Cuba says Iran was jamming US satellite broadcasts: State Department
August 20, 2003
Cuba has told the United States that an Iranian diplomatic facility in or near Havana was the source of the jamming that disrupted US Farsi-language satellite broadcasts to Iran last month, the State Department said.
And, in an unusual display of cooperation between the Cold War enemies, Havana appears to have actually acted on pledges to halt the interference which had prompted a formal protest from Washington, it said.
"It has ceased," said Jo-Anne Prokopowicz, a department spokeswoman.
After denying that it was responsible for the jamming but pledging to investigate the US complaints in mid-July, Cuba told the United States that it had found the source and had acted to stop it, she said.
"Cuba informed us on August 3 that they had located the source of the interference and had taken action to stop it," Prokopowicz said.
"The government of Cuba informed us that the interference was coming from an Iranian diplomatic facility," she said, adding: "We will be following this up with Iran."
On July 15, the US government-affiliated Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG) accused Cuba of jamming its programming, as well as that of private US-based Iranian opposition satellite television stations, to Iran.
The jamming, which affected all Farsi-language broadcasts carried by the Loral Skynet satellite, became pronounced amid growing protests in Iran against the Tehran government.
Iran said at the time that the US broadcasts into the country were interference in its internal affairs and accused the US-based Iranian opposition of inflaming the protests.
Shortly after the BBG complaint, which was accompanied by request for a formal diplomatic protest about the jamming, the State Department said the interference appeared to be emanating from Cuba, but could not say exactly who was behind it....
To read the rest of the post, go to: http://www.terra.net.lb/wp/Articles/DesktopArticle.aspx?ArticleID=101846&ChannelId=4
posted on 08/20/2003 2:16:26 AM PDT
Iranians hopeful on reporters' release
Relatives of two Iranian journalists held by US troops in Iraq have gathered outside the British Embassy in Tehran, asking the British Government to facilitate their immediate release.
After meeting a top UK diplomat, the relatives said the British were convinced that both Soheil Karimi, 31, and Saeed Abutaleb, 34, were genuine reporters and promised to follow up the case.
"We are optimistic... we hope they will be released soon," Mr Karimi's cousin, Iraj Karimi, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.
The UK Foreign Office declined to comment on the case.
US forces arrested Mr Karimi and Mr Abutaleb on 1 July for "security violations", saying the pair were acting suspiciously. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3161103.stm
posted on 08/20/2003 6:23:29 AM PDT
by F14 Pilot
(What Goes Around, Comes Around...!)
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson