Skip to comments.

NASA's Controversial Gravity Shield Experiment Fails to Produce
space.com ^ | 10 Oct 01 | Jack Lucentini

Posted on 10/10/2001 12:45:11 PM PDT by RightWhale

NASA's Controversial Gravity Shield Experiment Fails to Produce

By Jack Lucentini

Special to SPACE.com posted: 11:50 am ET

10 October 2001

After a second round of tests, NASA researchers have failed to detect signs that a machine can weaken gravity’s pull.

But they plan to continue the research – shocking some mainstream physicists, who call it junk science.

The researchers say a device that loosens the clutch of gravity, sometimes called a gravity shield, may be the only way to enable human spacecraft to blast off to other star systems.

But the research lies on the fringe of accepted science. Some of its own proponents admit it flies against virtually every established law of physics.

Other scientists go further.

"Good heavens. This is incredible," said Robert L. Park, director of the Washington, D.C. office of the American Physical Society, upon learning that the NASA researchers haven’t given up. "I mean, every physicist I know – and they must have some on the staff there – has told me how absurd this research was."

The space agency has spent about five years and at least $600,000 on the project.

In a paper presented at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ Joint Propulsion Research Conference in Salt Lake City in July, the researchers called their latest tests "inconclusive."

The experiments utilized a device made from a superconductor, a ceramic in which, at certain temperatures, electric current can flow utterly freely.

The study was inspired by the work in the early 1990s of a Russian scientist, Eugene Podkletnov. He claimed to have measured a weakening of Earth’s gravity by 2 percent near a specialized superconductor spinning in a magnetic field.

"Our objective was to design, construct and implement a discriminating experiment which would put these observations on a more firm footing," said the NASA paper. "No conclusion at this time can be made."

The researchers said several factors had hampered the experiment. One was that the balance, for measuring mass, didn’t work at very low temperatures.

It’s worth trying again with an improved setup, said the NASA paper, whose lead author was Glen A. Robertson, research scientist at the agency’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. It was at least the second time the agency has tried but failed to replicate Podkletnov’s results.

The researchers didn’t return phone calls early this week. But Randall Peters, a consultant to the project and a physics professor with Mercer University, Macon, Ga., said in an interview that the effort is "worthwhile," despite the difficulties.

David Drachlis, a spokesman for the NASA center, added that the project continues.

What has dogged the research, experts say, is that Podkletnov failed to adequately document his findings. Podkletnov declined to comment for this article.

"Antigravity" research has provoked debate for years.

The idea violates a bedrock principle of physics – conservation of energy – that says you can’t create energy from nothing. It defies this edict because it implies you could lift something without spending the necessary "price" in energy normally required. Then, by dropping it, you could give it an energy boost equaling the full "regular" price.

Yet several considerations make the concept intriguing to some.

First is a rather striking apparent coincidence: Podkletnov’s findings appeared to match phenomena earlier predicted independently by a University of Alabama at Huntsville scientist, Ning Li.

Second, many renowned physicists believe nature has an underlying unity, by which all its forces are fundamentally connected.

This means electromagnetism and gravity are somehow linked. The "gravity shield" could conceivably operate at the bridge between the two forces, interacting with both.

The NASA group suggested the link is a recently discovered, exotic form of energy, "zero-point fluctuations." This consists of minute particles that flicker in and out of existence in what we normally think of as empty space.

TOPICS: Extended News; Government; News/Current Events
KEYWORDS: electrogravitics; podkletnov
Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-112 next last
Disband NASA. Either give it something useful to do or shut it down. NASA has no reason to continue.
1 posted on 10/10/2001 12:45:11 PM PDT by RightWhale
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

To: RightWhale
Anti-gravity!

Democrats have hats that do that.

2 posted on 10/10/2001 12:48:42 PM PDT by Deep_6
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

To: Deep_6
It must be possible. How else do you explain the UFO's in my backyard at night?
3 posted on 10/10/2001 12:50:07 PM PDT by imd102
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

I actually think this research is OK. I know, its sounds stupid, but what if... They should get the measuring device fixed and do a final run, if that shows nothing, then the project should be terminated.
4 posted on 10/10/2001 12:52:35 PM PDT by Paradox

The body of science supporting this derives from work done a century ago. Among other things that work involved the Theory of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.

The whole thing is in the math, and is well worth pursuing. In fact, the first nation to discover how to do it will dominate the Earth for a very, very long time. We have to get there first. One might imagine Osama Bin Laden having such a discovery at his disposal.

5 posted on 10/10/2001 12:53:17 PM PDT by muawiyah

the only way to enable human spacecraft to blast off to other star systems.

Human spacecraft.  As opposed to the Vorlons, I suppose.

6 posted on 10/10/2001 12:57:23 PM PDT by gcruse

This has already been produced by Diet Smith Industries in the private sector.
7 posted on 10/10/2001 12:57:30 PM PDT by Willie Green

To: RightWhale; RadioAstronomer; Physicist; ThinkPlease; PatrickHenry; VadeRetro
junk science anti-gravity bump.
8 posted on 10/10/2001 1:00:42 PM PDT by longshadow

I think that you are being a little too hard on NASA, if this is possible, can you imagine the applications? The possible spacecraft that could be built.

No, I think it is worth pursuing, the possible knock-offs from the technolgy necessary to even experiment could have excellent commercial value.

And $600,000,000 is not much, when you consider the total budget...
9 posted on 10/10/2001 1:00:43 PM PDT by Aric2000

To: gcruse
"As opposed to the Vorlons, I suppose."

That was supposed to remain a secret, well don't be surprized if your neighbors cat gets vaporized!

10 posted on 10/10/2001 1:01:02 PM PDT by SERE_DOC
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

To: Physicist
pinging for an expert opinion ;)
11 posted on 10/10/2001 1:01:50 PM PDT by general_re

I saw the premier show of the new Enterprise series. I'm sure there is some sort of antigravity thing working to support that new Vulcan chick.
12 posted on 10/10/2001 1:03:11 PM PDT by Ranger

To: general_re
Junk Science, right up there with N-Rays and Cold Fusion.
13 posted on 10/10/2001 1:06:54 PM PDT by Gordian Blade
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 11 | View Replies]

I'm not sure NASA is the right place for this study either. However, I believe it has merit. Has science advanced even to the point of understanding, to a fair degree, what causes gravity?
14 posted on 10/10/2001 1:07:19 PM PDT by Triple

To: all
Anti-gravity must be acheived... ASAP...

The private sector will get us there much faster than NASA, however...

15 posted on 10/10/2001 1:08:04 PM PDT by Ferris
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

U.S Air Force and NASA Work Closer on Strategic Space Control
16 posted on 10/10/2001 1:08:51 PM PDT by Cincinatus' Wife

To: Gordian Blade
So I figured, but the hows and whys are always edifying ;)
17 posted on 10/10/2001 1:10:38 PM PDT by general_re
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 13 | View Replies]

To: imd102

Next door neighbor a democrat?

18 posted on 10/10/2001 1:12:05 PM PDT by Deep_6
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 3 | View Replies]

This antigravity stuff is all based on the original work of
T Townsend Brown in the 40's and 50's, it would seem.

Understand please, most "scientists" are anal-retentive
and trying to please daddy (e.g.- their thesis advisor
or their physics teacher or whatever) so the beginning
of progress is to go AGAINST the scientific establishment.

Hats off to NASA for trying to break out of the mold...
I just hope it works.

Don't get me wrong - the skepticism of the scientific
community is what prevents the really weird stuff -
HOWEVER - the eccentric Trofim Lysenko DID get the
Russians looking at things in a different way, which
yielded an number of interesting scientific advances...

19 posted on 10/10/2001 1:13:09 PM PDT by chilepepper

VORLONS, Thats a mythical race,
Cremlock the Arnathian told me so last week on our trip to Renacia major.....
20 posted on 10/10/2001 1:15:05 PM PDT by MooCollins

Navigation: use the links below to view more comments.
first 1-2021-4041-6061-80 ... 101-112 next last

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Free Republic
Browse · Search
News/Activism
Topics · Post Article

FreeRepublic, LLC, PO BOX 9771, FRESNO, CA 93794
FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson