Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Take terrorist's rights, not ours!
WorldNetDaily.com ^ | Friday, September 28, 2001 | Gary Aldrich

Posted on 09/28/2001 2:51:38 AM PDT by JohnHuang2

Some are offering, without being asked, to trade in more liberties in return for the perception of safety. The trouble is, these people wish to give away my liberties, and I strongly object because my liberties are protected by the Constitution. I like my rights and I want to keep them.

Suggesting draconian changes to our liberties is Tony Blankley, Newt Gingrich's former assistant and now columnist for the Washington Times. He suggested in a recent column that the terrorists may have more horrific surprises in store for us, based on comments made by former Soviet Union officials who claim that nuclear bombs can be secreted in briefcases, and that some of these briefcases may be missing. He also reminds us that terrorists may use biological or chemical weapons of mass destruction in various ways to kill us.

The trouble with these pronouncements is that some of us have been sounding warnings about these threats for years, but the U.S. government has done nothing substantial to eliminate them. There is only one remedy for serious terrorist threats to this nation, and it is – and continues to be – a military response.

Mr. Blankley recalls that President Lincoln suspended civil liberties during the Civil War, but admits that none know for certain whether that helped protect the Union or not. Finally, Mr. Blankley suggests that Congress should pass legislation that gives President Bush the authority to suspend the writ of habeas corpus, and to also do serious damage to the Fourth Amendment against unreasonable search and seizure. Mr. Blankley writes, "Such a benefit is well worth the cost of a temporary suspension of our civil liberties."

No, Mr. Blankley, it is not. Allow me to tell you what we should do instead. First, Americans should have a little more confidence in our highly energized FBI, CIA, military intelligence and law enforcement agencies. They are finally on the case, and the president is giving them the full support they need. Thousands of them are working night and day and sleep in the hallways of their agencies to identify and round up as many of these terrorists and witnesses as possible. Already, the FBI has detained more than 400 – and has a list of suspects that number more than 700 that is growing by the day. They will do a good job of ridding our neighborhoods of these vermin.

Second, the U.S. military is on the case – and moving to many points around the globe to do what they always do best: destroy threatening buildings and people – after all, that's what we pay them to do. Hopefully they will find Osama bin Laden soon, and vaporize him and his followers, or anyone else who might have the bad luck to be in the same 100-mile radius.

Americans do not care about the rights of terrorists. What will bring smiles to their faces will be hot fire and bomb concussions. But they also care a lot about their constitutional rights and liberties.

Americans know a knee-jerk reaction from real action, and President Bush has set us upon a course that I believe most Americans want. Taking away more of our rights is, without a doubt, an impulsive reaction and we don't have time for worthless exercises. I doubt you can find two people in all of America who would blame an FBI agent for forgetting to read a known terrorist his rights, if it meant that we could get all these vermin off our streets.

Sometimes you don't need a book or a new law to figure out what needs to be done, and I believe this is one of those times.

Suggesting there is a legal remedy to our problem does nothing but give ammunition to the peaceniks who think that indictments and arrests, and long, drawn-out trials are the answer. Trials will not bolster our national security. We don't need more lawyering – we need more soldiering.

Terrorists are not impressed with our paperwork, so let's get on with what we have to do – we must kill them.

There has been a presumption that arresting terrorists and reading them their rights is the correct approach because it shows the terrorists how "nice" we are. The liberal theory is that terrorists will respond in kind. We have investigated, indicted and arrested terrorists for years. Their response to our fairness was September 11, 2001.

Here's a suggestion: Suspend the rights of the terrorists, and then Americans will not have to be concerned about habeas corpus nor the loss of their Fourth Amendment, nor any other right that is granted to us with our citizenship. These terrorists are not American citizens, and if they have fraudulently obtained U.S. citizenship to further their deadly conspiracy, then they are spies!

Needless to say, everyone knows what we do with spies in a time of war. So, Mr. Blankley, offer to suspend their rights, not ours.

TOPICS: Editorial; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:

1 posted on 09/28/2001 2:51:38 AM PDT by JohnHuang2
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: JohnHuang2
Great article, thanks! I heard Carter's former Atty General on Bob Grant this week saying our Constitution doesn't protect non-citizens, interesting concept. He had an editorial in the WSJ this week about this.
2 posted on 09/28/2001 2:56:58 AM PDT by Citizen Soldier
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

we must kill them.

The most important phrase in the article.

3 posted on 09/28/2001 3:11:26 AM PDT by NoControllingLegalAuthority

Good article. Amazing that Blankley would call for a police state. He used to be a fine columnist.
4 posted on 09/28/2001 3:13:09 AM PDT by Inspector Harry Callahan

America Up In Arms

....9-11-2001
Charlotte, N.C., firefighter Rich Bellina
among those getting in the spirit with tattoos.

5 posted on 09/28/2001 3:25:04 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

To: Citizen Soldier
Sorry, but I believe that the rights protected by the Constitution SHOULD only cover US citizens. We can and should extend those protections to non-citizens AS A COURTESY, while they are in this country, but I fully believe that such courtesy can and should be withdrawn during a time of crisis like this.
6 posted on 09/28/2001 3:44:03 AM PDT by Wonder Warthog
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Ann Coulter also did a column on this. The key is that, while persons who are not citizens nor permanent residents have the same rights to their lives, liberty and property that the rest of us do, they don't have an enforceable legal right to be here. Thus, you can't murder a non-citizen and say "hey, he wasn't protected," but the government can revoke his visa and send him packing.

It might come to that, too. The reason terrorists encamp and train in the Middle East is that they're Middle Easterners, and the surrounding populations both tolerate them and conceal them among their numbers. To the extent that we have concentrations of Middle Easterners within our borders, terrorists can hide among us, too. One response is to track down every Middle Easterner who doesn't yet have at least permanent-resident status and expel them all.

Most deportees wouldn't deserve it, but those are correctable problems to be addressed another time. Right now, we have a nation of 280 million mostly innocent Americans to defend and a war to prosecute. Let's hope that war is over someday, and that we can win it with means less terrible than the nuclear annihilation of several hundred million mostly innocent non-Americans.

Freedom, Wealth, and Peace,
Francis W. Porretto
Visit the Palace Of Reason: http://palaceofreason.com

7 posted on 09/28/2001 4:29:08 AM PDT by fporretto

Comment #8 Removed by Moderator

To: BYOB Nuke Rally
You're quite a card.
9 posted on 09/28/2001 4:43:31 AM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Comment #10 Removed by Moderator

"I heard Carter's former Atty General on Bob Grant this week saying our Constitution doesn't protect non-citizens, interesting concept. He had an editorial in the WSJ this week about this."

Supreme Court ruled in a case in past couple years that a Nigerian illegal trying to sue Time-Life Books for employment discrimination lacked standing to sue - simply because he, as an illegal alien, had no right to work in the U.S. It's long-settled law that illegals don't have the constitutional rights of American citizens.

It's time to deport all Arab and Moslem aliens - legal and illegal. What comes first to "our" government anyway - the right of the overwhelming majority of U.S. residents (native-born Americans) to live in a society that is free as well as safe, or some (imaginary) "right" of aliens from hostile societies to live among us at all while their home societies attack us in the continental U.S.?

Local INS phone numbers for reporting Arab illegal aliens

11 posted on 09/28/2001 5:10:26 AM PDT by glc1173@aol.com

Illegals coming from Mexico into Cochise County, Arizona Sept. 23 were detained for Border Patrol by a couple of American civilians. With help of Mexican Consulate, a civil rights lawsuit has been filed against the detainers. 10 middle eastern illegals also caught in same county a few days previous. Our border control has been a joke for years- hope government decides to take this situation seriously.
12 posted on 09/28/2001 5:52:42 AM PDT by Re-electNobody

! I heard Carter's former Atty General on Bob Grant this week saying our Constitution doesn't protect non-citizens, interesting concept.

Isn't this obvious? It may not be politically correct, at the moment, but it's so obvious that only the most intellectual and politically correct would miss it. The Constitution was written to guard the rights of American citizens. I'm afraid that now it is used to guard the rights of malevolent non-citizens who are here to do harm in the very country that gives them freedoms they would never be able to enjoy in their homelands.

13 posted on 09/28/2001 6:51:41 AM PDT by ChocChipCookie

It's time for you to go away now, little one.
14 posted on 09/28/2001 6:53:04 AM PDT by ChocChipCookie
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

Crude remarks like yours don't help the situation any.
16 posted on 09/28/2001 8:37:37 AM PDT by asneditor
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson