Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

[Overwhelming] Support for Bush
ABCNEWS ^ | Friday, September 21, 2001 | By Gary Langer

Posted on 09/21/2001 5:14:04 AM PDT by JohnHuang2

Sept. 21 — George W. Bush tonight won 2-1 support for his declared war on terrorism, with the public overwhelmingly seeing inaction as the nation's greater peril.

Eight in 10 Americans who saw or heard Bush's address to Congress said it increased their confidence in the nation's ability to handle the crisis. Approval of his work on the U.S. response to last week's attacks held steady, at an enormous 91 percent.

Most — albeit not all — favor his specific course. Sixty-three percent prefer a broad war against terrorist groups and the nations that support them, as Bush declared. Most of the rest do favor military action, but limited to those responsible for the attacks last week.

Preferred Approach
APPROVE
Military action only vs those responsible 24%
Broader war against terrorism 63
No military action 6
Action vs. Inaction — Support for military action stems from the threat the nation feels — and the perceived lack of an alternative. The public by 5-1 says the risk of further terrorism will be greater if the United States does not take military action, than if it does.

Weighing Risks
Which creates a greater risk of further terrorism? Percent Supporting
Taking military action (8/90) 15%
NOT taking military action 73
More broadly, the nation continues to close ranks behind Bush's leadership. Ninety percent support military action against the groups or nations responsible for last week's attacks. And 83 percent feel that way even if it means war.

Bush's audience tonight was huge. Seventy-nine percent of Americans watched or listened to his address, one of the highest levels of viewership for a presidential address in at least the last decade.

Duration and Casualties — The public seems prepared for a fairly long conflict: Nearly eight in 10 Americans think the military action to come will last for a year or more, and the majority, 57 percent, thinks it will last several years.

Expectation of a lengthy conflict is higher among people who heard Bush's address, suggesting he succeeded in driving home that point.

At the same time, there's less expectation of heavy losses to U.S. forces. Thirty-seven percent of Americans expect "large numbers" of casualties; 53 percent, "not that many."

Home Front — On the home front, the public responds positively overall to proposed measures to combat terrorism — greater airport security, stronger law enforcement efforts and the creation of a new White House office for domestic security. About seven in 10 believe these will work to reduce the risk of another major terrorist attack; but far fewer, 33 percent, think these measures will produce "a great deal" of risk reduction.

Economy — In a relatively positive result, despite the tumbling stock market, economic views in this poll are no worse than they were before last week's attacks. While 60 percent of Americans say the economy is in bad shape, it was 66 percent in an ABC/Post poll completed two days before the attacks. And while 57 percent think the economy is heading into a recession, it was a similar 53 percent just before the attacks.

Groups — There are some differences in views of military action between the sexes, and between political groups. Seventy-one percent of men prefer a broader war against terrorism; this declines to 56 percent of women (still a majority). And 74 percent of Republicans support a broader war, compared to 65 percent of independents and 55 percent of Democrats.

Methodology — This ABCNEWS/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Sept. 20, 2001, among a random national sample of 526 adults. The results have a 4.5-point error margin. Fieldwork by TNS Intersearch of Horsham, Pa.

For Education And Discussion Only. Not For Commercial Use.

TOPICS: News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-48 next last

President Bush Delivered

"Either you're with us, or with the terrorists", declared the President tonight.

No mushy middle, no muddled murkiness, no fuddle-duddle.

You're either friend or foe -- you can't be both.

Unequivocally, this speech was, far and away, the very best I've heard this President deliver.

A masterly performance, a veritable tour de force, through and through.

The 'whys', the 'hows', the 'whats' were more than adequately answered tonight.

The mission of Operation Infinite Justice should be glaringly apparent to all.

In his prime-time address before an emergency joint session of Congress, the President enunciated our values and principles with thundering force, with ringing clarity, with commanding authority -- and steely resolve.

Bush exuded confidence, self-assurance and poise -- he stood as a virtual 'Rock of Gibralter' against uncertainty and tumult.

But, more importantly, Bush radiated a quality of leadership the most lucratively paid political consultants can never produce: Authenticity.

His persona emanated a bona-fide genuineness and honesty seldom seen in politicians today.

Unquestionably, President George W. Bush bonded fully with the American people tonight, in ways few Presidents in our history could even dream of.

With soaring prose, the President explicated not only who the enemy is, but why, and the reason America -- indeed, the entirety of the civilized world -- can not afford to dilly-dally in the face of such unspeakable evil.

No talk of the "root causes" of terrorism, however. No attempt to "explain" or "understand" Osama Bin Laden; none of the numbingly stupid geopolitical psychobabble pervasive among academia and the media elite.

From the well of the People's House, the very citadel of our democracy; before the eyes and ears of a nation transfixed by harrowing events unprecedented in her history, the Leader of the Free World bellowed a rallying 'call-to-arms'; at once boldly summoning his countrymen to greatness and sacrifice.

With uninhibited candor, the President delineated the inexorable costs as well as the benefits. Victory will not come cheap -- but triumph we must and we shall.

To a nation accustomed to 'quick-fixes', Bush also sought to dampen wild or irrational expectations, however.

Success will not come overnight; many roadblocks lie along our way. The war against terrorism is a long-term commitment, not an instant cathartic exercise.

"The course of this conflict is not known", said the President. "Yet", he continued, "its outcome is certain".

In this, the most profound crisis our nation has faced in many generations, the occasion called for reassurance, and Bush delivered.

The nation -- at this difficult crossroads -- needed a visionary, and Bush delivered.

America hungered for leadership, and Bush delivered.

Our country thirsted for strength, and Bush delivered.

It yearned for firmness, resolve -- but, most of all, for hope -- and Bush delivered.

In spades.

Reflecting back upon Bush's first eight months as our President, I'm struck by the many peculiar parallels with President Reagan's maiden months in office a generation ago.

Both Presidents inherited economies already in -- or at the brink of -- recession.

Both were bequeathed myriad festering foreign policy failures by each's respective precedessors.

And, most perplexing, both were suddenly pummelled with tragedy of colossal dimensions -- early on.

Granted, the Gipper's was more of a personal nature (having survived a would-be assassin's bullet). Nevertheless, both episodes irrefutably plunged the nation into a veritable state of crisis -- of national emergency.

For many, many arduous long hours, a traumatized citizenry waited with bated breath for word on Reagan's fate. No one could even be sure who was running the country, or if the constitution's 25th amendment provisions had been invoked.

Thankfully, Reagan miraculously survived, the country soon returned to normal.

In contrast, the terrorist strikes of Black September 2001 have lunged the nation into a state of war.

Bush said he "will not forget the wound to our country, and those who inflicted it".

But he put our enemies on notice by adding: "I will not yield, I will not rest, I will not relent in waging this struggle for the freedom and security for the American people".

With that commitment, with that passionate resolve, little wonder why this President has earned the overwhelming confidence of the American people, who gave him millions of standing ovations tonight.

Remember: We shall Prevail.

God bless our President, God bless our troops, and God Bless the United States of America!

My two cents..
"JohnHuang2"

1 posted on 09/21/2001 5:14:04 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Excellent speech for delivery and content. Yes - his best ever!

Please Support President Bush! ! !

2 posted on 09/21/2001 5:18:11 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing
Bump!
3 posted on 09/21/2001 5:29:09 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Thanks for the post John. Excellent analysis of his speech in your commentary. I really felt proud to be an American last night. I recall when I came back to the U.S. from overseas in 1972. I had just graduated from high school and returned to the States to enroll in college. I bought a 1965 Ford Mustang for $535. This was while we were still up to our necks in the Vietnam War. Very little patriotism then. I bought a bumper sticker that said "I'm Proud to be an American." I still feel that same way!. . .
4 posted on 09/21/2001 5:29:39 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP (Please Support President Bush! ! !)

To: JohnHuang2, Alamo-Girl, anniegetyourgun, kattracks, RoseofTexas, SheLion, Susangirl, Snow Bunny
Check this out!
5 posted on 09/21/2001 5:31:13 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: Republican Wildcat, Howlin, Fred Mertz, .30Carbine, Uff da, sungirl, 68-69TonkinGulfYatchClub
Check this out!
6 posted on 09/21/2001 5:31:48 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

No talk of the "root causes" of terrorism, however. No attempt to "explain" or "understand" Osama Bin Laden; none of the numbingly stupid geopolitical psychobabble pervasive among academia and the media elite.

Right on. Are you listening Pat Buchanan?

Let's Roll.

7 posted on 09/21/2001 5:36:23 AM PDT by InterceptPoint

Good two cents :-)
8 posted on 09/21/2001 5:43:14 AM PDT by Hugh Akston

To: MeeknMing,JohnHuang2,joanie-f,snopercod,Jim Robinson,Lazamataz,JeanS,harpseal
I believe that you'll find that his speech was loaded with trouble for you.

His plan for an Office of Homeland Security is utterly unnecessary and a waste of resources.

He is not responding to the actual requirements for our defense, as he should be.

We do not need, a Ministry of State Security, which is what he has proposed, but which is easily the core weapon by which bureaucrats wield fearsome coercion upon the people.

The country's troubles, with regard to defense, are not new.

We are not in a new kind of war.

Piracy, which is what we have lazily come to refer to now as "terrorism," is as old as the seas. Piracy is NOT what people think it is from some movies about hidden treasures.

We have fought pirates and won, against them, wherever they have hidden out, even in the instances near or upon our shores.

Right now, we need to gear up the defense infrastructure which we have. We need money to support the airline and airfrieght businesses, because in wartime they become part of our material air transport command --- they really do become part of the military.

We need to get the travel and transport back up on its feet and then more, with requirements to multiply such operations security.

That security is something which is a job for the War Department.

The War Department, by the way, is still the Constitutional "umbrella" under which the government has the power to affect martial power. The Constitution does not provide for an alternative under some marketable title of bureaucracy which currently sounds pleasing because that title of the moment infers in the public's own thinking, that "something is being done about it!"

To wit: The President does not have the authority and cannot be granted it without a Constitutional Amendment, to establish what he proposes.

As much as we desire a demonstration of leadership, please consider that the core of our land is in the blessings of our Liberty and Constitution. But if you abandon them, no "leader" can correct the tyranny which will unleash itself upon our people ... with our having to result to warfare as in the Amerian Revolution.

The politically-correct thought police which saturate "the left" in this country, just had their wildest dreams made true last night, as President Bush gave them --- in an extra-Constitutional moment --- the office and tentacles they've wished for, so that they could direct our lives as subjects of the state.

9 posted on 09/21/2001 5:44:05 AM PDT by First_Salute

Thank you, thank you, my friend =^)

As for that Mustang -- let me tell you, I'm proud Mustang fan..hehe. I owned a beautiful, Candy Apple red '66, borg warner t-10 equipped, four-on-the-floor G.T., with the four-barrel carb...she ran like a beaut.

10 posted on 09/21/2001 5:45:48 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: Hugh Akston
Thank you, my friend =^)
11 posted on 09/21/2001 5:46:42 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: Hugh Akston
Now I'll have to run off and get some sleep -- been up all night..catch ya later, my friend.
12 posted on 09/21/2001 5:47:17 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: MeeknMing; JohnHuang2
Thanks, John.
13 posted on 09/21/2001 5:54:07 AM PDT by anniegetyourgun

He is the right man, at the right time. President Bush has made us proud again and has grown before our very eyes. We watched greatness last night.
14 posted on 09/21/2001 6:26:17 AM PDT by Peach

Preferred Approach
Military action only vs those responsible 24%
Broader war against terrorism 63
No military action 6

Weighing Risks
Which creates a greater risk of further terrorism?
Taking military action (8/90) 15%
NOT taking military action 73

*singing*
All we are say-ing,
is give war a chance...

NaW.
(Let's roll!...)

15 posted on 09/21/2001 6:38:19 AM PDT by SodiumWarthog

To: SodiumWarthog
*singing*
All we are say-ing, NaW.
(Let's roll!...)

I love it! ;-)

16 posted on 09/21/2001 6:56:43 AM PDT by MeekOneGOP
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Thanks for your two cents, John.
17 posted on 09/21/2001 8:19:37 AM PDT by Fred Mertz

BTTT!!!

Thanks, MeenMing!

18 posted on 09/21/2001 8:26:45 AM PDT by Uff Da
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Unequivocally, this speech was, far and away, the very best I've heard this President deliver.

I think this was the best speech I've heard ANYONE deliver.

2 cents were outstanding as always!

19 posted on 09/21/2001 8:55:31 AM PDT by mombonn

To: MeeknMing, JohnHuang2
Thanks for the ping, MnM! John, EXCELLENT two cents there!

Transcript of GWB's speech

We will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail.

20 posted on 09/21/2001 10:27:26 AM PDT by SusanUSA
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-48 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson