Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Is Osama bin Laden the Present Day Leader of the Cult of the Assassins
http://www.sci.fi/~phinnweb/neuro/assassins2.html ^ | 1989 | Arkon Daraul

Posted on 09/14/2001 9:20:28 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender

The article that is linked here is about the Ismaili cult of the Assassins, which was a branch of Islam that came to power in the 11th century A.D. and then proceeded to terrorize the Islamic world for another 200 years. When you read the article you will see that the parallels between the Old Man of the Mountain (who led the Assassins) and Osama bin Laden are almost spooky. I will note just a few of the parallels here.

1. The Assassins were trained by their Prince (otherwise known as the Sheikh or Old Man of the Mountain) to travel far and wide (a 1000 miles if so ordered) and to then assimilate in whatever disguise best fit the circumstances and to then wait for orders to carry out assassinations as directed by the Prince.

2. Assassins were taught how to remain undercover (for years at a time if necessary) until they received their orders to carry out the assassinations they were charged with.

3. The original home of the Assassins was Egypt (which may account for the large number of Egyptians who helped in the attack on our country).

4. The Prince of the Assassins picked people whom he could control absolutely. And sometimes the Prince was reputed to have even purchased unwanted babies so that he could raise them as Assassins who would be prepared to follow absolutely any command he might issue.

5. As part of their religious faith, it was considered acceptable and even necessary to lie about their true beliefs and origins. In fact, Assassins were expected to follow Shiite religious practices and/or Sunni religious practices as an Assassin's particular circumstances dictated so as to not draw attention to the Assassin.

6. The Assassins' Ismaili sect was spread literally from one end of the Islamic World to the other end so that you could find members in East Africa and just as easily you could find members of the sect in Sri Lanka (this may explain the Tamil Tigers predilection for suicide attacks) and even Malaysia.

7. Finally, and most importantly "the supposed suppression of the Assassin creed which followed the Mongol destruction did not in fact take place. Copying each other, historians have asserted that Assassinism died six hundred years ago. Now and again, however, fresh facts of their continued existence still come to light. In the eighteenth century an Englishman, the British Consul at Aleppo in Syria, was at pains to make this better known: 'Some authors assert,' he wirtes, 'that these people were entirely extirpated in the thirteenth century by the Tartars... but I, who have lived so long in this infernal place, will venture to affirm that some of their spawn still exists in the mountains that surround us; for nothing is so cruel, barbarous and execrable that is not acted, and even gloried in, by these cursed Gourdins.'"

Again, I repeat when you read this article, I think you will find the parallels between the Assassins and Osama bin Laden's followers to be fascinating. So my question is this? Is Osama bin Laden the present day leader of the Assassins, or he is just trying to recreate their cult?

TOPICS: Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS: islamicviolence
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

1 posted on 09/14/2001 9:20:28 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Typhoon,RANGERAIRBORNE
Bump
2 posted on 09/14/2001 9:45:52 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: veronica,dennisw
Bump
3 posted on 09/14/2001 11:08:53 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

To: vbmoneyspender
G-d help us utterly and forever annihilate such cults, and even obliterate any thoughts of such practises after they are annihilated.
4 posted on 09/15/2001 12:28:46 PM PDT by bvw

To: bvw
Drawing on the historical tactics of the Assassins, this also may explain why they phoned the White House in order to let the White House people know that they had inside information about Air Force One and the President's security procedures. A standard tactic of the Assassins was to let leaders they were opposed to know that the leaders were vulnerable to assassination. Sometimes this was done by leaving a blade on the pillow of the sleeping leader so that he would realize that he had Assassins planted among those he most trusted. Often, such leaders would then alter their policies and actions so as to not offend the Assassins. A prime example of this was Saladin, who had vowed to destroy the Assassins, and who then survived through several assassination attempts only to cut a deal with the Assassins whereby he promised not to carry out any further attacks against them if they would stop trying to assassinate him.
5 posted on 09/15/2001 12:55:46 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Spiraling in to the target:
In Stuart's astute observation of Washington's character, and in Washington's confirmation of that observation, I sense a way of connecting him to today's teenagers, and that is through his character. For George Washington had a furious, awe-inspiring temper, mastery of which was probably his greatest personal achievement. That temper derived from the extraordinary tension between, on the one side, his relentless, insatiable ambition; and, on the other, his terrifying, at times almost paralyzing, fear of failure. We can understand his life more easily, and see his actions as those of a human being rather than a demi-god, if we keep in mind the violent interplay of conflicting emotions with which Washington struggled all his life.

6 posted on 09/15/2001 1:40:22 PM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

So, by 1754, George Washington had earned a reputation all right--an international one. How many twenty-two year olds do we know who were held personally responsible for starting a world war? At best he was regarded as a bumbling fool; at worst as an assassin. Even the King of England derided him.

7 posted on 09/15/2001 1:42:57 PM PDT by bvw

Leading a company of Virginia militia and Iroquois braves on a patrol in the Ohio valley in May, 1754, Washington unexpectedly encountered a French force. In the confusion, the young officer gave the command to fire; the Indians raced in to tomahawk and scalp the wounded. When the dust settled Washington learned that he had attacked a French diplomatic mission on its way to Virginia. The French ambassador lay dead, scalped on the forest path.
Other accounts say that Washington fired the first shot -- that shot killed the French Ambassador.
8 posted on 09/15/2001 1:46:36 PM PDT by bvw

Blockquoted material from a talk to Phillips Academy Alumni at the Williams Club, New York City, December 12, 1999 by Victor W. Henningsen, Chair, Department of History & Social Science.

9 posted on 09/15/2001 1:52:52 PM PDT by bvw

We are the nation born to stop the cult of the Assassin.
10 posted on 09/15/2001 1:54:08 PM PDT by bvw

Interesting, but Osama bin Ladin, as the Taliban, is most decidedlyl Sunni, and the Taliban does not suffer Ismailis to live. Iran hates Afgahnistan and the Taliban because they are Sunni.
11 posted on 09/15/2001 1:59:42 PM PDT by The Energizer

To: The Energizer
Here is an excerpt from the article I linked to:

When Mohammed II died, he was succeeded by his son Jalaludin, who completely reversed the orders that the Assassins were to have no outward religious observances. He felt that he could do a great deal by adopting the cloak of orthodox piety, and sent ambassadors far and wide to announce his maintenance of the true faith. He went so far as to curse his predecessors publicly, in order to convince the incredulous that such a people as the Assassins could turn over a new leaf. As a result of what would today be called a long-term and comprehensive propaganda plan, he was acknowledged as a religious leader by half the orthodox monarchs of Islam, and (the first Assassin to be so styled) came to be termed Prince Jalaludin.

Apparently, the leaders of the cult were quite willing to disavow the Ismaili sect and its teachings in public and assume the mantle of being a Sunni religious leader if it so suited their purposes. At a minimum though, whether Osama bin Linden is the leader of the Assassin Cult or not, he certainly seems to have adopted their tactics in full.

Tell me if you think I am well wet in connecting their tactics to the tactics used by the Assassins, because it seems to me that that it is the crucial point to be focused on.

12 posted on 09/15/2001 2:16:42 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

Ben Laden is practicing the tactics of the Assassins. The actual Assassin organization was exterminated by the Mongols.
13 posted on 09/15/2001 2:23:56 PM PDT by Doctor Stochastic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

You are correct that the philosophy is certainly the same, but some readers may think that bin Laden and the Taliban are Ismailis.

This article I just posted from Georgie Anne Geyer also mentions the Assassin connection.

14 posted on 09/15/2001 2:28:43 PM PDT by The Energizer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

From Chicago Tribune's Travel Writer Michael Kilian, Young George's Roots :
Though he had no previous military experience, he was sent in 1753 on a perilous mission across the Appalachian Mountains into French and Indian country to deliver an ultimatum to the French commander to leave the Ohio Valley.

The French refused, but Washington's published account of his "wild west" adventure made him a local hero.

When he returned to the mountains the following year, ambushing a French party led by a young officer performing the same role for his country, Washington found himself an international villain at age 22.

The French officer had been horribly killed in the ambush, and a large French party pursued Washington's little band and gave battle at a place in southwestern Pennsylvania called Ft. Necessity. Washington was outfought and compelled to surrender.

The capitulation paper was in French, however, and unbeknownst to Washington, included a confession to having murdered the French officer. "George Washington, Assassin" became a rallying cry in France that helped bring on the French Indian or Seven Years War, the first conflict fought all over the globe.

Near where Flight 93 diverted its course...

15 posted on 09/15/2001 2:30:29 PM PDT by bvw

To: Doctor Stochastic
The link I cited says that this is not the case. That the Mongols were not able to entirely eliminate the Asssassin organization. I don't know if this is true or not, but there does seem to be some serious dispute as to the contention that the Mongols successfully eliminated the entire organization. In fact, if you read the article, you will see that there is an intriguing link between the Assassin Cult and the Thuggee Death Cult that flourished in India. The article mentions that the Thuggees may have, in fact, been the descendents of the Assassins who had made their way to India.
16 posted on 09/15/2001 3:33:55 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: bvw
That's pretty interesting.
17 posted on 09/15/2001 3:50:40 PM PDT by vbmoneyspender
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

18 posted on 09/15/2001 5:28:55 PM PDT by Dick Bachert

Possible. However the Assassins were primarily political in their operations. The Thugee were worshipers of Kali and wanted blood for its own sake.
19 posted on 09/15/2001 9:25:55 PM PDT by Doctor Stochastic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

There is, of course, more ... the Assasins provided the organizational model (but not the morality or spirituality) that the Crusaders formed into the Knights Templar. The Knights of the Temple reformed, phoenix-like, into the Masons. George Washington was a Mason, used Masons for acts requiring the greatest of trust during the Revilution, and despite reports to the contrary, I have a trusted report that it was Washington's Masonic bible that G. W. Bush was sworn in to office on.

There also seem to be deeper links in history -- the Assasins may have formed out of the Egyptian death-worship and organizational structure. Kali -- the thuggees' blood-lusting goddess icon -- is not unrepresentative of the pleasuring women martyred assassins hope they will spend eternity with. (I only hope they get that damned wish -- let them see the truths of death in it!)

On the interesting "Ululation - The Killer Wail - An Introduction" thread posted by Freeper parsifal yesterday, there is a ancient Gnostic poem attributed to the voice of a godess (Sophia, Eve ... perhaps Lilith):

I am the whore and the holy one.
I am compassionate and I am cruel.
I am the one whom they call Life,
and you have called Death.
In my weakness, do not forsake me,
and do not fear my power.
I am the inconsolable weeping
and the unforgettable fury of light
I am the inscrutable passion
and the mirror whose shards are everywhere
I am the lake on fire.
I am going to burn the world.
This is confusing stuff, so track into it at risk, and only if you are stable, married and over forty.

Oh and two last things:

(Isiah) I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spoke, they did not hear: but they did evil before my eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.

(Divarim/Deut) I call heaven and earth to witness, I have set before you this day life and death, blessing and curse: Choose life!

20 posted on 09/16/2001 9:05:24 AM PDT by bvw
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 17 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-47 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson