Skip to comments.I don't have an answer.... do you?
Posted on 02/18/2012 10:24:26 PM PST by pansgold
Pfc. Douglas J. Jeffries Jr. 20 Springville, CA 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division One of two soldiers killed when enemy forces attacked their unit with a roadside bomb in Kandahar, Afghanistan, on September 8, 2011
I spoke with Doug's grandfather Steve Jeffries today at a local gas station and he asked me why a singer that died from a drug overdose rated flags lowered to half-staff statewide when all his grandson got was flags lowered to half-staff in Tulare county by order of the Board of Supervisors.
Good question but I don't have an answer, do you?
pansgold Springville, CA
Don’t worry. Christie’s going to lower them when Snookie dies, too.
Not according to the U.S. Flag Code:
By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia.
Cassius Clay turned his back on his family, his religion, his country, and three wives, and he’s a hero. Go figure.
And he shows up at the funeral to prove your point.
This whole thing about allowing governors of states to lower the American flag to half mast needs to stop. The American flag is the NATIONAL emblem. It should only be lowered when the NATION morns, like the death of a loved president.
If a state governor thinks his state is in mourning, then lower the state flag to half mast. This whole thing in Wisconsin of having the governor lowering the American flag to half mast when a Wisconsin soldier dies was begun under a Democrat gov in an effort to get the citizens riled up against Bush.
In America, every day there are people from the ‘greatest generation’ who fought World War II who are dying. Maybe we should just leave the American flag at half mast for them, too. That makes more sense to me, because every day, when I look at the GOP or Obama and how America is being run into the ground, I go into mourning.
1. Expulsion from nation by force of all non-Bible-based religions (no exceptions, no compromise on this issue). Allow individuals involved to sell assets (within 90 days) and then leave.
2. Reestablish strict discipline and performance standards in all public schools. Students will perform to certain standards no matter what. Special needs students will have special needs goals to attain. Any school administrators or teachers who disagree will no longer be employed. Parents disagreeing will be severely punished and then students who refuse to follow guidelines and standards will also be severely punished. Those meeting standards and especially those exceeding standards will be rewarded to the degree that they perform.
3. Any business people or politicians/government officials who set an example of dishonesty/fraud/etc. will be tried and executed.
4. Strict immigration control and massive deportations of all illegal aliens who will be allowed to sell assets prior to departure(90 days) will begin immediately. All remaining adult citizens will be required to pledge allegiance to country and sign contract to that effect. This country is not "Little Mexico", "Little India", China Town, etc. -- It is the United States of America.
5. One language will be instituted as the language of commerce, education, life and living - English (and I'm bilingual). This will draw the nation together on that plane.
6. All drug dealers will be tried, and with proof of having been involved in drug trafficking, summarily executed, even those now in prison. All drug users will have a one year period to completely solve their addiction issues or face trial and execution. Anyone bringing drugs into this country no matter what amount will be tried and executed.
7. Anyone in the world who attacks and/or kills Americans without cause will be shown to be an example of what you do not ever want to do again.
8. Lawyers -- Extensive tort reform will become the established operating procedure. One can only go to court to request actual damages for wrongs. No more multi-million awards. No more lawyers establishing procedure for society instead of real core values establishing procedure. Lawyers will take care of business necessary, not just to excessively enrich themselves.
This is just the beginning. Now, to those who want to get into an argument, "Talk to the hand." If you are not ready for massive change back to our core values, then quit complaining about what's happening. Realistically, you can not have change in one small facet of life and not expect multiple facets to face massive change as well. The problem in the nation are the core values, not any one single issue.
Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin
I wasn’t aware that blood-and-steel fascism is, or ever was, a core value in America.
Why not just lower the flags in Newark?
May about to become one. No apologies. No further argument. And, what is the average lifespan of a democracy anyway?
Is it worth becoming precisely what one claims to abhor?