Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

Sales of shortwave radios surge
http://www.sfgate.com/ ^ | Thursday, October 4, 2001 | Eric Brazil, Chronicle Staff Writer

Posted on 10/04/2001 8:12:50 PM PDT by freedomnews

Edited on 04/13/2004 2:38:44 AM PDT by Jim Robinson. [history]

The global trauma caused by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks has spiked demand for shortwave radio service, much as it did during the 1991 Gulf War.

Although broadcasters are shifting to the Internet in nations with mature communications systems and downloading programs to FM stations via satellite, "shortwave is the old workhorse and warhorse," said Voice of American spokesman Joe O'Connell.

(Excerpt) Read more at sfgate.com ...

TOPICS: Constitution/Conservatism; Front Page News; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS:
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

1 posted on 10/04/2001 8:12:50 PM PDT by freedomnews
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: freedomnews
Shortwave listening sucks when a digital is employed. I'd love to ditch my cheapo and grab a Grundig WITH A DIAL. Great radios.
2 posted on 10/04/2001 8:18:40 PM PDT by Inspector Harry Callahan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Inspector Harry Callahan
Well, it depends on the quality of the receiver, of course, but I like my little Radio Shack DX-375. Not the greatest, but adequate, and it's nice to have the ability to save all my stations onto the keypad.
3 posted on 10/04/2001 8:23:26 PM PDT by B Knotts
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I miss the BBC broadcasts. I do hope they bring them back. Of course, after we'd listen to them for a while we were anchored out, we'd usually sound like a couple of Brits with Wisconsin accents.
4 posted on 10/04/2001 8:24:07 PM PDT by Catspaw

"And while it is regarded as an out-of-date, almost anachronistic means of communication in highly developed areas of the world, it is crucial for both VOA and the BBC." But SW broadcasting works! Still have a few around the house. Specially my "collins" R390-A I got a few years back. Old, has tubes but still is one of the best ever made!
5 posted on 10/04/2001 8:24:12 PM PDT by spinner55

My little plastic beauty is still "crystal clear". Only one little brown earplug, tho.
6 posted on 10/04/2001 8:24:33 PM PDT by spald

"And while it is regarded as an out-of-date, almost anachronistic means of communication in highly developed areas of the world, it is crucial for both VOA and the BBC." But SW broadcasting works! Still have a few around the house. Specially my "collins" R390-A I got a few years back. Old, has tubes but still is one of the best ever made!
7 posted on 10/04/2001 8:25:52 PM PDT by spinner55

To: B Knotts
That's what I have. A Radio Shack digital. Sure, the ability to store channels is nice and the portability has it's place also. But after experiencing an analog, digitals are secondary indeed. SW listening is great. I've only been at it a short while, having been introduced to it right here on FR.

Callahan

8 posted on 10/04/2001 8:31:55 PM PDT by Inspector Harry Callahan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

Dang, I've got one with a dial AND a place where a dial used to be - now it has a dial and a pair of needle-nosed pliers. Hey, I've been waiting all this time to get a hold of a digital shortwave... you mean to tell me I my little 1981 Radio-Shack special is better than a shiny new one?

If so, this means my Darling Hubby has to buy me a Kahr MK9 for my birthday instead of a new shortwave...

9 posted on 10/04/2001 8:36:01 PM PDT by dandelion

Does your digital have a dial? I love using the dial on the Sony 2010. The sound does not cut out when surfing around like on the comparable Grundig portables.
10 posted on 10/04/2001 8:39:15 PM PDT by John Farson
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

To: spinner55
Re: the Collins R-350a, I have one also, Its hard to beat the old dog. My first experience with it was in the Phillipines in 65 (Air Force), would listen to the Chris Noel radio show on AFRTS and the BBC, fond memories...
11 posted on 10/04/2001 8:40:44 PM PDT by ThomasPaine2000
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

I just bought a Grundig but I'm currently living in Australia. How do I find out about programing? What do you normally listen to?
12 posted on 10/04/2001 8:46:19 PM PDT by itwasntme

You might want to try this. Or get a reconditioned one here.
13 posted on 10/04/2001 8:51:53 PM PDT by real saxophonist

To: itwasntme
What do you normally listen to?

I'll answer your question with the very same link that got me interested in SW in the first place. Plenty of FReeper recommendations on programming right here.

Callahan

14 posted on 10/04/2001 8:54:02 PM PDT by Inspector Harry Callahan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

To: itwasntme
Try HERE,and HERE
15 posted on 10/04/2001 9:01:27 PM PDT by invenire
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

That's what I have. A Radio Shack digital. Sure, the ability to store channels is nice and the portability has it's place also. But after experiencing an analog, digitals are secondary indeed.

Digital tuning has the advantage of being exactly where you set it. With an old analog rec'r, it is impossible to figure out what frequency you're tuned to.

You may need a better digital rec'r than the RS rig you're using. BTW, the audio of small portable can be vastly improved by using stereo headphones, Walk-man style earbuds, or even an external speaker

Ham Radio Outlet in Salem has a fair selection of shortwave rec'rs, in addition to their usual ham equipment. You might want to check it out.

16 posted on 10/04/2001 9:17:43 PM PDT by longshadow

Yeah, I like the portability, too. I often listen while I'm in the barn, milking the goats.

No...seriously. :-)

I have a Zenith Trans-Oceanic (with tubes!), but there is something wrong with the output. :-(

I really need to get that thing fixed, somehow. I wouldn't know where to take it, though.

17 posted on 10/04/2001 9:21:32 PM PDT by B Knotts

Let me know if you ever need any advice on rigs. I've been at this hobby for over 30 years and know enough to tell you what to buy and what not to. I've been listening to Radio Pakistan in English off and on for the last 3 weeks and I'm telling you between that and VOIRI (Iran) it has been most interesting....
18 posted on 10/04/2001 9:27:37 PM PDT by Nuke'm Glowing

--shortwave radio is great! After listening to the great patriot no holds barred no sacred cows shows, going back to any of the am or fm gasbags is tame and medicore. I carry one with me all over while I am working around here, and got a way to carry it in the jeep and stick the antenna out the top and that even works sometimes. hehe heh tuning is sometimes an artform though, but it's worth it!
19 posted on 10/04/2001 9:30:26 PM PDT by zog

Lets assume web access is shut down. We know we can't reliably trust the major media networks. This has to be our free press outlet!
20 posted on 10/04/2001 9:32:49 PM PDT by Soul Citizen

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-40 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson