of friends and family. This could be an opportunity. Truth needs defenders and messengers. This group can do that. Now we have the internet. Citizens are no longer helpless. The press has their information machines. We have this. I have a plan, a desire, and a need. No jokes, no inspirational poems, just a history lesson, for the world. The idea is to mass transmit the following information via email, fax or letter to anyone whose address you know. Because its important. It may not work. But maybe it will.
The mid-term elections are upon us, and then another election will follow. The deceitful American news establishment has been pulling out all the stops to get more of their Constitution-hating, lying Democrats into positions of power. For nearly all of a hundred weeks (minus a six-week break after 911), Democrats and the press have lied about the president and other Republicans from morning to night, radio, newspaper and television. To do so they ignored vital portions of news events, completely censored other items and outright made things up at times.
Being something of a self-taught wanna be expert on the subject, I now hope to show other people the truth. Lots of people.
If you will, any that will (force yourself if necessary), maybe pass it along to all your acquaintances, asking them to do likewise, which could get it out there in time to make a difference against the most cunning and clever liars in history. Wouldnt it be great if a small gathering of otherwise powerless citizens could actually create an impact on the world? I hope so. Simply cut and paste it into your word processor or email program. Then pray, laugh or cry, but start sending it out to at least five people. Your country needs you. Now, on to:
WHO WAS IN CHARGE WHEN:
Democrat president, 1913:
Gave away control of the nations money to a brand new privately owned bank (the Federal Reserve) so a few rich and powerful men around the world could profit from the interest charged for loaning Americas money to Americans. To this day the press has never informed citizens that the rights to make money off their wealth was given away.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT: First ever income tax, the same year, 1913. No coincidence.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Diplomacy failing, World War I begins in Europe, 1914.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Communists overthrow the monarchy in Russia, 1917.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : US enters WWI, 1917, amidst lies about German acts.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Oversaw Verseilles Treaty formally ending WWI. The treaty is later universally blamed for causing WWII because of the unrealistic reparation demands placed on Germany. France was said to be that consumed with a desire for revenge. President Wilson failed to grasp the long-term ramifications.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT :
Begins public welfare, 1935, leading to an epidemic of fatherless children, teenage gangs, overflowing prisons, divorce, child abuse and poverty unlike ever recorded. By the year 2002, eighty percent of black children were born into homes without a father. Poverty can not be listed as the cause because before welfare (even though most people had less money), crime, illegitimacy and divorce were far lower. While the church based charities formerly held recipients accountable, thus in effect forcing their ascension into maturity, the government program not only all but eliminated the church role, but miserably failed the very people it was claiming to rescue. Why? Because the liberal Democrat mind refuses to acknowledge the basic tenets of human nature.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : WWII begins in Europe. Couldve been prevented.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : US enters WWII. Millions die. Europe is decimated.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Refused, like Europe, to accept Jews fleeing Germany.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Formally agreed to allow Joseph Stalins Soviet Union to take over the countries in eastern Europe at the close of WWII, stealing the freedom of millions for 45 years, assigning them decades of misery, murder and poverty. Estimates are that Stalin may have killed 20 million of his own citizens while in power. Democrats in Congress and the press, along with many of the famous actors in Hollywood, praised Stalin for his visionary form of government.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Put first troops in Vietnam, then added 300,000 more.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Lied about the Gulf of Tonkin incident to expand that war.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Dropped an Atomic bomb on a Japanese city, then another one. Right or wrong, its instructive to recall who was in charge.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT : Possibly the only president ever (Bill Clinton) to commit treason by accepting illegal campaign contributions from a foreign government, then allowing precious missile guidance technology to be sold to that country (China). Richard Nixon was guilty of covering up a burglary at a Democratic Committee office to search for documents illegally obtained by the Democrats. Bill Clinton betrayed his own country. Which one did the press hound until the public began believing? While indeed spreading gallons of ink writing about Monica Lewinski, the national news networks repeatedly covered up a massive criminal operation conducted by Bill Clinton and his friends.
1. Illegal IRS audits of his enemies.
2. Illegally obtaining FBI background files, then blackmailing political opponents.
3. Giving taxpayer money to help Enron build plants around the world.
4. Massive solicitation of illegal campaign contributions.
5. Repeatedly lying about the intentions and plans of political opponents.
6. Scaring old people, the poor and minorities into believing the most outrageous lies about Republicans. This list could go on for pages.
7. Much as supporters like to say otherwise, numerous convictions were obtained against those working for Clinton.
Number of associates who were convicted of or plead guilty to crimes: 47.
Number of witnesses pleading the 5th Amendment before Congress: 72.
Number of witnesses fleeing the country to avoid testifying: 17.
Number of foreign witnesses who refused interviews by investigative bodies: 19.
Number of indictments/misdemeanor charges: 61.
Number of people sent to prison: 14.
Number of witnesses and critics of Clinton subjected to IRS audit: 45
Numerous individuals claimed to fear for their lives. At least one was given FBI protection. Charges of rape against the president, though deemed to be credible by nearly everyone investigating the matter, were thoroughly covered up by the national press.
Even if it...turns out to be true, it happened a long time ago and...theyve gotta be figuring maybe, just maybe the American public has heard all they want to hear about this and are saying, you know, Next, lets move on to the next thing. Dan Rather on Imus in the Morning, February 23, 1999, in response to a question about the rape charge.
"If we could be one-hundredth as great as you and Hillary Rodham Clinton have been in the White House, wed take it right now and walk away winners...Thank you very much and tell Mrs. Clinton we respect her and were pulling for her." -- Dan Rather, talking via satellite to President Clinton about his then new on-air partnership with Connie Chung as co-anchor of the CBS Evening News.
Not one Democrat in the Senate voted for impeachment. With the help of the press, Clinton left office enjoying widespread public approval.
DEMOCRATS IN CONGRESS, including Al Gore Sr: Voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1965, then lied about it. The press refused to tell America about the votes of Al Gore Sr. during the 2000 presidential campaign, along with those of Al Gore Jr. While eager to repeatedly describe the personal problems of Bush relatives, the press flatly ignored the drug arrest of Al Gores son during the campaign, much as they had ignored the drug arrest of Clintons brother years earlier. Many, many other events were ignored.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT, Jimmy Carter:
1. Shaw of Iran overthrown by Islamic fundamentalists who then went on to train and equip terrorists to bring mayhem around the globe. Failed at lone rescue attempt of American hostages taken by radicals and held for over a year. They were subsequently released on the day the next president, a Republican, took office.
2. Nicaragua taken over by Communists. Citizens lose the right to choose their own religion. Many are killed.
3. While trying to appear caring, accepted thousands of refugees from Cuba, which allowed Fidel Castro to empty out his prisons and send the felons to America.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENTS, Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton:
Gave away control (Carter) of the American-financed, strategically vital Panama Canal even though taxpayers had long ago paid for that land. It was subsequently taken over by the Communist government of China while another Democrat (Clinton) was president. China regularly practices missile warfare games with the United States as its target and has already stated an expectation to be at war with the US sometime within the next 20 years.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENT, Bill Clinton:
1. Tried to force all Americans into a Communist style healthcare system that would have imposed jail time for any that sought out medical care on their own.
2. Rushed the citizenship process for a million aliens before the 1996 election because statistics indicate the majority end up voting for Democrats. It was later discovered that many of them were felons or carriers of contagious diseases.
3. Started a war against a Christian nation (Serbia) to help a Muslim nation (Albania) steal away part of Serbia. The Albanian Muslim KLA was widely known to be operating an international drug cartel. Network news anchors like Dan Rather set up camp in Kosovo to build support for the war. They also said nothing in 1998 when Clinton and the Democrats passed another war resolution against Iraq. When Bush asked for the same terms, Democrats and the press worked day and night to turn American opinion against a war resolution. ABC News alone gave 80 percent of its coverage to critics of the Bush proposal. Suddenly reports of how Hussein allows the rape of women and cuts off the heads of those who oppose him were absent from news stories. A cry went out from across the land that we must enlist the UN as a partner. Clintons invasion and destruction of Serbia was done despite UN protests, a fact impossible to find on nightly national newscasts.
4. While the Democrats tried to frighten the world into worrying Ronald Reagan would start WWIII, he ended up using the military less than would Bill Clinton four years later, even though the Cold War ended before Clinton took office.
5. Did nothing while half a million people were slaughtered in Rwanda, 1994.
6. Did nothing while militant Islamists bombed the World Trade Center in New York and two American embassies overseas. Well, he did bomb an aspirin factory in Africa and a tent in Afghanistan while the impeachment trial was taking place.
7. Pulled weapons inspectors out of Iraq.
8. Issued deceitful and incorrect reports about the economy in the months before the 2000 election, misleading voters about an economy that had been declining for more than a year. Friends in the press cheerfully played along, then began providing real economic figures just before Bush took office.
9. Among his group of last-minute, suspicious pardons upon leaving office were two groups of known terrorists.
DEMOCRAT PRESIDENTS, various: Allied with the two major teachers unions, have year in and out refused to demand better standards while the American public school system fell from one of the best in the world to one of the worst, while textbooks began lying to students about history and even science.
SUPREME COURT JUSTICES appointed by Democrat presidents:
1. Banned prayer in schools. 2. Banned Bibles in schools. 3. Banned discussion of God in schools. 4. Allow discussion of witches and the gods from other religions in schools. 5. Allow innocent children to be taught a preposterous, and scientifically impossible lie that a Big Bang and evolution accounted for their existence even though, scientifically speaking, the odds are far more likely that a sudden miracle produced creation. In other words, ironically enough, using the Law of Statistical Probability, it actually requires more faith to believe in evolution than the Holy Bible. Coming full circle, it is today the scientists and Democrats refusing to allow science to be taught in the public schools. A lie is of course acceptable. The press has remained quiet.
6. Forced American children into a busing program so that blacks and whites couldnt choose where they wanted to attend school.
7. Outlawed the death penalty. (Decision was subsequently overturned by Supreme Court Justices appointed by Republican presidents.
8. Four of nine US Supreme Court justices (all liberals) sided with the 100 percent Democrat-controlled Florida Supreme Court in its outrageous effort to change laws and steal the 2000 election for Al Gore by agreeing to add new votes only from counties with Democrat majorities. This countrys national press corps (who voted 90 percent for Bill Clinton) refused to tell citizens what really took place in the Florida Supreme Court. What really took place was frightening.
9. Gave abortion doctors permission to surgically terminate the pregnancy of a 12 year-old girl without the need to contact her parents, even though the procedure could cause death or sterilization.
DEMOCRATS IN THE US CONGRESS:
1. Passed a law forbidding a Republican president from helping the citizens of a central American country defend themselves against a Communist army attempting a takeover.
2. Held up the judicial nominees of a Republican president because those candidates did not think enough like Democrats.
3. Throughout the years have resisted a missile defense system for America, with the insane argument that it might provoke other countries.
4. Prevented Republicans from adding to new voter laws a provision requiring identification before voting, despite ongoing reports of massive voter fraud during elections. But you see, as it turns out it is the Democrats themselves who somehow always seem to benefit from voting crimes. Therefore, improving the system does not appeal to them.
5. Worked with their friends in the press to blame a Republican president for Enron even WHILE evidence was surfacing placing Clinton at the scene of the crime, even though zero evidence was produced implicating George W. Bush.
6. Worked for years to dismantle the CIA and reduce spending for Defense, then tried to blame Bush for inadequate preparation leading up to the 911 attack on the World Trade Center.
7. Held up the presidents nominee to head the FBI for nine months, finally completing the process one week before the 911 attacks, six months before blaming that president for not properly preparing for an attack.
8. Support legal abortions for your 12-year old daughers with no necessity whatsoever to notify the parents. They criticize opponents of such a position, calling them anti-choice. Abortions are the only act of choice Democrats advocate. Tax relief, private schools, protecting cities by guarding the borders, exposing the lie of evolution in schools, and firearms ownership for self protection are areas where Democrats decide choice is not such a great idea afterall. Men must under no circumstances have any choice in abortion decisions, even though their own offspring can be terminated without reason, even though a judge can force men to work 20 years to support a child, all depending on what only the woman chooses.
9. Refused to appoint a judge to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals in 2002 because she once upheld a state law to inform parents before an elective surgical abortion was performed on their young daughter.
DEMOCRATS, ALONG WITH THE PRESS:
Continually lie to Americans about gun statistics. Attempting to outlaw private gun ownership, they fail to admit that more children are killed driving in cars with their parents, swimming in the family pool or by accidentally falling. They refuse to note the millions of crimes prevented and lives saved because of guns each year. They refuse to acknowledge that every city legalizing concealed weapons in recent years has seen an immediate and dramatic decrease in crime. Liberals and the press have together succeeded in getting citizens to accept gun forfeiture in both England and Australia. Both countries have endured an increase in crime since then. Canada and Japan, where guns have long been outlawed, have also experienced dramatic increases in crime. The press doesnt want you to know that.
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (one of 12 courts under the Supreme Court), a panel of justices appointed by Democrat presidents: Banned the Pledge of Allegiance because of the phrase, under God.
Democrat City Council, Los Angeles: Passed a law preventing the LAPD from deporting illegal aliens, even after they were convicted of crimes.
Democrat City Councils across the land: Insisted school children be taught that homosexuality is an equal alternative to heterosexuality. Allowed representatives from lesbian and gay groups into the schools to speak with children on down to the fourth grade. They say anyone who complains is intolerant and homophobic.
Democrat state congressmen from California: Passed a bill to issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens. It was vetoed by the governor while running for re-election.
Democrats across the land: Defend illegal immigration with a lie by stating they only take jobs nobody else wants.
The truth: The multi-billion dollar construction industry has been thoroughly taken over by illegal aliens, depriving millions of US citizens of a traditional source of high paying blue-collar work.
The truth: Rents and home prices have skyrocketed because of their willingness to put muliple families in one home and pay higher rent.
The truth: Prisons are bubbling over with illegal aliens convicted of serious crimes. Gang warfare has escalated exponentially coinciding with the influx of illegal aliens.
The truth: Welfare expenses have grown beyond imagination because of the policy that illegal aliens can not be denied taxpayer money for rent help, medical care, food and cash.
The truth: Schools in Los Angeles, Miami, New York and numerous other cities are forced to construct new buildings and raise local taxes to pay for the millions of children from the families of illegal aliens.
The truth: American citizens can not enter Mexico and obtain any of the rights or benefits their citizens are granted in the US. In fact no other nation allows millions of illegals to enter its population without medical, employment and criminal background checks.
The truth: A powerful and growing movement within the Mexican community claims a natural right to own and possess the Southwest, including California, Arizona and more. Democrats line up behind them. The story is that the land was stolen from them by Americans more than a hundred years ago. Yet they overlook how Spain originally took over all of Central America and the South United States from the natural inhabitants in the first place. Therefore, were we to give the territory back to its earliest residents, that would not be to the people of Mexico anyway. But, teaching proper history is not the goal of Democrats and the press. Their goal is to destroy the roots of the American nation, replacing them with something else. This has nothing to do with the nationality of anyone involved. It has everything to do with deceitful politicians and a thoroughly corrupt political party.
The truth: Eighty percent of the Mexican community votes for Democrats, which helps explain why American laws are repeatedly ignored by the very people paid to enforce them.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT: Freed the slaves, at the sacrifice of many American lives including, ultimately, his own.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT : Ended the Vietnam War.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT : Dared to call the Soviet Union an evil empire.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT : Defeated the Soviet Union without firing a shot.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT : Fought the onset of increasing American Socialism.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT : Appointed Supreme Court justices who overturned many of the decisions imposed on America during the 1960s and 70s.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS, all : Work to return money to the taxpayers, not simply to reduce taxes but to keep that money out of the hands of Democrats. With billions of dollars, Democrats have been able to put their allies in charge of massive bureaucracies, grant favors to unions and various organizations and thereby solidify their stranglehold on the people and schools of America.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS, all : Have been forced by Democrat majorities in Congress to go along with social programs like Medicare, but remain aware of how the cost of medical care is kept artificially high due to the government subsidizing that industry. Before such giveaway programs people could afford to pay their own doctors. There was even such a thing as home visits.
REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS, all : Work to uphold the US Constitution and the cause of freedom therein offered to citizens, keeping federal government out of their lives as much as possible, except for the cause of national defense, highways and other interstate necessities. They believe schools and police protection are operated far more efficiently by city governments with the oversight of the local community members who care most about the operations of those organizations.
The reason so few people know all of this is because the national news networks were taken over by deceivers many years ago. Though it sounds preposterous and conspiratorial, the facts are voluminous, difficult to refute, impossible to deny.
The list below represents some of the most influential national liars.
The Washington Post
The New York Times
The Los Angeles Times
National Public Radio
ABC: Good Morning America, World News Tonite, 20/20, Prime Time and Nightline.
NBC: Today, The Nightly News and Dateline.
CBS: The Early Show, The CBS Evening News and 48 Hours.
CNN: All programming.
Munich had become a magnet for right wing radicals, including Hitler. Peter Jennings, The Century, a documentary.
PETER JENNINGS is a national newscaster, the anchor of ABCs World News Tonight, and a committed liberal Democrat, originally from Canada.
Adolf Hitler does not fit into the right wing of the political spectrum from any logical perspective. If anything he stands at the extreme edge of the Left wing, a polar opposite to the right wing. The German acronym Nazi itself is derived from the term Socialism. The German leader outlawed private gun ownership, favored a massive central government that controlled among other things education and industry. His policies restricted religious freedom and classified citizens according to race. He tormented his enemies, including the intellectuals trying to engage him in legitimate debate, and produced endless streams of manipulated news stories designed to mislead the public.
Overlooking the wars and murders for the sake of comparison in the political arena alone, his ideas (along with many of his techniques) if anything actually fit quite nicely into the platform advocated by the liberals that make up the modern Democratic Party in America, which renders his odd transformation at the hands of a liberal journalist quite curious.
And then this:
Hampered by the inefficiencies that were endemic to centralized economies, the Soviet economy was unable to compete with the West. The increasingly conservative, aging leadership proved incapable of understanding the need for dramatic economic reform. The leadership had no answer to the long lines, shortages, corruption, and other symptoms of economic decline that characterized the Soviet economy in Brezhnevs last years.
From 1967 to 1982 Andropov was chairman of the KGB, the Soviet secret police. Under Andropov the KGB became more efficient, increased its international espionage efforts, and maintained control over attempted liberal movements within the country. Encarta Encyclopedia, 2000. Microsoft Corp.
BILL GATES, the richest man in the USA, is also smitten with the liberal side of politics. For whatever reason, he has published an encyclopedia that miraculously transforms another group of far-left wing liberal socialists into conservatives. It is estimated that 20 million Soviet citizens were either murdered or starved to death while the socialists (who called themselves communists, the final stage of socialism) were in power. They had also banned private gun ownership, outlawed religious practices, taken over all schooling, eliminated the right to own property and placed the central government in charge of industry, all policies far closer to the political inclinations of the Left than anywhere else. It is certainly worth asking why these powerful people are trying to confuse the political affiliations of two of historys most depraved governments.
About property ownership in the U.S: If a person is required to make yearly payments to the government, or else the government WILL take away that property, then he doesnt actually own it in the first place, now does he? In fact, the Democrats have already long ago removed the true right of home and land ownership in America. Whats left is merely the right to possess property for as long as you want, just so the payments are kept up.
A few excellent sources of honest news remain. The author has no affiliation whatsoever with any of the companies on the list.
1. The Fox News Channel on cable. Begun in 1995, it is now available worldwide.
7. The Hugh Hewitt radio show. (hughhewitt.com)
8. The Michael Medved radio show. (michaelmedved.com)
9. The Michael Savage radio show. (michaelsavage.com)
10. The Laura Ingraham radio show.(lauraingraham.com)
11. The Rush Limbaugh radio show. (rushlimbaugh.com)
12. The Larry Elder radio show. (larryelder.com)
13. The Media Research Center. (mrc.org)
And there are others.
Final note: By the end of the 20th century, most poliltical analysts were unable to find any significant difference between the platform of the Democratic Party and that of the Communists and Socialists. The Democrats are more clever though, foregoing revolution to work from inside a free country to destroy it. To reach their goal, it was first imperative to gain control of schools and the most influential news outlets. That phase has already been accomplished.
For the many showered with nothing but Socialist / Communist indoctrination for years, its useful to take a moment to include a short description of the two political systems, which are essentially the same, except for minor details. Without arguing for or against either, one must realize they are, if nothing else, a forced way of living. Freedom is history. Forced not to become rich, forced not to become poor. Should you choose to work 12 hour days in an effort to improve your standard of living, Socialism would deny that choice.
The Democrats advocate a form of Socialism-lite, allowing certain variations while still prohibiting the choice to mind your own business, live on a ranch, support your family and stay out of the affairs of others. The Lite version is more easily swallowed by the citizens of a country. Afterward one always finds increased government encroachment into the lives of the people, year by year. To accomplish social engineering, agencies must take money from those who earn it, and give it to others. Some call that theft. And you must deny freedom, the freedom to choose ones own doctor for instance. The health care plan proposed by the Clintons and favored to this day by the media is no different. Buying yourself better medical care would become illegal, punishable by time in jail, since it is said to be unfair that some would have it better than others.
The ideal of Communism unfortunately suffers from a refusal to acknowledge human nature. Sometimes people need to become destitute, sometimes they need to suffer, for their own growth. Lacking the guidelines of common sense in those systems, and suffering the resultant folly of massive failure throughout the range of social programs, Democrats and world Socialists have always ended up being forced to prevent the truth from reaching the public. One of the most significant forms of truth about human nature has always come from the Bible, and the free exercise of religion. As of this day, and for nearly 80 years, ACLU attorneys have been marching from city to city suing local governments to get any form of religion removed from public places, having already won that battle in the public schools. Their recent efforts have likewise been mostly successful.
We may have to find some marvelous middle ground between capitalism and communism. .... While each nation has distinctive problems, for the United States the first priority of the new order must be a revision of the educational system to ... guarantee that each of our citizens will have equal resources to share in the decisions of the democracy, and a fair share of the economic pie." Former CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite, quoted in a January 21, 1996 Los Angeles Times Magazine profile by Newsday TV writer Verne Gay.
The Democrats would not have been able to attain so much power were it not for their allies in the mainstream press. Do not underestimate the power of the force those two groups represent.
Are you reading this? Theyre stealing your country. Can you shut off the TV and music long enough to get angry again? You may then become willing to help. Wouldnt that be something! Devote one hour. Take part in what has become a spiritual and information war for the soul of a nation.
Please email, fax or send this document to every person and organization you can. Add your name at the bottom, and pass it on. Your effort may help the cause of truth and justice.
Copyright: Randal S. contact: firstname.lastname@example.org From: Lying to America
PS: Dont forget to vote.
Bookmarked!(and, I might send thid to a few people who need convincing, thanks)
Eisenhower was a Democrat? MAAG started training ARVN soldiers in 1956, and the first American casualties were killed at Bienhoa in 1959, IIRC.
Blame Kennedy for escalation if you like, but best check those timelines one more time... ;)
I wish that one could say that corruption, scandal, and all other problems were soley due to Dems / happened under Dem administrations ; however , that just is NOT the fact !
Not too bad a vanity rant, though. :-)
Republican appointees Brennan and Stewart voted against the death penalty in Furman. Democratic appointee White voted to restore it in Gregg. Republican appointee Brennan also voted against restoring the death penalty in Gregg...
MAAG was a US Army command, through and through - those guys were almost all Rangers and Special Forces, with some Navy and CIA-types thrown in for good measure. Calling them "advisors" doesn't change the nature of what they were, though - heck, if you'd asked the Kennedy/Johnson administrations, they'd have told you there were 24,000 "advisors" in VN by 1964. Certainly blame JFK for escalating it, but the Army was on the ground in VN long before he was elected...
For that matter, I am one of the few right-wingers who finds some serious value in the Vietnam war, that being to forestall the Soviet Union and China during their most dangerous years. Well, China is still dangerous, but nobody can get away with wantonly running over nations anymore without the whole world seeing.
Shoulda stuck by the Vietnamese, then - they have no love for the Chinese, either, since at least 1978 when the Vietnamese drove out Pol pot, and the Chinese invaded VN in retaliation. Heck, the Vietnamese are our natural allies against the Chinese....
My main point is to dissuade the legions of gullible voters from instinctively assigning the blame for all things awful on the GOP, as the outline readily does.
Nothing wrong with that, but it's important to make sure all the facts are solidly nailed down, in that case, or people will jump all over the slightest error and use it to discredit the whole kit and caboodle. Consider this a friendly critique... ;)
It is my understanding that until Kennedy was elected in 1960, there were never more than a thousand members of the military in Vietnam in whatever capacity. That number might be three thousand. I better check. Though possibly Special Forces, it was certainly not the type of drafted foot soldiers we would get when the Democrats became involved.
There is no problem getting facts corrected or receiving friendly critiques. And I thank you. It helps me make my case stronger afterward. I do think you have made a fair point, though still contend that a sharp and dramatic contrast resides between how the Democrats and Republicans treated that conflict, leaving my original contention worthy of remaining part of the essay.
A few items as you have noticed can certainly be expanded upon to account for every nuance related to the topics in that piece. However, the essay was already 12 pages. Taking time to explain each consideration would possibly cost many potential readers because of expanding it a few more pages with gray text instead of slam bang facts that hit people in the face. Regardless, it was and remains an area of conflict within me because of what often ends up later as a need to explain them anyway. I'm still thinking about it.
Good idea - I believe the number there when Kennedy took office was 700. Which wasn't much, but it was double what the US was supposed to have under the Geneva Accords, BTW...
Though possibly Special Forces, it was certainly not the type of drafted foot soldiers we would get when the Democrats became involved.
Taking time to explain each consideration would possibly cost many potential readers because of expanding it a few more pages with gray text instead of slam bang facts that hit people in the face. Regardless, it was and remains an area of conflict within me because of what often ends up later as a need to explain them anyway. I'm still thinking about it.
In that case, it's probably best not to overreach in search of the in-your-face aspect of it, so that you minimize the amount of qualifying and explaining you do later. Maybe the best bet is to narrow this all down to the top ten or twenty slam-dunk points you can make - that way, you don't risk losing too many people just by the sheer length of the thing, and that way you can insure that all the points you choose are your very strongest.
Anyway, best of luck ;)
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
Response to issue taken about who appointed which justices.
408 U.S. 238
January 17, 1972
CERTIORARI TO THE SUPREME COURT OF GEORGIA
Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 (1972) (USSC+) Opinions
In the 1972 case of Furman v. Georgia, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that capital punishment as then practiced was unconstitutional, because it was applied disproportionately to certain classes of defendants, notably those who were black or poor. This ruling voided the federal and state death penalty laws then in effect but left the way open for Congress or state legislatures to enact new capital punishment laws, a process that began almost immediately. - Encarta 2000
DOUGLAS, J., Concurring Opinion (1939 1975, FDR)
BRENNAN, J., Concurring Opinion (1956 1990, Eisenhower)
STEWART, J., Concurring Opinion (1958 1981, Eisenhower)
WHITE, J., Concurring Opinion (1962 1993, Kennedy)
MARSHALL, J., Concurring Opinion (1967 1991, LBJ)
BURGER, C.J., Dissenting Opinion (1969 1986, Nixon)
BLACKMUN, J., Dissenting Opinion (1970 1994, Nixon)
POWELL, J., Dissenting Opinion (1972 1987, Nixon)
REHNQUIST, J., Dissenting Opinion (1986 *, Reagan)
Gregg v. Georgia, 428 U.S. 153 (1976) (USSC+) In the 1976 case of Gregg v. Georgia the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that such systems of guided discretion did not violate the constitutional prohibition against cruel and unusual punishment. Soon after that case was decided, 35 states had passed laws providing systems of guided discretion in death penalty cases. The first execution under these laws was that of Gary Gilmore by firing squad in Utah in 1977. - Encarta 2000
Judgment written by:
STEWART (1958 1981, Eisenhower)
POWELL (1972 1987, Nixon)
STEVENS, (1975 *, Ford)
WHITE, J., Concurring in the Judgment, (1962 1993, Kennedy)
BLACKMUN, J., Concurring in the Judgment, (1970 1994, Nixon)
BURGER, REHNQUIST, JJ., Separate Opinion, (1986 *, Reagan)
BRENNAN, J., Dissenting Opinion, (1956 1990, Eisenhower)
MARSHALL, J., Dissenting Opinion, (1967 1991, LBJ)
General_re, your grasp of history is impressive. But once again the details do not alter my main point. While it is true that Eisenhower appointed a couple left-leaning Justices, which skewed the count of who was responsible for what, it still ends up that without Democrats we never outlaw the death penalty and without Republicans, it would not have been restored. Thank you again though for making me check my own memory and increase my knowledge by pulling out the books.
Like, say, Earl Warren. Apropos of that, there's a story that someone asked Ike, just after he left office, if there were any mistakes he'd made as President that he really regretted.
Ike's response? "Yes, and they're both sitting on the Supreme Court, dammit." ;)
NOTICE: I have begun posting the above CORRECTING HISTORY ARTICLE at Oprah's site:
Thanks for your consideration.