Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

I'm Thinking of Buying a Handgun --- Suggestions???

Posted on 09/26/2001 8:04:00 PM PDT by mn-bush-man

I have been a hunter for years, but now that I'm out of the folks' house and have a family of my own, I am serious about acquiring a handgun for my home protection. I don't know a lot about handguns, so I am curious if any of you have any suggestions. I'm on a bit of a budget, so try to keep it in the $300ish range. Thanks!

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-174 next last

1 posted on 09/26/2001 8:04:00 PM PDT by mn-bush-man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: mn-bush-man
Sorry, forgot -- If you could suggest the best place to buy, I would appreciate it too! Thanks!
2 posted on 09/26/2001 8:04:51 PM PDT by mn-bush-man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Have you ever fired a handgun is my first question? Then I might be able to answer your other question with my opinion a little bit better.
3 posted on 09/26/2001 8:07:08 PM PDT by Nuke'm Glowing

I would suggest an HK but it will cost more than $300.
4 posted on 09/26/2001 8:07:10 PM PDT by Free the USA

Spend the extra money, and buy a .40 caliber glock.
5 posted on 09/26/2001 8:08:34 PM PDT by Dallas

Screw a handgun. If your looking for family protection, nothing says "I love you honey" like a Mosberg pump shotgun! If the pump sound doesn't scare the crap out of a intruder, the blast will definately take the crap out of them. If your going to buy one, I suggest buying from a seller in the newspaper classifieds or someone you know. Buypass the 5 day waiting period and FBI background check!
6 posted on 09/26/2001 8:09:41 PM PDT by Bommer

You need to go try out a few different ones and figure out what you are most comfortable with.

The first gun that you buy will probably not be your last though :)

I agree that for home defense, the best option is a shotgun. So, you should really evaluate what you are going to use the gun for, etc. before making a decision.

7 posted on 09/26/2001 8:11:24 PM PDT by TexRef

First rule is to get something you feel comfortable with and which fits your hand. Go to a range that lets you actually fire a number of models. Or borrow them from friends. It is tough to make a decision hefting just half a dozen models in the shop.

I like a little .22 model called the Peacemaker. I can practice using cheap rounds. When I'm after something with more knock-down power, I just change to the magnum cylinder and use hollow-points. The recoil (and different feel from shooting the cheap rounds) is negligible.

Some people call the .22 a wimp gun. But the knock-down power on magnum hollow-points is nearly equal to a .38. The fact that I'm comfortable with it and can shoot the necks of bottles at 20-30 yards will give me more advantage in a situation with a crook picking up a .45 for the first time. That, and the fact that it fits neatly under a car seat, in a CCW holster or glove compartment also makes it more likely you will actually have it with you if it is needed.

8 posted on 09/26/2001 8:12:13 PM PDT by Vigilanteman

To: Dallas
Spend the extra money, and buy a .40 caliber glock.

I'd second that for a novice, and add 9mm since the new bullets such as Hydra-Shok and Gold Dot are more effective. The new Kahr pistols are looking very promising if you want a real compact piece. You'll be hard-pressed to find top quality for $300.

9 posted on 09/26/2001 8:13:15 PM PDT by FlyVet
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I like Rugers. They are very reliable, and very reasonably priced. I have 4 of various calibers, and never had any problems. Might not be the most stylish gun, but I have no complaints.
10 posted on 09/26/2001 8:13:28 PM PDT by danielobvt

Buy a Beretta 9mm. They are fairly popular so they tend not to be too expensive and they are of great quality.

Buy it out of the paper or over the Internet from an idividual! Don't give the Fed's a chance to put your name in a non-deleted database. I respect gun shops, but they have been corralled into servitude by the BATF B*st*rds.

11 posted on 09/26/2001 8:13:28 PM PDT by keithtoo

It's no contest. Any version of the .45ACP 1911 government models. Nothing stirs a sudden desire in a bad guy to go straight like staring down the barrel of 80 years of US military history.
12 posted on 09/26/2001 8:13:56 PM PDT by Mr. Lucky

To: FlyVet
bump for followup.
13 posted on 09/26/2001 8:15:56 PM PDT by Diddle E. Squat
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

For home protection a 12 guage shotgun is outstanding. Riot configuration with an eighteen inch barrel and an extension magazine gives you seven rounds. Number 4 buckshot is ideal for the load. Mossberg, Remington, H&K, pump, or semi-auto are the other options you have.

Look at what is available and make your choice. Then Practice, Practice, Practice.

14 posted on 09/26/2001 8:16:19 PM PDT by TEXASPROUD

To: Nuke'm Glowing
Wow, thanks for all the great answers so far!

The only handgun shooting I have done is with a .22/.22 magnum winchester(?) six shooter. I hated it - clumsy, awkward, and not very accurate. I would like something with a little more zip than a .22.

If need be, I can spend more than $300 - especially if it means getting a lot more for my money!

15 posted on 09/26/2001 8:17:32 PM PDT by mn-bush-man
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

CZ-75 or EAA Witness in .40 or .45, feels like a Hi-Power only more so. The DA Browning would have designed. And you can carry it cocked and locked if that is your bent.
16 posted on 09/26/2001 8:18:11 PM PDT by Lee Enfield

I keep a loaded 12ga winchester pump(with plug removed)and a S&W 357mag W/hollowpoint ammo. I use BB shot in the 12. I keep the pistol under lock and key due to kids, but the 12 stays where I can get my hands on it, along with a Maglite. I feel secure...
17 posted on 09/26/2001 8:18:14 PM PDT by Cold Heat

To: Dallas
I agree, Glocks are good. Mine is a 45ACP. But if keeping the price around $300 is important, than a 4" Taurus in 38 Special, 357 Magnum or 44 Special is a good option.
18 posted on 09/26/2001 8:18:55 PM PDT by cayuga
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Go with a revolver. It's simple and easy to use. If your wife is going to use it, get at least a 6 inch barrel to make it easier to shoot (less wrist snap). Get 38 caliber or 357 that can shoot 38 caliber light loads (no need to go through walls).

I wouldn't recommed a semi auto if your wife is going to use it because small caliber rounds can jam the gun if the hand isn't firm enough (energy goes into moving the arm/wrist instead of ejecting the round). High caliber rounds don't generally have the jamming problem but the gun is heavier.

19 posted on 09/26/2001 8:19:50 PM PDT by tbeatty

To: Vigilanteman
I agree buy a shotgun. Unless your going to carry go with the most most stopping power and accuracy available... a shotgun. If you are going to get a handgun and know someone who has an FFL (federal firearms license) then you might want to browse the shotgun news where many new and used handguns are advertised at reasonable prices. It would give you an idea of what to pay at the very least. The person with the ffl will have to assist you with the ordering but you can save a boatload of money. A reasonably priced but well made handguns include the makarov which fires a 9x18 round. It's a smaller round and not a lot of stopping power but a good size for carrying. Another is the CZ52, a czech made military pistol that shoots a 7.62..25 a very hot round. Both of these go under 200$. You will want to look for these at a gun show. Otherwise a .45 seems hard to beat massive stopping power, though only holds 7 rounds. Advice on this subject is very opionated but your making the right move by at least researching!. Get lessons if you do purchase..at least from a buddy or something. You want to be competent.
20 posted on 09/26/2001 8:20:11 PM PDT by ottersnot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-174 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson