Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

U. Connecticut professor works on time machine
U-WIRE ^ | 9-28-2001 | Andrew Chemistruck & Courtney Hickson

Posted on 09/28/2001 7:45:28 AM PDT by Cagey

STORRS, Conn. -- A University of Connecticut theoretical physics professor is working on the key to traveling back in time. According to Ronald Mallett, the solution is simpler than traveling through a rotating black hole or an unstable wormhole.

"I have been focused on creating a time machine ever since I was 10 years old, when my father died from a heart attack at the age of 33," Mallett said. "Ever since then, it has been my goal to construct a time machine to go back and warn my father of what is about to happen to him."

Mallett's theory uses laser light that is forced to circulate in one continuous loop by using mirrors or fiber optics. In the center a single spinning particle would be placed, such as a neutron. The particle would be dragged around in empty space and moving it away from the center could send it into the past.

According to Mallett, the device could create an effect that would be similar to stirring cream into a cup of coffee. The disturbance created in the coffee by stirring is similar to the effects created by Mallett's laser device.

"The theory is that when the machine is turned on and runs for a day, a person can step into the machine and return to the day before," Mallett said. "Hence, a person can travel back from the future to any time in the past, but not past before the time machine was turned on."

"[Mallett's theory] is perfectly consistent [with Einstein's Theory of General Relativity], but if someone will be able to do it experimentally is another thing. It could be too hard to do. It could only work in physics or chemistry labs, but not on a life-size level, which is often the case," David Markowitz, a physics professor, said.

"The bottom line is that Mallett has found an exact solution to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity. He and others are trying to understand the consequences of his theory and I am trying to understand it myself," Winthrop Smith, a physics professor, said.

"It is an exciting theoretical development, but I am skeptical about any practical developments in the short run, but this does not mean that we should not work on it," Smith said.

Smith said it could be practical if someone comes up with a clever idea to modify the current design to make it cheaper to develop for experimentation.

According to William Stwalley, the head of the physics department, members of the Ultracold research group have been able to slow light down to the speed of a bike, which could make development of a Mallett device more practical than before.

"No experiments are definitely planned for this year, but I would not be surprised that there would be one by the end of the year," Stwalley said.

Under the currently defined rules of the universe, Mallett cannot travel back in time to save his father. He will continue to search for a way to travel through time, and the physics staff and students at UConn will be controlling the research for this new theory.

"I find all this new work quite exciting," Mallet said. "Being able to alter the past is a powerful tool and there are severe moral implications related to changing the past. I wonder if the people of the future will use time travel to alter their past, our present."

TOPICS: Culture/Society; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-102 next last
Mallett. The perfect name for this guy.
1 posted on 09/28/2001 7:45:28 AM PDT by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: 2Trievers
See if you can borrow this thing from your fellow Professor. I'll see you in 1964.
2 posted on 09/28/2001 7:47:52 AM PDT by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Cagey
"I wonder if the people of the future will use time travel to alter their past, our present."

Nice of him to prove his theory won't work.

3 posted on 09/28/2001 7:49:30 AM PDT by Wolfie

What if he goes back in time and gets killed? How will he invent his time machine?
4 posted on 09/28/2001 7:49:44 AM PDT by Jack Wilson

You think if we had Gary Hobson and his cat around on Sept. 10th the next day's events might have been averted? Its worth a thought.
5 posted on 09/28/2001 7:51:20 AM PDT by goldstategop
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Everything as we know it will change...we really know nothing about science...there is a ton of worthless knowledge on the planet and yet there is very little wisdom.

I hope this guy does it...that ought to screw up a few things...

6 posted on 09/28/2001 7:51:26 AM PDT by surfer

Steven Wright beat him to it. He said "I made instant coffee in the microwave, I think I went backwards in time"
7 posted on 09/28/2001 7:53:17 AM PDT by hometoroost

W A C K - O!!!
8 posted on 09/28/2001 7:53:36 AM PDT by jerod

To: hometoroost
HAhahaha! So true.

S W is my favorite comedian. Another one in the same vein. "I bought some powdered water, but I don't know what to add to it."

9 posted on 09/28/2001 7:58:06 AM PDT by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

Well, actually, this could have some interesting implications. Probably only at the quantum level, but even then it might be possible to send a signal. Wouldn't it be nice to know how a battle turned out...before you committed forces?
10 posted on 09/28/2001 8:00:28 AM PDT by neutrino (Neutrino)

To: Jack Wilson
One time when I was traveling at the speed of light, I turned my headlights on...I still don't know what happened...next thing I knew Clinton(i) was the POTUS.
11 posted on 09/28/2001 8:00:41 AM PDT by surfer
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

If this thing works, I'm stealing it and going back in time to the back seat of an old Ford where Virgina Kelley got knocked up. I'll see that this tragic act is stopped.
12 posted on 09/28/2001 8:01:12 AM PDT by doug from upland

To: doug from upland
But look at all the song parodies you'd never get to write, Doug. And you'd never be famous! Let the act in the back of that Ford go on. It woke us all up.
13 posted on 09/28/2001 8:03:44 AM PDT by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

This is from the Weekly World News, isn't it? Whatever, as long as it works!
14 posted on 09/28/2001 8:04:22 AM PDT by Revolting cat!

Time travel is impossible. If it were possible, someone in the future would have already invented it and come back to mess with us.
15 posted on 09/28/2001 8:09:04 AM PDT by aomagrat

Nice article, but science-fiction. Time travel is impossible. U of Connecticut should invest in something more feasible. Nice to dream though.
16 posted on 09/28/2001 8:10:46 AM PDT by PetroniDE

If he went back in time one day, would he be liable for an extra day of taxes?
17 posted on 09/28/2001 8:11:26 AM PDT by Tai_Chung

To: aomagrat
If it were possible, someone in the future would have already invented it and come back to mess with us.

You know, I didn't think this was possible until you mentioned that someone could come and mess with us.

18 posted on 09/28/2001 8:13:17 AM PDT by Cagey
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

I think Prof. Mallett had one too many hits of acid.
19 posted on 09/28/2001 8:14:33 AM PDT by Constitution Day

"When this baby hits 88 miles and hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t!" <-- Dr. Emmet Brown, Back to the Future
20 posted on 09/28/2001 8:16:09 AM PDT by Carlucci

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-102 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson