Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

O'Reilly Doing Devastating Expose on Cantor Fitzgerald Tonight
The O'Reilly Factor/Fox News | truthkeeper

Posted on 10/04/2001 5:42:56 PM PDT by truthkeeper

Did anyone watch O'Reilly's opening segment? He's exposing an awful story concerning the shabby treatment of surviving family members of Cantor Fitzgerald, the firm that lost 700 of the 1,000 employees in the attack on the towers.

His guests were one of the widows, Linda Fiori, and a writer named MacDonald of Forbes Magazine. The firm CEO, Howard Luttman (not sure about the pronunciation/spelling, maybe someone can correct), has been all over the airwaves crying and carrying on the past couple of weeks about how he is desperately trying to help the stricken families. (I personally saw him on Larry King a couple of weeks ago sobbing away.) The man has been begging for business and donations, saying he's pledging 25% of future business for the families. He presented them as a close-knit, devoted, and caring group; "we're like a family here."

Mrs. Fiore, however, revealed that she has never been contacted by Luttman, even after she called his house and spoke to his wife (or possibly the maid; in any event she was told "I'll have him call you back."). She hasn't received a dime of money from Cantor Fitzgerald, and not one person from the firm came to her husband's funeral, even after she sent the obituary to them. Furthermore, O'Reilly revealed that all paychecks had been stopped four days after the attack. It doesn't look like any money is forthcoming, not even the bonuses these people already earned. Mrs. Fiore was desperate, and said she's been entirely dependent upon her family and neighbors who have been giving her money. She stated, "I don't want a handout from Cantor Fitzgerald...I just want a pamphlet or information stating what they will be doing about the money." (My paraphrasing.)

O'Reilly was plainly disgusted. He asked the writer what kind of man this Luttman was, and her response was not very flattering. She said he took control of the company while the previous owner, Bernie Cantor, was dying. She added that, as a result, he was banned from his funeral. O'Reilly: "Okay, I'm getting the picture about this guy."

I can't tell you how bad this story made this Cantor Fitzgerald CEO look. You'd have to see it for yourself...it's quite an eye-opener. (Watch the rerun.)

TOPICS: Miscellaneous; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401-407 next last

1 posted on 10/04/2001 5:42:56 PM PDT by truthkeeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: truthkeeper
I saw it. The only other times I've ever seen O'Reilly as disgusted was when he talks about NAMBLA.
2 posted on 10/04/2001 5:46:33 PM PDT by Pokey78
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

His name is Luttnick
3 posted on 10/04/2001 5:47:19 PM PDT by habs4ever

Comment #4 Removed by Moderator

To: habs4ever
Thank you, I didn't quite catch it.
5 posted on 10/04/2001 5:49:23 PM PDT by truthkeeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Comment #6 Removed by Moderator

On the other hand, Luttnick just lost 700 employees, including his own brother. I don't think he has time to attend 700 funerals. There is no money coming in, and he said that right after 9-11 that families were calling wanting money. I feel for the families and I feel for Luttnick. He is only one guy. Have you ever tried to attend 700 funerals and call 700 people? I am sure there are two sides to every story.
7 posted on 10/04/2001 5:53:35 PM PDT by Hillary's Lovely Legs

To: Carol-HuTex
FOX NEWS Via the Internet - How to get it
8 posted on 10/04/2001 5:53:36 PM PDT by Hoosier Patriot
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

This Howard Luttnick character was on the tube asking for donations to something called the Cantor Fitzgerald Foundation the other nite. Anybody have any idea whether the families of his dead employees are the beneficiaries of this?
9 posted on 10/04/2001 5:53:47 PM PDT by laconic

To: ALL
O'Reilly is on his last segment with a philanthropist and he is bringing up this lady and this issue again. He's jumping all over the guy, saying "Who in the government is watching this money?" (Meaning the millions of dollars of donations to over 140 charitable organizations.) O'Reilly: "The people are not getting the money...THEY'RE NOT GETTING THE MONEY."

I think this is a bone O'Reilly is not going to be letting go of soon. He wants to know who is watching these private charities. (He did mention that Mrs. Fiori heard from the Red Cross today; apparently they will pay for the funeral.)

10 posted on 10/04/2001 5:54:33 PM PDT by truthkeeper
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

Buzz on the street is that Cantor Fitz is seriously shafting the families of the dead.

Everything from bonuses (most of a broker's annual compensation) to medical benefits (lots of families where the Cantor employee was the sole breadwinner and souce of coverage) has been put in suspended animation, with no communication or assurances.

Ugly sad and sick.

11 posted on 10/04/2001 5:54:48 PM PDT by NativeNewYorker

To: Hillary's Lovely Legs
I agree with you. This guy might be a lowlife, but certainly not for not attending 1 of 700 funerals. And how can he make paychecks when his entire firm has vanished?
12 posted on 10/04/2001 5:56:31 PM PDT by ambrose
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

I am sure there are two sides to every story.

I agree with you, HLL...which makes it all the more odd that he wouldn't want to present his side. Surely he would know how bad this must look.

13 posted on 10/04/2001 5:56:52 PM PDT by truthkeeper

This is at least the second time this has been raised. Once before, a news organization quoted a surviving spouse who complained of the same treatment.

It was sometime around 9/15 that I sent correspondance asking if they needed office space, since I had extra room that I could let them use for awhile. Figured if I helped them, then they could help the families, as Mr. Luttnick had so tearfully stated. No rent money was needed, and there was no catch. I just figured to help out.

To make a long story short, after the first interview, I withdrew the offer.

Never heard back from them...

14 posted on 10/04/2001 5:56:54 PM PDT by rit

Comment #15 Removed by Moderator

To: 2sheep; Prodigal Daughter; truebeliever9
Perhaps Howard hasn't hit bottom yet.

Mrs. Fiore was desperate, and said she's been entirely dependent upon her family and neighbors who have been giving her money.

Sigh, how can people become desperately broke so quickly?

16 posted on 10/04/2001 5:58:09 PM PDT by Thinkin' Gal

Luttnick is in a bind.He still has capital to run his biz, a lot fewer partners, and no one knows the tax ramifications of winding a lot of that up and paying off the families.Most brokers like that are LLP's with family trusts holding the voting stock, and who is really left to vote? The problem could that the lawyers are involved, and Luttnick could be faced with either: folding shop, or hiring more traders, etc, or seeking to be acquired.

Having seen a few investment firms implode over the partners divy up the cash, its not suprising there are probs.It gets real ugly , fast, in this business when bonus time arrives.However, there maybe more to this than meets the eye,and O'Reilly wouldn't go of half cocked, now would he?

17 posted on 10/04/2001 5:58:41 PM PDT by habs4ever
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

To: ThomasJackson
Lutnik's side of it
18 posted on 10/04/2001 5:59:23 PM PDT by hole_n_one
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 15 | View Replies]

I agree with you. I think the segment was a cheap shot by O'Reilly. I have seen him on television. Those are real tears. If he could act that well he should be in Hollywood. The ENTIRE company was wiped out. There is no revenue to continue paying. I also heard he leased an entire hotel for employees families to be near the site. Don't know about anybody else but O'Reilly has been getting on my nerves lately. Seems to be bending over backwards to be PC.
19 posted on 10/04/2001 5:59:41 PM PDT by WatchOutForSnakes

Friend of mine died in the attack. His widow asked us to contribute to the Cantor Fitzgerald fund. I did, but the company's website told us to direct it to the attention of Mrs. Lutnick. Ok Missy , what happened to my money?????
20 posted on 10/04/2001 5:59:42 PM PDT by lds23

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 401-407 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson