Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Blair aims to bring Bush back into fold
The Guardian (U.K.) ^ | 09/20/2001 | Patrick Wintour, Michael White and Ewen MacAskill

Posted on 09/19/2001 8:42:33 PM PDT by Pokey78

Tony Blair and the German chancellor, Gerhard Schröder, last night pledged to ensure that the global crisis triggered by the destruction of the World Trade Centre brings the United States firmly back into the international community - and isolates the isolationists in the Bush administration.

At the start of a daunting 48-hour dash around key capitals on both sides of the Atlantic, the prime minister dined with Mr Schröder in Berlin before heading for breakfast with President Jacques Chirac in Paris. He will then fly to the US for dinner at the White House tonight via a memorial service for the city's 5,000 dead in New York. He will be back in Brussels in time for Friday's emergency EU summit.

After talks at No 10 yesterday with the Taioseach, Bertie Ahern, on the US crisis and the peace process in Northern Ireland, Mr Blair spoke publicly of the urgent need to "set an agenda for the international community to attack the apparatus of mass international terrorism at every single level we can".

Privately his ambition goes far beyond the immediate crisis, to the desire among President Bush's Nato allies to ensure that Washington's inevitable military retaliation against its presumed attackers is only part of a much wider policy package.

He found a ready ally in the German chancellor, who told his guest last night that he strongly supports some form of military action, but believes the crisis represents a golden opportunity to reverse a dangerous trend towards American isolationism.

Mr Blair and his policy advisers are increasingly hopeful that the Republican secretary of state, the widely admired ex-soldier Colin Powell, is getting the upper hand over the new administration's hawks, notably defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld's team and Vice-president Dick Cheney.

The shift in the isolationist instincts that marked Mr Bush's early months in office - seen in its policies on missile defence and global warming - is being attributed to the changing attitudes of Condoleezza Rice, national security security adviser.

Like Mr Blair, Mr Schröder believes that Washington's need to build an alliance against terrorism has forced it to recognise the limits of its superpower status. Nor do the two leaders believe it would be wise to "bomb sand", a reference to what they believe would be a largely ineffectual air campaign in Afghanistan.

The French president, Jacques Chirac, has been drawing gently back from his initial support. But Mr Schröder is said to be confident that the German consensus in favour of purposeful military action will hold, even among the coalition's Greens.

Mr Bush and Mr Powell saw a succession of potential allies yesterday, including Igor Ivanov, the Russian foreign minister, the EU's foreign policy chief, Javier Solana of Spain, and Louis Michael, the Belgian foreign minister, representing the rotating EU presidency.

But the difficulties of building an international coalition against terrorism were also underlined when Mr Bush met the the president of Indonesia, Megawati Sukarnoputri, leader of the world's biggest Muslim country.

Hours before her meeting Islamic fundamentalist groups in Indonesia warned that they would attack US targets in the country if it launches an offensive against Afghanistan.

Mr Bush has already won promises of support from Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia. But US diplomats see Indonesia as potentially an important player as a neutral arbitrator, Muslim but remote from the problems of the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.

Russian officials yesterday ruled out any participation in US military strikes against Osama bin Laden. They oppose US use of facilities in key former Soviet states bordering Afghanistan. "It's America's business," the US was told.

Germany sees Iran, along with Turkey, as a stabilising influence in the Middle East. It also wants European solidarity to strengthen US-EU ties on a host of issues.

But the crisis is seen as a chance to promote the national interest too, in Germany's case closer cooperation on intelligence sharing.

TOPICS: Foreign Affairs; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/19/2001 8:42:34 PM PDT by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Pokey78
I suppose I can't get upset that they would be looking out for their own interests, but I do resent their trying to tell us what ours are.
2 posted on 09/19/2001 8:48:50 PM PDT by NovemberCharlie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Any "change" these outsiders sense is a direct result of our need to bring on partners to end this current threat - no more, no less. This president is only interested in what's in American interests, as he sees it. Bush will not be put "back into [the] fold" - that's a place where sheep are held.
3 posted on 09/19/2001 8:50:29 PM PDT by anniegetyourgun

To: NovemberCharlie
Give me a break! I get so sick of everybody in the world supposedly telling poor dubya what to do, get used to it folks he is in charge!!!
4 posted on 09/19/2001 8:51:53 PM PDT by Mahone
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Tell the bastards to saddle up and ride with us for a change, instead of cowering like the effite wimps that they are.

I'll take the Brits, the Aussies, and the Canadians, and everyone else just stay the f___ out of our way.

5 posted on 09/19/2001 8:52:13 PM PDT by Yankee

To: anniegetyourgun
You're right on target. I heard the stats tonight on our defense budgets. We spend more than the next 15 countries combined. Who needs who?
6 posted on 09/19/2001 8:52:29 PM PDT by Commonsense
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Commonsense
Here's the "M" I left off of whom.
7 posted on 09/19/2001 8:52:55 PM PDT by Commonsense
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Its my guess that the author of this article knows only about 1/4th of what is going on. Bush is not a posturing sort of guy and he has been doing that lately. I doubt any of us will know what is truly happening until much later. Its fine with me.
8 posted on 09/19/2001 8:59:46 PM PDT by dalebert

I agree with you. Living here in the Washington, D.C. area for some time, I've come to resent the European attitude towards us and our foreign policy. They seem to constantly view us as a bunch of country pumpkins, who constantly need to be kept on the straight and narrow.
9 posted on 09/19/2001 9:02:20 PM PDT by TKEman

The shift in the isolationist instincts that marked Mr Bush's early months in office - seen in its policies on missile defence and global warming - is being attributed to the changing attitudes of Condoleezza Rice, national security security adviser.

They still can't quite bring themselves to attribute Bush's attitudes to Bush. And they are in for a real shock when they discover that we still are going to have a missle defence.
10 posted on 09/19/2001 9:06:45 PM PDT by self_evident

To: TKEman
I suppose what really bit at me in this articel was the tone indicated in the title. The idea that there is some European consensus that the US should naturally gravitate to, and that if we don't, we're doing something wrong. Maybe it's just because I'm one of those isolationists that the Guardian bemoans, but I resent that.
11 posted on 09/19/2001 9:13:12 PM PDT by NovemberCharlie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

I guess a pilot fish really thinks it's the pilot for the shark.
12 posted on 09/19/2001 9:15:15 PM PDT by ctonious

More rubbish from the Eurotrash Guardian.
13 posted on 09/19/2001 9:22:43 PM PDT by AF68

To: ctonious
Once one of these freeking Euro cities takes a big hit like NY they will have to be held back from nuking them.
14 posted on 09/19/2001 9:22:54 PM PDT by america-rules
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

hmmm Blair says that the crisis moves the US from its isolationist stance, yet the doves want us to abandon quasi imperialism...and werent those doves roosting in Blairs tree...more political head bobbing...while we go about our business
15 posted on 09/19/2001 9:28:39 PM PDT by oneway

Please!!! No more drivel from the Guardian. We had enough!
16 posted on 09/19/2001 9:39:36 PM PDT by Freakazoid

He found a ready ally in the German chancellor, who told his guest last night that he strongly supports some form of military action, but believes the crisis represents a golden opportunity to reverse a dangerous trend towards American isolationism

I've been saying for days now that we will be blackmailed by our "allies"-ratify Kyoto, embrace the ICC, and eschew NMD, or no backing on anti terrorism.

17 posted on 09/20/2001 7:14:34 AM PDT by kaylar

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson