Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 153
Southern Baptists ending talks with Catholic Church ^ | 3/24/01 | AP

Posted on 10/01/2001 7:07:05 PM PDT by malakhi

The Neverending Story
An ongoing debate on Scripture, Tradition, History and Interpretation.

They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying, `Peace, peace,' when there is no peace. (Jeremiah 6:14)

Threads 1-50 Threads 51-100 Threads 101-150
Thread 151

The Neverending Story (The Christian Chronicles) -- Thread 152

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Miscellaneous
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-180 next last

1 posted on 10/01/2001 7:07:05 PM PDT by malakhi
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: angelo
Lurker bump
2 posted on 10/01/2001 9:20:37 PM PDT by conservonator
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: saradippity
Please, there is absolutely no evidence of Peter having a wife that was alive when Jesus called him. And don't tell me that even the Catholic Church does not deny it because in this case I think they may not have thought it was anything to hang their hat on because it did not matter. However I now think it probably does matter and I repeat there is no substantive evidence that he hung around with anybody but his mother-in-law. With respect to Corinthians 9;5 there is a difference of opinion between translations and the Douay-Rheims and the NAB both say the scripture reads women or sisters. I saw the Vulgate and it does not say uxor which I remember from Latin meant wife. So I will agree to disagree but I think I am correct and think you need to consider why if he had a wife she let her old mother get out of bed and "serve" the men. I"ve a good mind to call Patricia Ireland and the troops from NOW on those men right now. So there!!! Paul made no mistake. When he meant "wife" he said "wife". When he meant "sister" he said "sister". See 1 Cor. 7:14-15

14 For the unbelieving husband is consecrated through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is consecrated through her husband. Otherwise, your children would be unclean, but as it is they are holy.

15 But if the unbelieving partner desires to separate, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound. For God has called us to peace.

As to Peter. It is well known he was a rascal anyway.

The Douay-Rheims does play word games with the word "wife", using instead:

1 Cor. 9:

5 Have we not power to carry about a woman, a sister as well as the rest of the apostles and the brethren of the Lord and Cephas?

Carry about a woman???? What kind of woman????

Do you wonder why the Douay Bible is nearly extinct.

3 posted on 10/01/2001 9:49:28 PM PDT by OLD REGGIE

To: saradippity, JHavard, SoothingDave, Havoc, angelo
Hello boys & girls :)

My challenge is this: SHOW ME IN THE BIBLE WHERE THESE PROMINENT CATHOLIC TEACHINGS ARE FOUND.

Where in the Bible do we find Peter assuming and exercising the role of a Catholic pope?

Where does the Bible say the early churches treated Peter in a papal fashion?

Where does the Bible say that one man is the head of all churches?

Where does Bible say God established a special priesthood for the churches that is separate from the priesthood of the believers?

Where does the Bible describe the office of such priests in the early churches?

Where does the Bible say that New Testament priests are ordained after the order of Melchizedek?

Where in the Bible do we find a requirement that pastors be celibate?

Where does the Bible say the apostles passed on their authority through a succession?

Where does the Bible give standards for apostolic succession? There are standards for pastors and deacons, but where are the standards for an ongoing apostleship?

Where does the Bible describe nuns in the early churches?

Where in the Bible do we find anyone praying to Mary or to any other person other than God?

Where does the Bible call Mary the Mother of God?

Where does the Bible say that Mary is the Queen of Heaven?

Where in the Bible do we find the teaching that Mary is sinless?

Where in the Bible do we find the baptism of an infant who is too young to believe in Christ?

Where does the Bible teach us that the church can identify dead people as saints and can then pray to them?

Where does the Bible teach that a dead person can intercede for the living?

Where does the Bible teach about purgatory?

Where does the Bible teach that churches should use the bones of dead men in any type of religious manner?

Where does the Bible teach that the churches used indulgences?

Where in the Bible do we find even one example of a Catholic mass being conducted or even described? If Christ established the mass and if it is central to the Christian faith as Rome claims, why is there not one example of it in the book of Acts and the New Testament epistles?

Where in the Bible do we find Christians taking the Lord's supper by partaking of the bread alone without the wine or grape juice?

Where in the Bible does Paul or any of the early church leaders teach that there are seven sacraments?

Where in the Bible do we find the churches practicing the sacrament of confirmation?

Where in the Bible do we find the churches practicing any sort of extreme unction or last rites as a sacrament?

Where in the Bible do we find the prayer of the rosary?

Where in the Bible do we find that New Testament churches are to conduct elaborate rituals and ceremonies after the fashion of Rome?

Where in the Bible do we find that the headquarters for the church is to be in Rome?

So Catholics. Get out your trusty Bible and knock off all the spiderwebs. Then try to find Biblical proof for all the above challenges!

You can't do it can you? You know why? It ain't there! The catholic church has been making it up as they go along thru the years. You have been sold a load of false teaching, time is running short time for some soul searching, time to come out of the fog.

BigMack

4 posted on 10/01/2001 9:53:32 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

To: OLD REGGIE
Carry around a woman?Yeah.Mother-in-law,grandmother,cousin,aunt,old spinster neighbor,any female who would "wait on the men"or"serve"them probably would do.

You guys are really getting me disturbed with these roving,male chauvinist vagabonds. No wonder those dear old nuns threw off their habits once Vatican II let them start reading the Bible,they probably got as shocked as I am getting now that I am doing my own interpretations.

5 posted on 10/01/2001 10:05:24 PM PDT by saradippity
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

To: PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
Some of your questions are valid, and are challenging, and I'll leave them to the more scholarly out there. Plus, they've been answered many times, so I'm not going to add anything new I'm sure.

Roughly half of your questions are of the usual fundamentalist idiocy, the usual idol worship type stuff. I won't dignify that garbage.

Some of your questions seem to show some sort of utopian vision that the Church can only be what is found in the hundreds of pages of the NT, as if the Bible is a step by step operations management manual. Are you saying everything has to be the same as it was in 33 AD? I'm not talking the imortant, theological stuff. I'm talking about styles of prayer, liturgy, lay orders, nuns, etc. Why don't you go back to wearing sandles and a tunic and catching fish in the Sea of Galilee for 5 widow's mites a day, since apparently worship must remain as if a snapshot of the swingin' 30s....Zero-thirties that is.
6 posted on 10/01/2001 10:06:51 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: havoc, jhavard
Guys, sorry, I forget which one of you this should be directed at: Regarding only God being allowed to forgive sins, I think you might want to go back and read a Bible

(Jesus) said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit.
23 Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."
7 posted on 10/01/2001 10:09:03 PM PDT by Conservative til I die

To: Conservative til I die
Roughly half of your questions are of the usual fundamentalist idiocy, the usual idol worship type stuff. I won't dignify that garbage.

You can't do it can you? Prove me wrong! All you can do is attack. Put up or admit you are wrong.

BigMack

8 posted on 10/01/2001 10:19:42 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Roughly half of your questions are of the usual fundamentalist idiocy, the usual idol worship type stuff. I won't dignify that garbage. You can't do it can you? Prove me wrong! All you can do is attack. Put up or admit you are wrong.

Whoa! Settle down, Mad Dog! Listen, how many thousands of times do you have to be told that Catholics do not pray to statues, worship Mary, or pray to saints? 1,000 times is apparently enough, so why should 1,001 times cure you of your blindness?
9 posted on 10/01/2001 10:26:02 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

Some of your questions seem to show some sort of utopian vision that the Church can only be what is found in the hundreds of pages of the NT, as if the Bible is a step by step operations management manual. Are you saying everything has to be the same as it was in 33 AD? I'm not talking the imortant, theological stuff. I'm talking about styles of prayer, liturgy, lay orders, nuns, etc. Why don't you go back to wearing sandles and a tunic and catching fish in the Sea of Galilee for 5 widow's mites a day, since apparently worship must remain as if a snapshot of the swingin' 30s....Zero-thirties that is.

Catholic idiocy!

BickMack

10 posted on 10/01/2001 10:27:29 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain

Whoa! Settle down, Mad Dog! Listen, how many thousands of times do you have to be told that Catholics do not pray to statues, worship Mary, or pray to saints? 1,000 times is apparently enough, so why should 1,001 times cure you of your blindness?

Me not blind, you blind.

Answer the rest of the questions. You can't do it!

BigMack

11 posted on 10/01/2001 10:33:06 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 9 | View Replies]

Hey, you're the one that says if it can't be found in the Bible, then it must not exist (of course, the proper Christian etiquette for passing wind is not mentioned either, hence, there must be none). I assume that to mean you think we must live like they lived in the 1st Century.

PS - I'm not playing your game anyway. You're the one who seems to be relying on Sola Scriptura to stump me. Why should I care if you feel you've got me according to your own ground rules? Catholics don't rely on Scripture alone, so you saying "Find it in the Bible or else" is like speaking Sanskrit to me.
12 posted on 10/01/2001 10:34:10 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 10 | View Replies]

I'm not playing Sola Scriptura games. I don't believe in the Sola Scriptura nonsense, and I certainly don't believe in the comic-book, "It must be spelled out in the Bible in one verse in one concise clear statement or it doesn't exist" silliness either.

Many of the doctrines you're questioning are found in the Bible in kernel form, if not outright blatant terms, but apparently unless its on a third-grade level (i.e., "Then Jesus said, this is my Catholic Church with Peter as the Pope" or "And then we go to purgatory before Heaven"), you won't believe it anyway.

There's plenty of research out there. You go find it. I'm not covering for your intellectual laziness.
13 posted on 10/01/2001 10:38:57 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

PS - I'm not playing your game anyway. You're the one who seems to be relying on Sola Scriptura to stump me. Why should I care if you feel you've got me according to your own ground rules? Catholics don't rely on Scripture alone, so you saying "Find it in the Bible or else" is like speaking Sanskrit to me.

Not my rules, their God's, unlike your man made rules. You won't even try to answer them will you? You can't do it!

All you can give is what some man has told you.

BigMack

14 posted on 10/01/2001 10:43:35 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

Not my rules, their God's, unlike your man made rules.

OK, now be a good boy and fetch me the words "sola scriptura" out of the Bible. See ya in about, oooooooooh, a zillion years. Woops!
15 posted on 10/01/2001 10:47:36 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 14 | View Replies]

There's plenty of research out there. You go find it. I'm not covering for your intellectual laziness

More attacks, is that all you can do? Your the one who can't answer the questions!

BigMack

16 posted on 10/01/2001 10:48:45 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

OK, enough. I'm through playing the "Are too, Are not" games with you. Good night.
17 posted on 10/01/2001 10:52:37 PM PDT by Conservative til I die
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

OK, now be a good boy and fetch me the words "sola scriptura" out of the Bible. See ya in about, oooooooooh, a zillion years. Woops!

Catholic spin, answer a question with a question. Your the one playing games bud.

Answer the questions! You can't do it because they are not in the Bible, the catholic church made them up!

BigMack

18 posted on 10/01/2001 10:56:13 PM PDT by PayNoAttentionManBehindCurtain
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

Where does the Bible teach about purgatory?

According to the Catholic church, the concept of purgatory is implied throughout the NT. But the "teaching" that there is such a place where people go after death is only found in the apocrypha....in 2 Maccabees 12:43-46.

19 posted on 10/01/2001 11:00:45 PM PDT by hopefulpilgrim
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

Conservative, those questions posed by PayNoAttentionMan are not garbage, nor idiocy. He is searching the Scriptures for the basis of your Church's teachings. Isn't that a commedable thing? The church in Berea was praised for searching the scriptures to see if what they had been taught was in line with God's Word. Why are you opposed to that?

20 posted on 10/01/2001 11:07:02 PM PDT by hopefulpilgrim

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 161-180 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson