Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Zimbabwe: Chinhoyi member of parliament Chiyangwa's Channel 4 interview shocks viewers
Zimbabwe Standard vis ZNEWS ^ | September 9, 2001 | Staff Writer

Posted on 09/09/2001 4:00:02 AM PDT by Clive

author/source:Zimbabwe Standard
published:Sun 9-Sep-2001
posted on this site:Sun 9-Sep-2001

Article Type : News

"If you get hold of MDC supporters, beat them until they are dead. Burn their farms and their workers' houses, then run away fast and we will then blame the burning of the workers' houses on the whites. Report to the police, because they are ours"

Staff Writer

Chinhoyi member of parliament, Phillip Chiyangwa, instructed his supporters in Chinhoyi to ransack and burn commercial farmers' properties during the Mashonaland West mayhem, a recent clip from a television footage reveals. Chiyangwa was filmed by the BBC television channel (sic), Channel 4, telling his supporters to burn the properties and run away so that the ruling party could blame the commercial farmers for burning their own properties. In an interview with Channel 4 in Chinhoyi which was screened last Sunday at 7pm British time, Chiyangwa accused white farmers of perpetrating violence on the farms and of being behind the burning of farm workers' houses.

After the interview, Chiyangwa met a group of Zanu PF youths, and started addressing them in Shona, without knowing that the reporter was still recording him. Chiyangwa was recorded addressing the youths saying: "Mukabata veMDC rovayi kudzamara vafa. Mapurazi nedzimba dzevashandi pisai mokasika kutiza tozoti varungu vapisa misha yeva-sevenzi vavo. Mhanyai munomhangara kumapurisa nekuti ndevedu."(If you get hold of MDC supporters, beat them until they are dead. Burn their farms and their workers' houses, then run away fast and we will then blame the burning of the workers' houses on the whites. Report to the police, because they are ours.)

Contacted for comment on Thursday, Chiyangwa denied inciting any violence. "You are actually the third person to tell me that. I wouldn't exactly remember everything I said, but I never said burn farm workers' houses. When my youths arrived we started chanting slogans and I addressed them briefly. I do not know where this is coming from. I would want to see that tape. In fact someone has promised me the tape." Durani Rapozo, one Zimbabwean living in Britain who watched the interview, told The Standard last week that most Zimbabweans staying in Britain were shocked to hear an MP encourage violence in Zimbabwe. "Phillip Chiyangwa showed UK residents the true picture of Mugabe's regime. He should step down because he is not a role model for our children in Zimbabwe. I now agree that the violence is being perpetrated by Mugabe as a matter of survival," he said.

Violence erupted in Chinhoyi last month after 22 farmers from Chinhoyi were picked up by the police for allegedly attacking farm settlers. They have since been granted bail of $100,000 each. There were reports of massive looting of cattle, farm implements and other valuables by so-called settlers taking advantage of the fleeing farmers. Dozens of commercial farmers from Chinhoyi, Bindura, Doma and Mhangura had evacuated with their families by air to escape the new terror blitz by war veterans. A report by the Commercial Farmers Union (CFU) on 11 August said 60 of the 357 farms in Chinhoyi and Doma had been completely evacuated, with nine farms completely ransacked, and property worth $167 million destroyed.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: africawatch

1 posted on 09/09/2001 4:00:02 AM PDT by Clive
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: sarcasm, nopardons, Travis McGee, backhoe, Migraine, jsraggmann, Brian Allen, Great Dane , Kate22
-
2 posted on 09/09/2001 4:00:31 AM PDT by Clive
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: headsonpikes, robnoel, wardaddy, BansheeBill, BenR2, technochick99, laconic, 68skylark, sirgawain
-
3 posted on 09/09/2001 4:01:02 AM PDT by Clive

To: harpseal, Gaas, Ditter, Ronin, archy, blam, JohnHuang2 , Byron_the_Aussie
-
4 posted on 09/09/2001 4:01:28 AM PDT by Clive

To: Constitution Day, TrueBeliever9, Criminal Number 18F, Eric in the Ozarks,
-
5 posted on 09/09/2001 4:01:54 AM PDT by Clive

To: Clive
"You are actually the third person to tell me that. I wouldn't exactly remember everything I said, but I never said burn farm workers' houses. When my youths arrived we started chanting slogans and I addressed them briefly. I do not know where this is coming from. I would want to see that tape. In fact someone has promised me the tape."

Who are you going to beleive, me or your lying ears?

Where have we heard this before? Could it be,............Clinton?

6 posted on 09/09/2001 4:09:01 AM PDT by jimtorr

He should step down because he is not a role model for our children in Zimbabwe.

Alas for the children of Zimbabwe (and everyone else in that country) he is precisely the role model the govt. wants.

7 posted on 09/09/2001 4:14:30 AM PDT by jalisco555

"If you get hold of MDC supporters, beat them until they are dead. Burn their farms and their workers' houses, then run away fast and we will then blame the burning of the workers' houses on the whites. Report to the police, because they are ours"

Staff Writer

Chinhoyi member of parliament, Phillip Chiyangwa, instructed his supporters in Chinhoyi to ransack and burn commercial farmers' properties during the Mashonaland West mayhem, a recent clip from a television footage reveals

Whoops!

Let the cat out of the bag!

Want to bet our Jackal Pack Press Corp(se) never mentions this?

8 posted on 09/09/2001 4:41:03 AM PDT by backhoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Why yes, I'm sure the gentleman was merely misunderstood. Surely, as a black man (and a legislator at that), he has the finest of character and is a superb role model. Everyone knows that the whites in Zimbabwe are the guilty ones in this whole mess. You know; "The Man", with his boot heel on the necks of the oppressed, black masses. Colonialism, etc., etc., etc.

...........sigh..............

9 posted on 09/09/2001 4:45:47 AM PDT by RightOnline

Can it get any more surreal?
10 posted on 09/09/2001 8:23:21 AM PDT by Travis McGee

To: Travis McGee
I'll bet it has gone way past surreal for the reporter who recorded his little pep talk.
11 posted on 09/09/2001 10:57:33 AM PDT by norton
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

To: backhoe
Yup, there will not be so much as a peep regarding anything that is happing there and there will not be anything in the future until this madman is subject to a bit of Pb therapy.

Name: lead
Symbol: Pb
Atomic number: 82
Atomic weight: 207.2 (1) g m
CAS Registry ID: 7439-92-1
Group number: 14
Group name:
Period number: 6
Block: p-block

Standard state: solid at 298 K
Colour: bluish white

Here is a brief description of lead.

Lead is a bluish-white lustrous metal. It is very soft, highly malleable, ductile, and a
relatively poor conductor of electricity. It is very resistant to corrosion but tarnishes upon
exposure to air. Lead pipes bearing the insignia of Roman emperors, used as drains from
the baths, are still in service. Alloys include pewter and solder. Tetraethyl lead (PbEt4) is
still used in some grades of petrol (gasoline) but is being phased out on environmental
grounds.

Lead isotopes are the end products of each of the three series of naturally occurring
radioactive elements.

Here is a brief summary of the isolation of lead.

There is usually little need to make lead metal in the laboratory as it is so cheap and readily
available. Lead is isolated from the sulphide, PbS. The process involves burning in a
restricted air flow followed by reduction of the resulting oxide PbO with carbon.

PbS + 3/2O2 PbO + SO2

PbO + C Pb + CO

PbO + CO Pb + CO2

This gives lead usually contaminated with metals such as antimony, arsenic, copper, gold,
silver, tin, and zinc. A fairly complex process is used to strip out these impurities.

THEREFORE.....

It is my humble opinion that this is the solution to the problem.

12 posted on 09/09/2001 11:26:13 AM PDT by TLI
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: AfricaWatch
AfricaWatch:

AfricaWatch: for AfricaWatch articles. 

Other Bump Lists at: Free Republic Bump List Register

13 posted on 03/30/2002 2:45:48 AM PST by backhoe
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson