Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Old Glory flies again at Piggy Park restaurants
The State ^ | September 18, 2001 | JEFF WILKINSON

Posted on 09/18/2001 6:17:45 AM PDT by aomagrat

It took the worst terrorist attack in American history to move him, but Maurice Bessinger has put Old Glory back up at his Piggie Park restaurants.

Bessinger replaced the Confederate and S.C. flags with the Stars and Stripes over the weekend. He said he would re-evaluate his flag stand after an appropriate period of time.

"We made a decision to honor the war dead from the terrorist attacks," the barbecue baron said Monday. "States' rights are on hold until we get through this time of mourning."

Bessinger, a colorful but divisive figure in South Carolina for more than 50 years, struck the national colors from his main flagpoles a year ago to protest the removal of the Confederate flag from the State House dome.

Bessinger's flag stand, and his distribution of pamphlets at his restaurants defending slavery, spawned statewide protests. Major grocery store chains pulled his Carolina Gold barbecue sauce from their shelves.

Bessinger said he has lost 98 percent of the grocery store business, but the switch was not intended to mitigate his losses.

"This is America. Everybody has a right to his opinion," he said. "I resent anyone trying to deny me mine. But all that's on hold until we get through this time of mourning."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Nothing unites Americans like a sneak attack.
1 posted on 09/18/2001 6:17:45 AM PDT by aomagrat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: aomagrat

Aw, Shucks!

2 posted on 09/20/2001 5:37:34 AM PDT by shuckmaster
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson