Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Let's roll,'' Flight 93 victim heard to say minutes before crash Pennsylvania field
AP ^ | September 16, 2001 | JOANN LOVIGLIO

Posted on 09/16/2001 1:14:30 PM PDT by jern

By JOANN LOVIGLIO, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - ``Are you guys ready? Let's roll!'' is an expression Todd Beamer used whenever his wife and two young sons were leaving their home for a family outing.

The 32-year-old businessman and Sunday school teacher said the same thing before he and other passengers apparently took action against hijackers aboard United Airlines Flight 93 on Tuesday, shortly before the plane crashed in a western Pennsylvania field.

The jetliner, which government officials suspect was headed for a high-profile target in Washington, was the fourth to crash in a coordinated terrorist attack that killed thousands, and the only one that didn't take lives on the ground.

``He was gentle by nature, he was also very competitive, and he wouldn't stand for anyone being hurt,'' said Beamer's wife, Lisa, who was told of his last words by an operator who spoke to him. ``Knowing that he helped save lives by bringing that plane down ... it brings joy to a situation where there isn't much to be found.''

Todd Beamer placed a call on one of the Boeing 757's on-board telephones and spoke for 13 minutes with GTE operator Lisa D. Robinson, Beamer's wife said. He provided detailed information about the hijacking and - after the operator told him about the morning's World Trade Center and Pentagon (news - web sites) attacks - said he and others on the plane were planning to act against the terrorists aboard.

``They may have realized that (the hijackers) were planing to do the same thing with their plane,'' Beamer said Sunday in a telephone interview from her Hightstown, N.J., home. ``So they chose to do what they could to prevent other people from being hurt.''

Before the call ended and with yelling heard in the background, Todd Beamer asked the operator to pray with him. Together, they recited the 23rd Psalm. Then he asked Robinson to promise she would call his wife of seven years - who is expecting a third child - and their two sons, ages 1 and 3.

After receiving clearance from investigators, Robinson kept her promise Friday.

``People asked me if I'm upset that I didn't speak with him, but I'm glad he called (Robinson) instead,'' Lisa Beamer said. ``I would have been helpless. And I know what his last words would have been to me, anyway.''

Beamer said her husband placed the call at 9:45 a.m. Tuesday and told Robinson that there were three knife-wielding hijackers on board, one who appeared to have a bomb tied to his chest with a belt. The other two hijackers took over the cockpit after forcing the pilot and co-pilot out.

The jet was bobbing and changed course several times; the passengers knew they would never land in San Francisco.

``They realized they were going to die. Todd said he and some other passengers were going to jump on the guy with the bomb,'' Lisa Beamer said.

Several other passengers made phone calls from the jet before it crashed southeast of Pittsburgh: Jeremy Glick, 31; Mark Bingham, 31; and Thomas Burnett Jr. 38. Glick and Burnett said they were going to do something.

Todd Beamer dropped the phone after talking to Robinson, leaving the line open. It was then that the operator heard Beamer's words: ``Let's roll.''

Then silence.

Shortly afterwards, the plane crashed, killing all 45 aboard.

``Some people live their whole lives, long lives, without having left anything behind,'' Lisa Beamer said. ``My sons will be told their whole lives that their father was a hero, that he saved lives. It's a great legacy for a father to leave his children.''

TOPICS: Breaking News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 241-243 next last

1 posted on 09/16/2001 1:14:30 PM PDT by jern
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: jern
Heroes. Also--this means that they probably DID have a bomb, which is consistent with the reports of spread debris. I wonder if this was SOP for the other teams, and if so, how did they all smuggle bombs aboard? (I realize there's a couple of supposes here).
2 posted on 09/16/2001 1:16:58 PM PDT by Pearls Before Swine
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

BTTT
3 posted on 09/16/2001 1:18:42 PM PDT by ContraryMary

Definitely all Heroes on the plane.

So did all the teams have bombs mixed with god knows what?

4 posted on 09/16/2001 1:18:52 PM PDT by Moonlight Graham

It would appear that Mr. Beamer, another American hero, gave us ALL our marching orders...

LET'S ROLL!!!!!!!!

5 posted on 09/16/2001 1:20:48 PM PDT by Humidston

To: Pearls Before Swine,jern,Miss Marple,Molly Pitcher,illstillbe,M Kehoe,OneidaM,Snow Bunny
Heros!

God rest their souls..

6 posted on 09/16/2001 1:20:50 PM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

They were hero's and only God knows how many lives that they saved. I think that the terrorists did have bombs and the plane did blow up. But it went down over empty land.
7 posted on 09/16/2001 1:21:30 PM PDT by Pete53

To: all

The LORD is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Sureley goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

8 posted on 09/16/2001 1:22:01 PM PDT by jern
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Maybe we can replace the FDR memorial with statues of these heroes.
9 posted on 09/16/2001 1:22:32 PM PDT by Hubie59

To: Howlin,kattracks,John Huang2,Irma,A Citizen Reporter,ABG(any body but Gore)
BUMP!
10 posted on 09/16/2001 1:24:49 PM PDT by Dog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

To: Humidston
Mega Dittos.
11 posted on 09/16/2001 1:25:27 PM PDT by Golden Eagle
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

these lives will be not lost in vain. not one of them. this is wwiii and anyone stateside that acts against, with, for or has knowledge of terrorists/actions here domestically had better come forward now or they will considered the enemy of war when found.
12 posted on 09/16/2001 1:26:15 PM PDT by Anonymous2

It's amazing how courage comes to bear in ordinary folk.
13 posted on 09/16/2001 1:27:32 PM PDT by Storm Orphan

To: Anonymous2
the enemy of war should be our enemy in this war.
14 posted on 09/16/2001 1:27:36 PM PDT by Anonymous2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: Humidston
Sounds like a plan, KEEP ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'!!!
15 posted on 09/16/2001 1:27:36 PM PDT by Moonlight Graham

Tears and gratitude...

Let's Roll!

16 posted on 09/16/2001 1:29:41 PM PDT by No!

To: Humidston, dog
Greater love hath no man than he that would lay down his life for his friends (and even strangers who were terrorist targets).
17 posted on 09/16/2001 1:29:50 PM PDT by aruanan

To: Pearls Before Swine
Why does this mean they had a bomb? I don't read this anywhere in this story. The operator told him what had happened in NY, and they surmised that was their fate as well. There is NOTHING in this telling about a bomb.
18 posted on 09/16/2001 1:31:03 PM PDT by AgThorn
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

``Some people live their whole lives, long lives, without having left anything behind,'' Lisa Beamer said. ``My sons will be told their whole lives that their father was a hero, that he saved lives. It's a great legacy for a father to leave his children.''

Amen.

19 posted on 09/16/2001 1:32:15 PM PDT by Cultural Jihad

Thanks for the great post. What real heros!!
20 posted on 09/16/2001 1:32:22 PM PDT by kassie (God Bless America)

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 241-243 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson