Topics · Post Article

Skip to comments.

The Ugly Side of Pacifism
NEWS MAX ^ | Wed/8/Oct. | David C. Stolinsky

Posted on 10/10/2001 6:54:57 AM PDT by MooCollins

The Ugly Side of Pacifism

David C. Stolinsky
Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2001
Pacifism is a noble ideal; the word means "making peace." Real pacifists are sensitive to human suffering and strive to mediate between hostile factions. But instead of using this active, idealistic approach, many who call themselves "pacifists" are merely indifferent — they stand aside, smugly looking down on humanity’s struggles. Rather than motivating them to action, their false pacifism is merely an excuse for inaction.

Pacifists used to come in two varieties. The first holds that all violence is wrong. Overcoming violent criminals often requires force, but strict pacifists reject this as unethical. They are unrealistic, but at least they are honest.

The second variety of pacifist allows some exceptions — especially horrible evil may be opposed with force if absolutely necessary. But these exceptions always seem to lie in the past. Pacifists in the 1930s opposed rearmament, despite the rise of Hitler, pointing out that no Genghis Khan was at the gates. Pacifists in the 1980s opposed rearmament, despite the growth of the Soviet empire, pointing out that no Hitler was on the horizon. Pacifists today oppose rearmament, despite the rise of global terrorism, pointing out that the Soviet empire is no more. That is, the exceptions are never relevant to the current problem — they aren’t really exceptions at all.

Recently, however, a third variety of pacifist has appeared. They hold that though all violence is wrong, defensive violence is actually worse that aggressive violence. Instead of being passive bystanders in humanity’s struggles, these pacifists are forced by this bizarre belief to become active participants — but on the wrong side. Consider:

TOPICS: Culture/Society; Editorial
KEYWORDS:
Good One
1 posted on 10/10/2001 6:54:57 AM PDT by MooCollins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: Bryan, Victoria DelSoul, Luis Gonzalez, Harpseal, Edreform, Murcuria, William wallace
FYI
2 posted on 10/10/2001 6:56:05 AM PDT by MooCollins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: MooCollins
“A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”
--John Stuart Mill

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is to have good men do nothing."
--Frederick Douglas

"Strict pacifism in the face of evil is nothing more than cowardice."
--Jarhead

Semper Fidelis

3 posted on 10/10/2001 7:19:32 AM PDT by Jarhead_22

To: Jarhead_22; MooCollins
"There is one certain means by which I can be sure never to see my country’s ruin — I will die in the last ditch."
— Prince William of Orange.
4 posted on 10/10/2001 7:27:31 AM PDT by Bryan
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

An exellent article. Those who beat their sowrds into plowshares will pull those plows for those who keep their swords.

Stay well - Stay safe - Stay armed - Yorktown

5 posted on 10/10/2001 7:27:47 AM PDT by harpseal

To: Jarhead_22
Good quotes, bro, but Edmund Burke said that long before Frederick Douglass did.
6 posted on 10/10/2001 7:32:12 AM PDT by wku man

To: Bryan
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here!"
--Captian John Parker, Lexington Militia, at Lexington Green, April 19, 1775.

“Hoka hey.” (Today is a good day to die.)
--Crazy Horse

"I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country – Victory or Death."
--William Barrett Travis, at the Battle of The Alamo

“They may kill me, but there will always be more like me.”
--Ed Chavez

"As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses except with his life."
--From the Scots "Declaration of Arbroath," 1320

Sorry to keep dumping quotes in here, but I've amassed quite a collection of statements by men more eloquent than myself, and rather than a vain attempt at paraphrasing, I thought I'd provide some of the originals.

Semper Fidelis.

7 posted on 10/10/2001 7:35:59 AM PDT by Jarhead_22
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 4 | View Replies]

To: wku man
Thank you. I took what I posted from a much longer quote attributed to Douglas:

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. A despotic tyrannical system could not exist without the ignorance of the people, and all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is to have good men do nothing."
--Frederick Douglas

Semper Fidelis

8 posted on 10/10/2001 7:41:57 AM PDT by Jarhead_22
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

Don't be sorry, just keep em commin......

I'm cuttin N Pastin as fast as I can...

9 posted on 10/10/2001 7:44:43 AM PDT by MooCollins
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

The "ugly side" is we don't know if it works and no one wants to find out -- since the downside is unthinkable
10 posted on 10/10/2001 7:48:29 AM PDT by The Raven

Comment #11 Removed by Moderator

``War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.''

- John Stuart Mill

12 posted on 10/10/2001 8:13:02 AM PDT by Liberal Classic

To: All
Great post and great quotes. Please give me more!!!

Let's Roll!

13 posted on 10/10/2001 8:20:25 AM PDT by dpa5923

Good article.

There is yet another variety of pacifist not mentioned in the article: the heavily-armed pacifist. ("Walk softly and carry a large-caliber handgun.")

14 posted on 10/10/2001 8:30:01 AM PDT by Logophile

Quite simply an outstanding article. Thanks for the post. I'm saving this one.
15 posted on 10/10/2001 8:30:29 AM PDT by kidd

To: Liberal Classic
Thank you. My "notable quotes.doc" file has been updated.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who was actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who knows at the best the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."
--Theodore Roosevelt, Asst. Police Commissioner Of New York City

“They will either be at our throat or at our feet.”
--Winston Churchill

“Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.”
--Ferdinand Foch, Battle of the Marne

”When they kick at your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?”
--The Clash, “The Guns of Brixton”

"The Marine Corps does more to promote world peace than all the Ben&Jerry's ice cream ever made."
--P. J. O'Rourke

"When men find they must inevitably perish, they willingly resolve to die with their comrades and with their arms in their hands."
--Flavius Vegetius Renatus, AD 378

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
--Winston Churchill

"There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes, and the other is the Bill of Rights."
--Major General Smedley D. Butler, USMC

Semper Fidelis

16 posted on 10/10/2001 9:04:57 AM PDT by Jarhead_22
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

BUMP - excellent article
17 posted on 10/10/2001 9:09:17 AM PDT by Hegewisch Dupa

"The Marine Corps does more to promote world peace than all the Ben&Jerry's ice cream ever made."

--P. J. O'Rourke

Thank you, that's one for mine. :)

18 posted on 10/10/2001 10:47:10 AM PDT by Liberal Classic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 16 | View Replies]

A five year old article that is still relevant.
BTTT.

19 posted on 11/22/2006 5:31:12 AM PST by kidd

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson